Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Boxing Discussion

Boxing Discussion The Suite of the Sweet Science of Fisticuffs.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
patscorpio

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
1. James “Lights out” Toney - agree..that lebedev fight was alarming to watch

2. Roy Jones Jr. - agree...its a bad cycle..he beats bums; faces a live body and gets bodied...there are some dangerous cruisers out there..looks very bleak

3. Erik Morales - agree - he's not shot in the physical sense but he's just not hungry anymore

4. Jermain Taylor - agree..dude had a brain bleed..i always thought that was an automatic career ender?

5. Bernard Hopkins - disagree...gotta wait until this rematch with dawson to fully convince me

6. Jose Luis Castillo - agree.....shot to pieces!!!!

7. “Sugar” Shane Mosley - disagree..still serviceable..for how long remains to be seen

8. Ricardo Mayorga -disagree..he's only lost to the elite

9. Acelino Freitas - i thought he had retired?

10. Ronald “Winky” Wright - too inactive for me to say if he needs to retire or not

11. Evander Holyfield - 100% AGREE!!!..its a shame that the heavyweight division is so piss poor that he's actually still around..thank goodness the klitschkos won't fight him out of respect

patscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #12
Athenry04

Black Belt

vCash: 1182
Oh god, Danny Williams

LUHG
Athenry04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
Supreme Allah
Banned

I've always taken the stance that fighters shouldn't be forced to retire, not have I been one to lobby for certain fighters to exit the sport, but damn, if Jones Jr. and Holyfield called it quits tomorrow I'd breathe a sigh of relief.

Supreme Allah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
Seano
Hands of bone

vCash: 910
I would take Taylor and Mayorga off the list but agree otherwise.

I think people overreacted a tad to Taylor getting stopped a couple of times.

Mayorga is a fun opponent for a guy needing a tuneup. He hasn't taken any really bad beatings.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #15
The Batkilt
Lord of the Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonstyle915 View Post
Honorable Mentions. ;
Antonio Tarver (He’s headlining a Showbox card on Showtime… really?)
“Chop Chop” Corley. (From buzzing Mayweather and Cotto, to a tune up on Telemundo)

Emanuel Augustus (So much talent too… but the man has 34 losses and lost last 5)
Ray Austin (He used to be quite decent, I just don’t need to see him on TV anymore)

And of course the man i forgot, Casamayor, who I would put in place of Jermain Taylor on the list lol

Who'd I miss?

Halestorm Sports Network » 11 boxers who need to hang em up.
I don't really agree with these two. Tarver doesn't look shot at all, and it's not as though he's putting himself in with guys that can smoke him. Lateef Kayode is a very winnable fight for him, and one that should put him in the mix for one of the numerous WBA titles. He'd beat Guillermo Jones, in my opinion, and I wouldn't put it past to him to outbox Lebedev too.

As for Chop Chop? He's a gatekeeper at this point, and he's not got much left, but he's not on the same level as Jones, Toney, Holyfield etc. Some of his losses in recent years have been dubious, and he's coming off a 'W' in his last fight. I don't see him being competitive at the top of the division but he's still got enough in the tank to be a decent measuring stick for prospects.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to see any fighter end up a shell of themselves before they even reach their 50s, but I don't think these guys look to be on that road at this point.

The Batkilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #16
5acrossYOeye

Silver Belt

margarito...i don't want to see his eye pop out in during a fight.

5acrossYOeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
TexasDrugAddict
Banned

1.Pac
2.Floyd
3.Vatili

P.S Augutus is fighting Forbes soon and i actully think that might be a good fight that i want to see.

TexasDrugAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #18
KyleInAction
***HOPKINS BELT***

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDrugAddict View Post
1.Pac
2.Floyd
3.Vatili

P.S Augutus is fighting Forbes soon and i actully think that might be a good fight that i want to see.
I just saw that. The talk of Augustus got me thinking what he's been up to lately. Apparently he's been up getting an exciting fight. I haven't seen Forbes since the de la Hoya fight.

"Nobody ever says anything worth reading on twitter. [..] It's like Facebook for stupid people, and Facebook people are knocking on average's door." - Madmick
KyleInAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #19
Vi

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme Allah View Post
I've always taken the stance that fighters shouldn't be forced to retire, not have I been one to lobby for certain fighters to exit the sport, but damn, if Jones Jr. and Holyfield called it quits tomorrow I'd breathe a sigh of relief.
Agreed.Neither Holy or RJJ has anything left to prove and both will never be at the level they once were.It's been sad watching Roy take these beatings over the last couple years.Since he beat Ruiz,it hasn't been the same ever since.

Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #20
WolfManJiuJitsu***
Banned

Shane Mosley - I hate to see him get beat up by guys he'd have torched in his prime - hell he was calling out mayweather and Manny after he destroyed Margo'cheato in '09 and neither would take that fight. I can give credit to Mayweather for at least taking the fight (a year and a half later) when it was still thought mosley had something to offer.

Please Mosley - Retire.

WolfManJiuJitsu*** is offline   Reply With Quote