Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Boxing Discussion

Boxing Discussion The Suite of the Sweet Science of Fisticuffs.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #101
Sunfish
Martinez Belt

vCash: 921
Definitive proof of what happens if you challenge an ex boxing champ to a street fight. This is da streetz proof we're looking for.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #102
RawHawg

Green Belt

vCash: 500
Can anyone please help me remember which fighter this was? It was a story about an old ex-boxing champ, I think perhaps Jack Dempsey or Archie Moore. It was something like: they were on vacation in Europe with their wife, and were older, 60s or 70s in age. Some young thugs tried to rob them, and the ex-fighter immediately knocked both of the criminals out and later commented "it was easy, like beating up a kid". If anyone could help me verify the fighter in this story I would greatly appreciate it. I read about it probably 20 years ago but the name escapes me currently. If memory serves me correctly the incident in question occurred in the 1960s or 70s.

RawHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #103
LazyViking

White Belt

Awesome

LazyViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #104
mozfonky
We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawHawg View Post
Can anyone please help me remember which fighter this was? It was a story about an old ex-boxing champ, I think perhaps Jack Dempsey or Archie Moore. It was something like: they were on vacation in Europe with their wife, and were older, 60s or 70s in age. Some young thugs tried to rob them, and the ex-fighter immediately knocked both of the criminals out and later commented "it was easy, like beating up a kid". If anyone could help me verify the fighter in this story I would greatly appreciate it. I read about it probably 20 years ago but the name escapes me currently. If memory serves me correctly the incident in question occurred in the 1960s or 70s.
could have been many different guys because its happened to many old fighters. i dont remember any story of being in europe but jack dempsey beat up thugs on more than one occasion, on time he was in his 70s or 80s and two guys open both doors to a taxi he was in, he punched both of them. billy conn has also stopped a robber in progress and always described fighting normal men like a man fighting a woman, its absolutely true. Personally, i dont lord it over anyone but i know that if it comes down to it 99 percent of the men i come across i could put out in less than ten seconds, that has caused me problems in job situations when someone threatens to get physical, because i just cant let that go. then when people back down from shit they started, im the bad guy. thats why, no one needs any situation like that, fighters can kill, maim and seriously injure people and land themselves in prison for some shit they didnt even want to happen.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #105
SWATCOP

Green Belt

Quote:
I think it was in the late 80s or early 90s, and I think it was Billy Conn you are referring to. He made a statement very similar to that after stopping a robbery, I think at a store.

"My name is my name!" - Marlo Stanfield (The Wire)
SWATCOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:00 AM   #106
axhand1e

wait... that was cool and all, but I thought street fight vids were a no no

-- Fawlty assessment of Ax
axhand1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:03 AM   #107
axhand1e

Quote:

Jake LaMotta? Just guessing here... if so he would've been younger tho, like 40s or 50s so I'm prbly wrong. Just sounds like something he would do. Also Rocky Graziano is also coming to mind for some reason

Old 05-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #108
Paradigm

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuni View Post
I fully agree with everything you just said. I just didn't like how everyone was standing around laughing at the unconscious guy when he could have been seriously injured. It seemed to me that the guys laughing at the guy who was KO'd might even be his friends.
im not sure this is a neighborhood to be concerned about other people in. everybody has their own problems already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axhand1e View Post
wait... that was cool and all, but I thought street fight vids were a no no
lol...thats what i thought also.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:27 AM   #109
mozfonky
We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axhand1e View Post
Jake LaMotta? Just guessing here... if so he would've been younger tho, like 40s or 50s so I'm prbly wrong. Just sounds like something he would do. Also Rocky Graziano is also coming to mind for some reason
ive heard jake in his 50s was beating up a guy in an alley and mugging him, a friend walked by and screamed what are you doing and jake screamed back keeping in practice. violence is in the marrow of the great fighters somewhere, usually they confine it very well but its there. Ive only heard of ali fighting in the streets when he was a kid, liston was a mob enforcer, dempsey was a fighting hobo whod beat anyone up for food. just the worlds they come from, you can take a moral look at it or whatever but they wouldnt be fighters without it.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:03 AM   #110
axhand1e

Tyson was prbly one of the worst ever before being discovered and adopted by Cus D'Amato... I read that he was mugging and beating down male adults when he was 13 years old... not that he left women out, just stating how mean and dangerous he was at a young age