Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > The War Room

The War Room Gun-toting neocon? Tree-hugging lib? Duke it out in the War Room.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
pimptight***
Banned

vCash: 500
Colbert's super pact

So I don't have much time to write this, but I'm curious to what everyone thinks the implications of this is.

My first thought was that, Colbert and Stewart can single handedly become more influencial then all the money in politics. Of course not just them, but this would basically allow talking heads with creative control over their programs to become heavy wieghts in the political arena.

I mean if Colbert can use product placement in exchange for political contributions to his pact just think of the implications. How much do you think Comedy Central makes on advertising in a year for his show? I would bet it comes close to the 100 million mark. If Colbert could even generate 20 million through donations and product placement then the supreme court and citizens united just created a new serious special interest to be dealt with.

I'm not exactly stoked for talking heads to gain more influence, but I do like the idea of actually seeing the faces of the people controlling the pocket books of our politicians!

pimptight*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
McGillicutty**
Banned

*pac

McGillicutty** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:51 AM   #3
shalabi
Banned

The sad part is that Colbert/Stewart are the most attractive candidates if they ran. Not because they would do a better job but because they would do a poor job TRYING!

shalabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:51 AM   #4
NoFreeSpeech

Black Belt

You can thank Karl Rove/Fox News for showing Colbert and his lawyers how to do this.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:57 AM   #5
JerseyTrash

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFreeSpeech View Post
You can thank Karl Rove/Fox News for showing Colbert and his lawyers how to do this.
Most GOP types still don't get the fact that Colbert is basically a mockery of Fox.

JerseyTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
theocean

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyTrash View Post
Most GOP types still don't get the fact that Colbert is basically a mockery of Fox.
Are you implying that he doesnt mean everything he says on that show?

Official machinegunner of the HIT SQUAD!!!
theocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
Aas Gutú Adéli

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimptight View Post
So I don't have much time to write this, but I'm curious to what everyone thinks the implications of this is.

My first thought was that, Colbert and Stewart can single handedly become more influencial then all the money in politics. Of course not just them, but this would basically allow talking heads with creative control over their programs to become heavy wieghts in the political arena.

I mean if Colbert can use product placement in exchange for political contributions to his pact just think of the implications. How much do you think Comedy Central makes on advertising in a year for his show? I would bet it comes close to the 100 million mark. If Colbert could even generate 20 million through donations and product placement then the supreme court and citizens united just created a new serious special interest to be dealt with.

I'm not exactly stoked for talking heads to gain more influence, but I do like the idea of actually seeing the faces of the people controlling the pocket books of our politicians!
that is a lot of made up numbers (well just two, but since your premise rests on them it makes things a bit shakey).

Old 05-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #8
SPF50**
Banned

I know nothing of this super pac thing. But I read where you said colber/stewart might run?

I think that would be great. Equivelant to Donald Trump representing republicans.

The other thought that is going through my very small and limited brain:
I guess this blows your "John Stewert is just a comedian" crap out of the water everytime someone compares him to fox? ....lets hear the excuses.....

SPF50** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
Aas Gutú Adéli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPF50 View Post
I know nothing of this super pac thing. But I read where you said colber/stewart might run?

I think that would be great. Equivelant to Donald Trump representing republicans.

The other thought that is going through my very small and limited brain:
I guess this blows your "John Stewert is just a comedian" crap out of the water everytime someone compares him to fox? ....lets hear the excuses.....
Colbert "ran" last presidential election
it's just part of their meta analysis
you got to see the obstacles and whatnot