Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Boxing Discussion

Boxing Discussion The Suite of the Sweet Science of Fisticuffs.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:07 AM   #81
WatchMeDoMe**
Banned

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast Bar View Post
I've got plenty of links I could post to prove what I said, but I'm not going to bother. I don't want to stop anyone who wants to make stupid arguments from doing so. I'm assuming everybody else doesn't have Google blocked on their computer.
Every other athlete's pay is easily found, yet MMA fighters pay is secret information locked away deep inside the Kremlin. That, or the back room bonuses are bullshit.

WatchMeDoMe** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #82
Muay o Muay

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWB1982 View Post
I still say that a great boxer will beat a great kickboxer or a great Muay Thai fighter...

Boxing is too refined. The hands in the other arts are too sloppy. Their defense is too sloppy and their kicks don't make up for it. Boxing also breeds better athletes. Athletically, they are on another level. The talent pool is so much bigger in boxing.

I think Mayweather would destroy any Muay Thai fighter or any kickboxer in his weight class in a striking only match. Let Mayweather watch some videos of his opponent and it will be a wrap.
You are trolling right !?

Pain is temporary-pride is forever!
Muay o Muay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #83
Zuni

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWB1982 View Post
I still say that a great boxer will beat a great kickboxer or a great Muay Thai fighter...

Boxing is too refined. The hands in the other arts are too sloppy. Their defense is too sloppy and their kicks don't make up for it. Boxing also breeds better athletes. Athletically, they are on another level. The talent pool is so much bigger in boxing.

I think Mayweather would destroy any Muay Thai fighter or any kickboxer in his weight class in a striking only match. Let Mayweather watch some videos of his opponent and it will be a wrap.
You are fucking crazy. You could fly Floyd Mayweather to Thailand and let him train for as long as he wants to and he'd still get crushed by a top Muay Thai fighter. Floyd wins in boxing, Thai boxer wins in Muay Thai.

"Youth is wasted on the young." George Bernard Shaw
Zuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #84
Sunfish
Martinez Belt

vCash: 921
To the last two posters, he said in a striking only match. He didn't say they would win at Muay Thai.

Sunfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #85
Muay o Muay

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
To the last two posters, he said in a striking only match. He didn't say they would win at Muay Thai.
Yes I read what he said.

Pain is temporary-pride is forever!
Muay o Muay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #86
Sunfish
Martinez Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muay o Muay View Post
Yes I read what he said.
Who you got beating mayweather then?

Old 02-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #87
ZroC

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast Bar View Post
You do know that the UFC has a different pay model than boxing typically has, right? The numbers that NSAC publishes are only a fraction of what UFC fighters make.
Same for boxing.

Quote:
Even Rampage makes more than a million a fight we recently found out. GSP is rumored to make between 2.5 and 5 million per fight.
Recently found out? You're assuming a man who always lies in public isn't lying in public this time? How many times now has Dana said some stupid shit in public that hasn't turned out to be remotely true? Remember when he said Nike were dropping Manny for Jon Jones? MMA fans and the media aren't capable of thinking for themselves. Every time Dana says something the lot of them take it as fact without even digging into it. Just like when Dana said Nike were dropping Manny you can practically here the interviewer fapping off camera "Huh!? Oh really WOOOOWIW Mr White."

Even then he says nothing about where the 15 million came from? He was in that A-Team movie, is Dana trying to take credit for that the same way he tries take credit for sponsorship money?

Quote:
Not Mayweather and Pacquiao numbers, but better than just about everyone else and certainly better than Kessler.
Kessler consistently makes over a million as a purse alone. I don't think there has ever been a UFC fighter who has made that much just as purse. After that he earns TV rights and sponsorship money.

I can't really remember what it was but I think Kessler made a 1.8 million purse fighting Brian Magee (800k purse) in Denmark. Taking that alone and comparing it to what you say about GSP (UFC's biggest draw and most important fighter) earning a RUMOURED 5 million when all is added up, we see Kessler is actually making almost half up front than what GSP makes in total. So yes, it would appear Kessler does make more than GSP.

Last edited by ZroC; 02-01-2013 at 11:38 AM.
ZroC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #88
Zuni

Purple Belt

Quote:
Muay Thai is like 99% striking. You have some clinches and throws but they don't really grapple.

How about if we just go with K-1 rules then? Muay Thai fighter still wins.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #89
Sunfish
Martinez Belt

Striking meaning not kicking was what I assumed he meant.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #90
Zuni

Purple Belt

Quote:
Striking meaning not kicking was what I assumed he meant.
Striking doesn't mean not kicking though. Not kicking would mean a boxing match. In a stand up striking match it would look a lot like this: