Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Strength & Conditioning Discussion > Training Logs

Old 04-15-2006, 06:13 PM   #61
Jimmy Cerra
Amateur Fighter

vCash: 500
4-14-2006

Took it easy. Went to the Pitt BJJ Club, but we didn't do much of anything.

Old 04-15-2006, 06:50 PM   #62
Jimmy Cerra
Amateur Fighter

4-15-2006

Went to CMU. Drew logged practice. Brendan showed a lot of takedowns from the two on one:
  • Two on one to grabbing his hip and blocking his leg and taking him down.
  • Two on one to fake footsweep to snap down.
  • Two on one, if he circles to square up with you and posts his arm, use the two on one to knock his arm that's posting up and do a shot on the far leg.
  • Two on one, if he grabs your wrist, grab his wrist and do the sacrifice throw.
Then Drew showed us a few arm drag katamewaza:
  • Arm drag from closed guard to back
  • Arm drag from butterfly guard to back.
Then we rolled for a while. I participated but took it easy because of my knee. TODO: UPDATE WITH MORE DESCRIPTIVE ACCOUNT AND WEBIFY.

Went to Bill Vucick's UFF to train. Went over a few armbar setups from side-control with his arm between my arms:
  • Low-Side Armbar
    1. His arm is on leg-side of my head.
    2. Control with an underhook pressuring into his shoulder.
    3. Pull him to the side. No space between you and him. Not necessary for knee-on-belly.
    4. Crossface. Replace crossface with leg (foot on floor, not face, you psycho).
    5. Spin to 90 degrees if possible (45 usually what happens).
    6. Armbar. Da ta da!
  • High-Side Armbar
    1. His arm is on the opposite side of my head.
    2. Control with an underhook. Put my low-side hand on his opposite hip (near me) to prevent escape.
    3. Drive him to his side while I spin to north-south position. I want my knee/leg in his back in the center of his shoulder blades. This supports him. The other knee goes over his head for control.
    4. Could do a NS Kimura, but I will instead do a NS Armbar. (Note my comment in article.)
He finally showed us a strange choke that I don't quite understand yet. Afterward Bill drove us to the park, where we pushed his car a short distance up a slight incline. First two times, Bob and I pushed it together. For the third time we each did it individually. That was hard! Afterward we did 50-50-50 (squats, pushups, situps).

Old 04-17-2006, 11:03 AM   #63
Jimmy Cerra
Amateur Fighter

More wrestling takedowns

Old 04-17-2006, 08:55 PM   #64
Jimmy Cerra
Amateur Fighter

4-16-2006

Easter!

Last edited by Jimmy Cerra; 04-17-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Jimmy Cerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:00 PM   #65
Jimmy Cerra
Amateur Fighter

4-17-2006

After yesterday's rest, I was ready to kick ass. Unfortunately, I didn't get to do much today. I first went running on the ellipitical. Data Recorded:
  • Time: 33 minutes
  • Distance: 3.60 miles
  • Energy Used: 443.3 (kilo) calories
  • Average Heart Rate: 153 beats/minute
  • Maximum Heart Rate: 177 beats/minute
So I didn't go as fast today as I did on 04-05-06. I gotta do better next time. Then I went to the Pitt BJJ Club, but we didn't do anything of note.

Last edited by Jimmy Cerra; 04-17-2006 at 09:43 PM.
Jimmy Cerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:14 PM   #66
Jimmy Cerra
Amateur Fighter

4-18-2006

Went to Judo Class. Got a Yellow Rank Certificate. Which Kyu is that? We did sumo shiai for the entire class. I went 2-1, IIRC.

After class I rolled with Matt and Adam for a while. I tapped Matt, Adam tapped me, Matt tapped Adam. Haha. Matt is graduating, so the rematch will be whenever he can come back for a visit. ;-)

Went to the Pittsburgh Fight Club to train with Mike Nesto because I didn't get to roll last time I was at the Mark Shrader Mixed Martial Arts Academy.

The bus let me off 3 miles away at the Mall at Robinson, so I spent an extra hour walking to the gym. After getting there, I further warmed up by hitting a bag. Rolled with Dom first a few times. Then a bigger dude (I think his name was Matt) became my partner. Next I rolled with Jeremy a few times. Finally Mike was my partner until Hib kicked us out. I have to remember to work on:
  • Sweeps
  • Passing a good person's guard
  • Variety in takedowns (don't use russians all the time)
  • Locking down armbars
I caught Mike once with a RNC, but I think he was toying with me. He also said he was exausted and was a little lazy. (Like I wasn't?) I wish people wouldn't take it easy with me! I learn from people toying with me, but I also learn from vicious beatdowns!

Old 04-19-2006, 01:14 AM   #67
Bubble Boy

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
4-18-2006

Went to Judo Class. Got a Yellow Rank Certificate. Which Kyu is that? We did sumo shiai for the entire class. I went 2-1, IIRC.

After class I rolled with Matt and Adam for a while. I tapped Matt, Adam tapped me, Matt tapped Adam. Haha. Matt is graduating, so the rematch will be whenever he can come back for a visit. ;-)

Went to the Pittsburgh Fight Club to train with Mike Nesto because I didn't get to roll last time I was at the Mark Shrader Mixed Martial Arts Academy.

The bus let me off 3 miles away at the Mall at Robinson, so I spent an extra hour walking to the gym. After getting there, I further warmed up by hitting a bag. Rolled with Dom first a few times. Then a bigger dude (I think his name was Matt) became my partner. Next I rolled with Jeremy a few times. Finally Mike was my partner until Hib kicked us out. I have to remember to work on:
  • Sweeps
  • Passing a good person's guard
  • Variety in takedowns (don't use russians all the time)
  • Locking down armbars
I caught Mike once with a RNC, but I think he was toying with me. He also said he was exausted and was a little lazy. (Like I wasn't?) I wish people wouldn't take it easy with me! I learn from people toying with me, but I also learn from vicious beatdowns!
Congrats on the yellow belt dude! In Arizona it's 6th Kyu, but I have no idea what it is in Middle Earth. You're knowledge seems to be far above that of a typical yellow, so I imagine you'll progress quickly from here.

I also hate it when people feel they have to go easy, or they go "lazy pace." If it's randori, it needs to be fairly intense. IMO.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:31 AM   #68
Jimmy Cerra
Amateur Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble Boy
Congrats on the yellow belt dude! In Arizona it's 6th Kyu, but I have no idea what it is in Middle Earth. You're knowledge seems to be far above that of a typical yellow, so I imagine you'll progress quickly from here.
Thanks. We tested for the belts over a month ago, but we didn't recieve certificates until yesterday. TTYTT, I don't care much about the belt - I just do it out of respect to my teachers.

What do you expect a yellow belt to know? Remember that knowledge isn't power without the wisdom to use it. Even if I knew by heart all 90-some throws of the IJF, I wouldn't have the experience or confidence to implement most of them well. In some ways, I feel that I need much more practice than I have now.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:50 PM   #69
Jimmy Cerra
Amateur Fighter

4-19-2006

Went to Donny's to compare styles. We did a lot of drilling at the beginning of class:
  • 15x Wall Back Climbs: From sitting, climb the wall by shrugging your back (i.e. cage when fighting).
  • 15x Straight sprawls.
  • 15x Sprawl Drills with one set having all three: straight, left, right.
  • 15x Helicopter Rolls: Tori on back, uke standing holding tori's legs. Uke fakes then throws legs to one side/corner. Tori rolls legs back in a C motion (esp. leg opposite direction of uke's push). Repeat on other side to compete set.
  • 15x Stand Ups per side.
  • 1:30x3 fresh uke Pin Drills: No submissions. Tori has to get out of a pin by uke. Starts in side control. Uke can transition to half-guard/mount/back/kesa/north-south/whatever. Uke wants to get neutral, guard, or reverse to a good position. If tori escapes, reset to side control with uke on top.
Then we did some technique:
  • High-Side Armbar
    1. His arm is on the opposite side of my head.
    2. Control with an underhook. Put my low-side hand on his opposite hip (near me) to prevent escape.
    3. Drive him to his side while I spin to north-south position. I want my knee/leg in his back in the center of his shoulder blades. This supports him.
    4. Secure my underhook into a figure-4 (like a kimura). Crossface him with my forearm as I do it.
    5. The other knee goes over his head for control.
    6. Finish with a NS Armbar. (Note my comment in article.)
  • Armlock: If he counters High-Side Armbar by driving his head down.
    1. Let him base to his back. Drive his arm with your figure-4 to the mat.
    2. Slide your arm holding his wrist - keeping pressure constant - until your elbow makes contact with the mat.
    3. Immediately pressure back into his arm with your elbow - pinning his arm again.
    4. With other hand, grip your bicep and put your other hand behind your head (like a RNC like choke).
    5. If he resists, switch to kesa and continue joint lock.
  • Choke: If he resists while on his side, but doesn't counter High-Side Armbar.
    1. Loop his head. If you can't get around, switch grips, circle his head, and regain the 2-on-1.
    2. Drive him back to a parallel-with-ground configuration. Keep your one arm flush against his neck with our elbow behind his lat.
    3. Pressure down. His head will lock into his body. It can be a neck crank too. If choke doesn't work, bail on his arm and just grip your hand together.
Finally I rolled with Donny for a few minutes before I had to leave. I would have liked to roll longer. :-( Don caught me with a guillotine once during the randori. I really need to work on standup!!!

I don't know who is going to win the Grappling Superfight at Mark's Boxing Event. Mike is pretty strong, has youth and better wrestling on his side, and seems very technical. Don is also very technical, has much more grappling experience, and thinks quickly. Mike could have defeated me, and Don caught me easily by a stupid mistake on my part. I made sure neither knew I rolled with the other, that way neither has insider information for a better match...

Old 04-19-2006, 11:53 PM   #70
Jimmy Cerra
Amateur Fighter

Mike's comments when I rolled with him on 4-18-2006:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych-o Mike-o
Hey whats up. If your really interested in getting some good training in, i know its a long way for u to go to get to our gym just to train for an hour and a half, just get a hold of me and i'll set up a time to meet u at the gym and we can train all day if u want. I'm always looking for someone to work with to get some extra training in. Let me know then, ok.

P.S. You need to work on your sweep defense, i just remembered. I used little effort in throwing u off me, but i just let u back on without rolling onto u, and i would just sweep u again. And when we train if u wanna go hard too, we'll go hard.
So that's what I will be working on for the next week!