Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Boxing Discussion

Boxing Discussion The Suite of the Sweet Science of Fisticuffs.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:04 AM   #1
kidsNkids
Banned

vCash: 500
Measuring Reach?

I was basicly wondering how a fighters reach is measured? For example like chest to fist, armpit to fingertips and how do you stand when being measured?

kidsNkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:38 AM   #2
BootyDaddy
Big Bad

It's basically your wing span. Arms held out by your sides (scarecrow style), fist to fist.

Check us out:
http://www.nobsboxing.com/
BootyDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:56 AM   #3
Justice
Did I do that?

I just do it up against a wall and get someone to mark it and measure it

Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:24 AM   #4
kidsNkids
Banned

thanks

Old 11-28-2006, 11:46 AM   #5
Sharkhunter

Green Belt

used to be armpit to fingers, now its the hole span

Sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:48 PM   #6
TimmyC
Amateur Fighter

It use to be finger tip to finger tip and still is used that way. But HBO uses the proper reach: armpit to end of the fist! Some guys have long long fingers which have nothing to do w/ reach. Also a big back will increase you reach from the old method. I big back kinda in a way increases reach(if the fighter turns sideways properly)...squared up fighters a big back doesn't really do much. I think Ali was 6'3" and had a 78.5 inch reach. Larry Holmes was 6'3.5 and had an 81 inch reach. I'm 6'3" but only have a 75inch reach(due to small hands). Long fingers could give you a FALSE 2 to 3 inch reach. i LIKE knuckles to armpit.

TimmyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:10 PM   #7
kidsNkids
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiimmy
It use to be finger tip to finger tip and still is used that way. But HBO uses the proper reach: armpit to end of the fist! Some guys have long long fingers which have nothing to do w/ reach. Also a big back will increase you reach from the old method. I big back kinda in a way increases reach(if the fighter turns sideways properly)...squared up fighters a big back doesn't really do much. I think Ali was 6'3" and had a 78.5 inch reach. Larry Holmes was 6'3.5 and had an 81 inch reach. I'm 6'3" but only have a 75inch reach(due to small hands). Long fingers could give you a FALSE 2 to 3 inch reach. i LIKE knuckles to armpit.
I was wondering this because i have had several tears in my rotator cuffs and tend to have a longer reach than most people my height. im 6'1 and meausred 70in span from fist to fist and 78 from tip to tip. I was once told that your height is the same lenght as your wing span but after my own experience and seeing fighters of the same height with varying reaches i needed to find out how reach was measured.