Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > The War Room

The War Room Gun-toting neocon? Tree-hugging lib? Duke it out in the War Room.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
clmetal
Iced Earth

vCash: 500
DOE - goal is not to get gas prices down

Quote:
The Energy Department isn’t working to lower gasoline prices directly, Secretary Steven Chu said Tuesday after a Republican lawmaker scolded him for his now-infamous 2008 comment that gas prices in the U.S. should be as high as in Europe.

Instead, DOE is working to promote alternatives such as biofuels and electric vehicles, Chu told House appropriators during a hearing on DOE’s budget.
Quote:
High gasoline prices will make research into such alternatives more urgent, Chu said.

“But is the overall goal to get our price” of gasoline down, asked Nunnelee.

“No, the overall goal is to decrease our dependency on oil, to build and strengthen our economy,” Chu replied.

Chu: DOE working to wean U.S. off oil, not lower prices - Alex Guillen - POLITICO.com

Old 02-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Conan Memories
Banned

Misery and suffering inflicted on the poor and middle class by the Obama Administration on purpose

Conan Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
AgentOrange24
Ice Cold

A noble goal, for the future.

As it currently stands, the U.S. runs on oil. There is no alternative that can be applied on a large scale. High gas prices do everything but strengthen our economy.

No hardcore, barbed wire baseball bat, broken glass, flaming light tube, gerbils up people's poop chutes.
AgentOrange24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
weich

Red Belt

Not a big deal to me.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
SPF50**
Banned

Wake up people. Time is running out.

SPF50** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
GhostZ06

Silver Belt

Energy Department lol

Whats funny is there are a couple sherdoggers who support those useless shit heads

Old 02-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #7
Nico2120
Banned

If you tie it all together, oil companies stand to gain enormous profits over this. They aren't mad, they are happy over this.
The "green" energy investments will be awarded to corporations and companies who have strong ties to Democratic and Republican politicians.
Our once great nation is slowly being forced into a weak, entitlement minded society. Most people have slowly become zombified to Obama's agenda, and willingly go along with whatever he says and does.
I am afraid for what is in store for us in the next 5 years.

Nico2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #8
Kogan

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by weich View Post
Not a big deal to me.
Assuming you're not in the US or don't drive. . .

Kogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:18 AM   #9
pimptight***
Banned

For the love of god, quit re-enforcing this non-sense. Gas prices do need to go up if we are ever going to be energy indpendant.

Right now we produce about 50% of our energy, and our energy efficiency hasn't improved since the 1950's. Europe and Japan are 2 to 3 times more energy efficient we are.

The reason why they are so much more energy efficient is because they pay more for gas.

I drive a V-8, and I will choose to drive a V-8 until it is no longer a viable financial choice for me.

Now, I don't trust the government with more tax dollars, but what I would support is a tax and dividend program. It works like this. Gas is taxed to drive gas prices up to European levels. 100% of this money is put into a dividend, that each adult gets a share of, and kids get a half share of.

The result of this would be that you could buy a more fuel efficent vehicle with your dividend check, and have a new car thats price is offset by gas savings. Same goes for house insulation, windows, using energy efficient light bulbs. The more ways you save energy, the more you get to keep of your dividend payment.

This is known as aligning our interests with our goal of energy independance.

The only way we become energy independant without something like hydrogen, is through efficiency, and anyone who says otherwise is telling a bold faced lie!!

pimptight*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:50 AM   #10
Prokofievian

I'll bite: how do you propose Obama and the DOE lower gas prices?