Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion > The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) Discussion

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) Discussion Discuss The Ultimate Fighter reality show and Spike-related topics here.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
mumf69

Yellow Belt

vCash: 500
Icon12 Is BJ Penn Overrated ?

I have long wondered what exactly BJ Penn has done to be so popular still to this day. In the TUF it seemed eveyone wanted to be on Penn's team when the other coach, Jens Pulver, beat BJ Penn head to head when defending the championship. He beat Matt Hughes at a heavier weight but never defended his title-so it's not like he was some great champion. He has lost to both St.Pierre & Hughes, in a rematch recently.So please someone tell me why he is viewed as a legend without the track record of what a legend should be.

mumf69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
eworden78

Red Belt

Wow original thread!

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/search...archid=3395250

Old 04-24-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
Sleepdancer

Purple Belt

the man is clearly talented.

I remember when he ko'd Uno in under 11 seconds back in 2001, and Uno is no joke and one of my favorite fighters. Plus you mention the win over the that time godly and much heavier Hughes.

Also completely raped Gomi at Rumble on the rock before that.

I don't think it's so much his acomplishments, but the skill level he's showed even in his loses. They didn't name him the prodigy for no reason.

*Founder of the "kamp"wagon (Martin Kampmann) 14/10 2006*
Sleepdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
Jimmy POP
There Is No Tomorrow

Watch a couple of his fights. You'll realize win or lose he's one of the most exciting fighters in MMA.

[QUOTE=squirtgun;35376845]Herpes are a myth made up by republicans[/QUOTE]

Spits truth, sips whiskey.
Jimmy POP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #5
mumf69

Yellow Belt

Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepdancer
the man is clearly talented.

I remember when he ko'd Uno in under 11 seconds back in 2001, and Uno is no joke and one of my favorite fighters. Plus you mention the win over the that time godly and much heavier Hughes.

Also completely raped Gomi at Rumble on the rock before that.

I don't think it's so much his acomplishments, but the skill level he's showed even in his loses. They didn't name him the prodigy for no reason.
He had a rematch against Uno, right before going up in weight to fight Hughes, & they fought to a draw!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:27 PM   #6
mumf69

Yellow Belt

Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy POP
Watch a couple of his fights. You'll realize win or lose he's one of the most exciting fighters in MMA.
His loss to Jens Pulver was not exciting at all, except for an armbar at the bell. Pulver at that time was a dominate champion,but it was a forgone conclusion that Penn was going to run over him.But in the fight ,this "exciting" Penn did absolutely nothing. The loss was very one-sided & it wasn't a fluke.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
mumf69

Yellow Belt

Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eworden78
Love the sarcasm,not. There are threads constantly, so sorry if there have been 2 other threads like mine.The fact is my question is legit about BJ Penn. Penn hasn't earned his "prodigy" status in MMA. Jens Pulver was also a world champion who beat Penn head to head.The are several posters who think Penn was the greatest LW in UFC History, despite losing in his effort for the title-they chose hype over reality.He did have a very impressive 11 sec win over Uno, but had an unimpressive draw with him in their rematch.Since then he has lost in a rematch against Matt Hughes & lost to GSP-nothing to be embarrassed about-but a "legend" or "prodigy" should win these fights or at least win one of them.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:53 PM   #8
shoffma1999

Green Belt

He is a great fighter, but why people thought he would be such a great coach I will never understand. He was never the type to really work in a huge camp or mentor someone. He is more the selfish style of fighter who is naturally talented. Pulver comes from one of the best MMA camps in the sport. Those guys who raised their hand's so quickly were complete idiots.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #9
Nocturnal1
Banned

The difference between Penn and Pulver is the fact that Penn's ego goes beyond MMA.
He literally thinks that he's god's gift to the UFC, and basically looks down on a lot of talented fighters.

Pulver has a great reputation because he's a really friendly guy that's willing to go out and party with the fans. And he also knows he's famous in the UFC, but he doesn't let fame inflate his ego.

Nocturnal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #10
TacWar

Green Belt

I'm still out on whether he is a great coach, but as a fighter he commands respect. He has that "I'll fight anyone at any weight just because I love to fight" mentality, and in a recent interview for a magazine that I read he said the key to his success was simply outworking the guy across the ring, and I love to hear that from someone with such great talent. As a BJJ fighter he was the first non-Brazilian to win mundials in the black belt division, so mad respect there as well. So I don't think he is underrated at all.

Also Shoffma1999 great quote in your sig man.