Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Strength & Conditioning Discussion > Training Logs

Old 03-14-2006, 09:18 AM   #11
Diligent

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
Thanks! I meant to start it after January first, but I forgot and was lazy. I got to start lifting like you, but I rarely find the time with all the other training I do.

Ya you suck True2KungFu! LOL

Who is Urban?
Yeah, I hear you. The more I train bjj and wrestling takedowns, the harder it is for me to find time AND energy to lift.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:43 AM   #12
Feature boy

vCash:
Quote:
I must cast it back into the Crack of Doom.
Keep your hands away from my girlfriend's ass!

Old 03-14-2006, 04:52 PM   #13
Jimmy Cerra
Amateur Fighter

3-14-2006

Went to Jiu-Jitsu class, but it is basically Judo (referred to as Judo Class for now on). First was ukemi then nage waza:We went over the 6-point armbar for newaza. Then some ground randori. After class I showed Ty the leg-over reversal to Kesa Gatame. I first learned it by watching Helio do the counter in an interview on the Discovery Channel! HAHA.

Went to Panther Grappling Club (no-gi). Three people showed up. Went over Kicho Poomse with the TKD kid. Then taught the crash course to see if it works. Took about an hour to explain everything; however, I think it could use some more tightening up. Maybe split it into two sessions and add some more submissions and escapes. Went over 6-point armbar from guard. Finally practiced J.J. Machado's Favorite Submission #2: armbar from 6-point armbar from guard. Then did 30 minutes of randori from standing. However, I still don't think we do enough rolling at class.

Finally visited the Real Pitt Judo Club. Did nage waza fits with a black belt! I practiced:Then we did newaza. Only went over the Master Eugene Special Choke (TODO: update with real name). Then 10 minutes of randori from ground. This is the second Judo shodan I rolled with, and the experience was familier. I.E. I submit or positionally dominate. In this case, I beat him once with a RNC and positionally dominated the other times. He is better than the other shodan I fought, though.

I feel that I am as good as a brown belt on the ground, and I think that I can hang with at least some shodans at newaza. But that could be ego talking, and I am definitely only a gokyu at throwing techniques... Even my wrestling needs improvement. But I shall be a black belt in both BJJ and Judo (and maybe TKD) some day!

Last edited by Jimmy Cerra; 03-21-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Jimmy Cerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:40 PM   #14
Jimmy Cerra
Amateur Fighter

The Ides of March, 2006

Balto and I practiced no-gi Judo today. First was nagewaza:Then we sparred with 30 minutes of nagewaza randori. That is, we would start back standing after one of us got a takedown.

Next was newaza. Balto explained the butterfly hook sweep on my request. Then we fought for 45 minutes of grappling starting from standing and going until one of us tapped. Balto caught me three times. I should be better than that!!! I should learn patience and to leave my ego off the mat.

Old 03-16-2006, 10:13 PM   #15
Jimmy Cerra
Amateur Fighter

3-16-2006

Ran on the elliptical with intervals of high/low incline. Every once in a while I sprinted for a few minutes. Data recorded:
  • Time: 33 minutes
  • Strides: 5484
  • Distance: 3.65 miles
  • Energy Used: 444.2 (kilo) calories
  • Average Heart Rate: 162 beats/minute
  • Maximum Heart Rate: 185 beats/minute
I shouldn't have ran today, because immediately afterward:

Went to Judo Class. First was ukemi then nage waza:Then we had Shark Bait Shiai. I won three matches: two by pin and the third by ippon nage. But I got tired on the fourth match and lost by one Shido. I grabbed my opponent's belt too long; must remember not to do that. I got 2nd place at the Shiai, but I will take first next time!

Went to Panther Grappling Club (no-gi). Four people showed up. Taught technique for an hour. First went over the crash course again; however, I think it could use some more tightening up. I changed the crash course to go over:
  • We skipped ukemi.
  • Elbow-in-thigh break and knee-on-thigh pass, instead of #5
  • Superman escape from side control, instead of #7
  • Showed lockflow from side-control: kimura, straight armlock, wristlock, americana, americana with head, superman americana.
The rest was the same except. BTW, shrimping is the hip heist of grappling. I showed a few slightly more advanced techniques:
  • 6-point armbar from guard
  • blocking the far leg counter to 6-point armbar
  • pulling arm out counter to 6-point armbar
  • uma plata counter to pulling arm out counter to 6-point armbar
Then we did ground randori in 5 minute periods for an hour. No standup this time. Then reviewed how to do a guillotine choke and counter it.

