Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Strength & Conditioning Discussion > Training Logs

Old 09-28-2014, 08:02 AM   #1
BellyDownArmbar

Blue Belt

vCash: 50
Trying not to completely suck at everything

New log (I know, this is my third, but there's been so much going on the past couple of months, to the point where I had to stop BJJ, Lifting, everything). Hopefully third time's the charm as I've dialed my poop in(don't want to get banned), done my research, and am ready to get going!

About Me: 15 years old, 5'3, 140 lbs, 23% body fat

Goals: To not gas out as quick during BJJ, to increase my strength to where I'm not as weak as a kitten anymore, to get down to 12% body fat.

NOTE: Sessions are colour coded. For example, Lifting sessions are orange, LSD Cardio sessions are green, and the Prowler sessions are red, because they are THE DEVIL INCARNATE! See below. This will make the log easier to read IMO, like for example, if you don't give a poop(again, don't wanna get banned) about my conditioning, read the orange posts.

Lifting - Greyskull LP.

Prowler: 15 minute sessions after lifting.

LSD Cardio: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday keeping HR at around 140-145 BPM for 60 mins, will likely use treadmill, starting with incline walking and building up to running.

Last edited by BellyDownArmbar; 10-01-2014 at 07:20 AM.
BellyDownArmbar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
WalterSobchek

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Just be light on the lifting at 15yrs old and on the shorter side as you can damage epiphyseal plates if you aren't careful ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445252/ ). However, this is not to say weight training is bad. Try to focus on body weight exercises like pull-ups, push-ups (narrow & wide), etc.

Stretching is obviously important for bjj but also recovery. Plus keeping your hamstrings limber will help insulate you from back discomfort/ injuries later on.

Good luck.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
BellyDownArmbar

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchek View Post
Just be light on the lifting at 15yrs old and on the shorter side as you can damage epiphyseal plates if you aren't careful ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445252/ ). However, this is not to say weight training is bad. Try to focus on body weight exercises like pull-ups, push-ups (narrow & wide), etc.

Stretching is obviously important for bjj but also recovery. Plus keeping your hamstrings limber will help insulate you from back discomfort/ injuries later on.

Good luck.
I've heard many times, on this forum, that it's fine to lift weights, do squats, deadlifts, etc at my age.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
WalterSobchek

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyDownArmbar View Post
I've heard many times, on this forum, that it's fine to lift weights, do squats, deadlifts, etc at my age.
Okay, then disregard the journal article I posted and adhere to the unrivaled wisdom of Sherdog.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
Ethan

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchek View Post
Okay, then disregard the journal article I posted and adhere to the unrivaled wisdom of Sherdog.
That study recommends a variety of loading mechanisms including free weights. What it says to avoid is single repetitions with a maximal load-heavy to max singles-which is not aligned with the goals and focus of a beginner anyway.

Swoledier

500lb back squat by June 2016. Current PB: 365
Ethan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
BellyDownArmbar

Blue Belt

Monday - LSD Cardio

Incline Treadmill Walking - 5.0 incline, 3.0 mph, HR normally averaging between 140 - 145 BPM, once going as low as 137 and once being as high as 150 when I started. Time: 60 mins

Felt good after workout, not gasping for air but still felt it in my breathing and lungs, heart, etc. Bad news, though, can't lift to Wednesday. Basically, cos I'm under 18, an adult needs to be with me when I lift weights, and my Dad can't afford membership till Wednesday. I'll probably do W-F-Sun this week, then back to T-Th-Sat next week. On the plus side though, my toe which I hurt when I jumped in the shallow end of a pool (I didn't know it was the shallow end) is finally healed. Meaning tonight I get to go back to BJJ

Last edited by BellyDownArmbar; 09-30-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
BellyDownArmbar

Blue Belt

Well, BJJ was awesome, as per usual! Worked on posturing up and breaking posture in the closed guard (worked on pulling our knees in to our chest explosively so they put their hands down), collar choke, and situp sweep to collar choke from mount. So glad to be back.

NOTE: Normally, the plan is to lift, then have a quick 15-minute Prowler session afterwards. Due to the reasons mentioned above, it now appears that I won't be able to lift till next Tuesday. So, I'll just be doing the Prowler on those days, while normally, I'd be doing both.

Tuesday - Prowler
The place where we can push the Prowler is a small space (6m) so what I do is push it on the vertical horns, run around and push it back on the horizontal horns.

Went in with the intention to put on a 10kg plate on each horn. Too heavy, so went with a 5kg on each plate. Wanted to do 10 40 yard sprints (about 36m, so going up and down 6 times in out 6m space). I made it 24m on my first sprint before I had to stop. Rested, then did 4 more 24m sprints. Felt exhausted, left, and realised something.........

......Prowler flu is real. I couldn't move for about 5 minutes or else I was going to vomit! Eventually I mustered up the strength to walk home, but it was a good half hour before the queasiness went away.

NoGi BJJ tonight, lookin forward to it!

Last edited by BellyDownArmbar; 09-30-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
BellyDownArmbar

Blue Belt

Teenagers class was first. In the teens class on Tuesday we work more on MMA stuff, on Thursday's teens class you can wear a Gi and it's all BJJ. Worked on boxing footwork, jab cross single leg, and jab double leg. Then it was NoGi BJJ with the adults and it was great. Worked on breaking posture to half-butterfly sweep to arm triangle.

Wednesday - LSD Cardio

Stationary Bike (Treadmills were taken) - Level 2 resistance, tried to keep between 80 - 85 RPM, 60 mins, HR 140 - 145 BPM

Felt good, but man these are starting to get boring. Might need to take some music.

Gi BJJ with the adults tonight, it's the biggest class in the club!

Old 10-02-2014, 05:49 AM   #9
BellyDownArmbar

Blue Belt

Incase you're wondering, the bits of info about my BJJ are based on the class I did the day before, reason being is that I lift/do cardio in the morning and update my log as soon as I'm done. So that night's BJJ class goes in the next day's log entry.

Gi class last night. Worked on an omoplata sweep from when your opponent postures up and breaks your guard. One of our guys got his Blue Belt last night, so we all whacked him with our belts .

Thursday - Prowler
Wasn't as bad today - slowed down a bit. Still stuck at 5kg each side, on first 3 sprints, got 30m (32.8 yrds), then on next 3 got 24m (26.25 yrds).

Teenagers BJJ tonight, then with the adults, WRESTLING, aka the hardest class :icon_cry!

Old 10-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #10
BellyDownArmbar

Blue Belt

Friday - LSD Cardio
Incline Treadmill Walking - 8.0 incline, 4 kph for 60 mins, kept HR between 135 - 150 BPM. Felt good.

Will switch on the Prowler - instead of sprinting, alternating with vertical horns & horizontal horn, I shall be more walking/pushing with heaviwe weights and using exclusively the vertical horns, spinning the Prowler around when I reach the end of my space. But, now, if I clear the stuff away, I can now have a 8 - 9 metre space to push the Prowler!

Last edited by BellyDownArmbar; 10-03-2014 at 12:15 PM.