Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > The War Room

The War Room Gun-toting neocon? Tree-hugging lib? Duke it out in the War Room.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
pimptight***
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Seattle, Wa.
Posts: 12,117
vCash: 500
Colbert's super pact

So I don't have much time to write this, but I'm curious to what everyone thinks the implications of this is.

My first thought was that, Colbert and Stewart can single handedly become more influencial then all the money in politics. Of course not just them, but this would basically allow talking heads with creative control over their programs to become heavy wieghts in the political arena.

I mean if Colbert can use product placement in exchange for political contributions to his pact just think of the implications. How much do you think Comedy Central makes on advertising in a year for his show? I would bet it comes close to the 100 million mark. If Colbert could even generate 20 million through donations and product placement then the supreme court and citizens united just created a new serious special interest to be dealt with.

I'm not exactly stoked for talking heads to gain more influence, but I do like the idea of actually seeing the faces of the people controlling the pocket books of our politicians!

pimptight*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
McGillicutty**
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Fucking Texas
Posts: 2,422
vCash: 500
*pac

McGillicutty** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:51 AM   #3
shalabi
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,740
vCash: 500
The sad part is that Colbert/Stewart are the most attractive candidates if they ran. Not because they would do a better job but because they would do a poor job TRYING!

shalabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:51 AM   #4
NoFreeSpeech

Black Belt
 
NoFreeSpeech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,148
vCash: 500
You can thank Karl Rove/Fox News for showing Colbert and his lawyers how to do this.

__________________
"I understand that you poblay don't take our opinions seriously since we are not scientests." - footgod
NoFreeSpeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:57 AM   #5
JerseyTrash

Silver Belt
 
JerseyTrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFreeSpeech View Post
You can thank Karl Rove/Fox News for showing Colbert and his lawyers how to do this.
Most GOP types still don't get the fact that Colbert is basically a mockery of Fox.

JerseyTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
theocean

Silver Belt
 
theocean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyTrash View Post
Most GOP types still don't get the fact that Colbert is basically a mockery of Fox.
Are you implying that he doesnt mean everything he says on that show?

__________________
i always show up.....thats what the main event does

Official machinegunner of the HIT SQUAD!!!
theocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
Aas Gutú Adéli
 
Aas Gutú Adéli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: KCMO
Posts: 72,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimptight View Post
So I don't have much time to write this, but I'm curious to what everyone thinks the implications of this is.

My first thought was that, Colbert and Stewart can single handedly become more influencial then all the money in politics. Of course not just them, but this would basically allow talking heads with creative control over their programs to become heavy wieghts in the political arena.

I mean if Colbert can use product placement in exchange for political contributions to his pact just think of the implications. How much do you think Comedy Central makes on advertising in a year for his show? I would bet it comes close to the 100 million mark. If Colbert could even generate 20 million through donations and product placement then the supreme court and citizens united just created a new serious special interest to be dealt with.

I'm not exactly stoked for talking heads to gain more influence, but I do like the idea of actually seeing the faces of the people controlling the pocket books of our politicians!
that is a lot of made up numbers (well just two, but since your premise rests on them it makes things a bit shakey).

__________________
the nights that make me feel dumbest in this sport are the ones that make me appreciate it most
Aas Gutú Adéli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #8
SPF50**
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Outside in the weather.
Posts: 3,731
vCash: 500
I know nothing of this super pac thing. But I read where you said colber/stewart might run?

I think that would be great. Equivelant to Donald Trump representing republicans.

The other thought that is going through my very small and limited brain:
I guess this blows your "John Stewert is just a comedian" crap out of the water everytime someone compares him to fox? ....lets hear the excuses.....

SPF50** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
Aas Gutú Adéli
 
Aas Gutú Adéli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: KCMO
Posts: 72,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPF50 View Post
I know nothing of this super pac thing. But I read where you said colber/stewart might run?

I think that would be great. Equivelant to Donald Trump representing republicans.

The other thought that is going through my very small and limited brain:
I guess this blows your "John Stewert is just a comedian" crap out of the water everytime someone compares him to fox? ....lets hear the excuses.....
Colbert "ran" last presidential election
it's just part of their meta analysis
you got to see the obstacles and whatnot

__________________
the nights that make me feel dumbest in this sport are the ones that make me appreciate it most
Aas Gutú Adéli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Latest Threads



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.

Sherdog.com Forum Rules Clear Cookies Social Groups Lost Password
Contact Us - Sherdog Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices

Skin made by Alex. © iStyles.uni.cc Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
forums.sherdog.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.
monitoring_string = "fd5733925866a04e50edd70f38dfaa35"
monitoring_string = "603ac9fff68f23709f2a42bf5e29272b"