Finally, I gave Jake the MMA gloves and played a game. He weighs 190 pounds while I am just 156. Jake was allowed to do any submission and to punch me, but I was not allowed to strike.

We started with him in my guard, yet Jake submitted to me three times from armbars. Although boxers can punch hard, grapplers can defend and break their arms. This way it was proven that jiu-jitsu defeats boxing. ;)

This was a long practice - over 2 hours long!

Last edited by Jimmy Cerra; 03-17-2006 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:46 PM   #16
Jimmy Cerra
Amateur Fighter

3-17-2006

Took it easy today. Just went to SCMA's open mat time to roll a bit at BJJ. While rolling, I asked my partners to show me some moves:
  • A butteryfly guard pass: where you grab behind the head and an opposite leg, hip heist around, and turn back into side control. I probably have a few of the details wrong!
  • Tomoe nage
  • Uki Waza
  • Rolling ukemi a little
Got smoked by Brad and Jimbo. Had a hard time with Greg, but I caught him.

P.S. I want to learn this butterfly guard pass.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:06 PM   #17
Diligent

Blue Belt

Quote:
3-16-2006

Ran on the elliptical with intervals of high/low incline. Every once in a while I sprinted for a few minutes. Data recorded:
  • Time: 33 minutes
  • Strides: 5484
  • Distance: 3.65 miles
  • Energy Used: 444.2 (kilo) calories
  • Average Heart Rate: 162 beats/minute
  • Maximum Heart Rate: 185 beats/minute
I shouldn't have ran today, because immediately afterward:

Went to Judo Class. First was ukemi then nage waza:Then we had Shark Bait Shiai. I won three matches: two by pin and the third by ippon nage. But I got tired on the fourth match and lost by one Shido. I grabbed my opponent's belt too long; must remember not to do that. I got 2nd place at the Shiai, but I will take first next time!

Went to Panther Grappling Club (no-gi). Four people showed up. Taught technique for an hour. First went over the crash course again; however, I think it could use some more tightening up. I changed the crash course to go over:
  • We skipped ukemi.
  • Elbow-in-thigh break and knee-on-thigh pass, instead of #5
  • Superman escape from side control, instead of #7
  • Showed lockflow from side-control: kimura, straight armlock, wristlock, americana, americana with head, superman americana.
The rest was the same except. BTW, shrimping is the hip heist of grappling. I showed a few slightly more advanced techniques:
  • 6-point armbar from guard
  • blocking the far leg counter to 6-point armbar
  • pulling arm out counter to 6-point armbar
  • uma plata counter to pulling arm out counter to 6-point armbar
Then we did ground randori in 5 minute periods for an hour. No standup this time. Then reviewed how to do a guillotine choke and counter it.

Finally, I gave Jake the MMA gloves and played a game. He weighs 190 pounds while I am just 156. Jake was allowed to do any submission and to punch me, but I was not allowed to strike.

We started with him in my guard, yet Jake submitted to me three times from armbars. Although boxers can punch hard, grapplers can defend and break their arms. This way it was proven that jiu-jitsu defeats boxing. ;)

This was a long practice - over 2 hours long!
Who is this Jake that you speak of?

Old 03-17-2006, 11:54 PM   #18
Jimmy Cerra
Amateur Fighter

Someone who trains with me at the Panther Grappling Club.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:20 AM   #19
Diligent

Blue Belt

Quote:
Someone who trains with me at the Panther Grappling Club.
Oh, ok

Old 03-18-2006, 09:20 PM   #20
Jimmy Cerra
Amateur Fighter

BTW, I was just kidding about BJJ > Boxing thing at the last entry...

3-18-2005

Took another easy day. Trained at Bill Vucick's. Went over:
  • v-armlock with my opponent's head trapped in it too. Make sure to lift the head up under the boney part of the skull so he can't bridge.
  • Superman armlock from v-armlock. Make sure to get a good grip in the armpit.
Then went over guard breaks:
  • Elbow-in-thigh break. Make sure to make hands into fists, and dig into the belly as well to (1) get a good base (2) inflict more pain.
  • Stand-up break. If he keeps his guard, shake him off.
If he grabs my elbows, then punch straight then jerk back at a different angle. If he grabs my wrists, the circle them to get free. Did a guard pass drill next. Then did 50 pushps. Then a guard pass contest - had to do 15 jump squats for every time I let my opponent pass my guard under 2 minutes (Bill passed 4 times). Then we did 1/4 deck of cards of sprawls. Finally we did wall sits for a few minutes. Gotta get up to Luke Cummo endurance (mentally and physically).

Last edited by Jimmy Cerra; 03-18-2006 at 10:03 PM.