Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Boxing Discussion

Boxing Discussion The Suite of the Sweet Science of Fisticuffs.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #21
5acrossYOeye

Silver Belt

vCash: 500
at least it isn't margarito

5acrossYOeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #22
Far Queue
Leatherbelt

Lee is fighting Alexis Camacho on the 10th March wtf

Andy Lee vs. Alexis Camacho on March 10th

Last edited by Far Queue; 03-02-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Far Queue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #23
The Batkilt
Lord of the Crossing

Why the "wtf"? It's a keep busy fight for him. DiBella kept him off the Macklin/Martinez undercard as he was hoping to land him a fight with Felix Sturm in Germany for the WBA Middleweight Title. When Sturm opted to face Sebastian Zbik instead, DiBella couldn't put him on the Macklin/Martinez bill - so he's got him this fight to keep him active as all the other middleweight champions and contenders are either in action or scheduled to be.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #24
ZroC

Red Belt

Fuck. It would have been brilliant if they fought in Ireland. I never get to see fighters of Jr's calibre. Already thinking of flying to Nottingham just to see Bute-Froch. It's a rarity to have top fights in these parts.

ZroC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #25
The Batkilt
Lord of the Crossing

If Macklin upsets Martinez and/or Lee wins a 'world' title I'd expect them to top a bill in Ireland, ZroC. A Macklin/Lee fight in Belfast or Dublin would make perfect sense, but I think DiBella would put that on in the Theatre in MSG in front of 5,000 and the British boxing press would report it as though the fight is taking place in the main MSG - just like they did for Khan/Malignaggi and are doing for Martinez/Macklin.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #26
Far Queue
Leatherbelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batkilt View Post
Why the "wtf"? It's a keep busy fight for him.
Big Lee fan and thought the JCC fight was signed and sealed. Never seen Camacho fight, high KO % but hasn't been active lately. How dangerous is it for a keep busy fight?

Old 03-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #27
The Batkilt
Lord of the Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Far Queue View Post
Big Lee fan and thought the JCC fight was signed and sealed. Never seen Camacho fight, high KO % but hasn't been active lately. How dangerous is it for a keep busy fight?
Not very. Camacho has mostly fought at welterweight, and was stopped in his last fight at that weight a couple of years ago by Shamone Alvarez. (Yes, 'Shamone'.)

There are new rumours and 'reports' on who JCCJ is fighting every week. I think HBO favour Andy Lee as the opponent, but it seems Chavez's team aren't too keen on him facing a southpaw at this point and would prefer Martin Murray. I'm guessing the Lee fight will happen, and I'd put money on Chavez winning on points.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #28
Cracky

Red Belt

good fight..tough to pick

Old 03-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #29
Far Queue
Leatherbelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batkilt View Post
Not very. Camacho has mostly fought at welterweight, and was stopped in his last fight at that weight a couple of years ago by Shamone Alvarez. (Yes, 'Shamone'.)

There are new rumours and 'reports' on who JCCJ is fighting every week. I think HBO favour Andy Lee as the opponent, but it seems Chavez's team aren't too keen on him facing a southpaw at this point and would prefer Martin Murray. I'm guessing the Lee fight will happen, and I'd put money on Chavez winning on points.
Cheers, I would imagine HBO can sell Lee better than MM. Regardless who does win I think its a great match up, 2 tidy fighters.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #30
The Batkilt
Lord of the Crossing

I think Chavez/Martin would do just as well as Chavez/Lee would ratings wise and attendance wise to be honest - Chavez is the draw there, not Murray or Lee. Lee might be considered a "better fighter" by bloggers and boxing fans, but that doesn't mean much when it comes to the business side of things.

Lee would be a more credible win though, but I don't think he's that much of a step up from Zbik at all really. The main stylistic threat he poses is that he's got an awkward style and he's a southpaw, and I guess that's why Team Chavez aren't too enamoured with him for an opponent.