Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Strength & Conditioning Discussion > Training Logs

Old 03-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
shouldercharge
Dave Camarillo idoliser

vCash: 500
diet and training of an aspiring judoka

I'm a 26 year old 5'8 tall current weighing 93kg at a guess around 16% body fat.

20 years playing rugby including making a national representative team.

looking for a new challenge/and some extra training for rugby i took up brazilian jiujitsu which i trained in for 6 months,looking for something more applicable to rugby i decided to try judo and instantly fell in love its been a cure for depression as well as encouraging me to lead an all round healthier lifestyle.

trained at my current club for just over two and a half years with a break of a few months in which time i trained in australia.

I've continued to train BJJ off and on since starting judo at times its been once a week at times 4-5 times a week,and occasionally not training in bjj at all for a few weeks,i've competed in 2 (bjj)tournaments and had one mma fight.

I've decided to really dedicate my self to having a big year of judo competition with the goal being to medal at nationals and all going well push for national squad selection.

as part of my plan for improved performance i'm going to start lifting again and eating better in the hopes of getting leaner,stronger and fitter.

I'm in pretty terrible shape at the moment with a fat stomach and a bit disgusted at myself for letting myself go so bad over the past few months,but its time to fix that.

will be training judo three times a week,lifting two-three times and training BJJ atleast once.

Last edited by shouldercharge; 03-12-2012 at 05:54 PM.
shouldercharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
LitteringAnd

Purple Belt

Best of luck.

Are you going to be posting your judo and bjj training as well or just your strength and conditioning?

LitteringAnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
NoGodsNoMasters**
Banned

the key to staying fit is NOT getting married ...

NoGodsNoMasters** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
shouldercharge
Dave Camarillo idoliser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitteringAnd View Post
Best of luck.

Are you going to be posting your judo and bjj training as well or just your strength and conditioning?
will post all training as well as diet,some competition videos,and basically anything related to my judo/fitness/strength.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
shouldercharge
Dave Camarillo idoliser

May as well start with last nights judo.
our instructor was away,
as a warm up we joined in with the end of the kids class as throwing dummies/randori partners for the kids.

once the kids were finished we went straight in to newaza and i was asked to show a few techniques.
started off with basic arm bar from guard,then triangle.
then chained arm bar-triangle-arm bar as your opponent defends submission attempts (arm bar from guard,as the opponent pulls there arm out transition to triangle, as the opponent attempts to posture up under hook the leg hip out to the side throw leg over for arm bar.)

then a basic sweep from half guard take a whizzer on the opponents right arm(blocks them from posting) post up on your right(inside) foot, bridge your hips up and over on the angle towards your left shoulder while driving your right arm up straight and under your opponents left arm-pit rolling them over and in to osaekomi.

Newaza randori 4x5 minute rounds,managed to submit a visiting black belt with a bow and arrow/ okuri eri so was happy with that.
good;subbed every one i rolled with.
bad;have become a bit loose,always looking to transition and scramble,in training i've been looking for subs (particularly straight arm bars)more and more over the last few months and while they are coming along well its been at the expense of top control,and my osaekomi waza has become a bit weak.

grip fighting rounds of 3x30 secs with 10 secs rest in between three times.
worked with the visiting black belt he was a bit older (late thirties and had not trained for a while)he was very old school and did not really grip fight he freely gave up the inside lapel grip (left vs right) and then would switch to a left handed posture.
next did some moving uchikomi up and down the mat throwing at the end of the mat. osoto gari was good although could do with greater chest contact, seoi nage too loose on the shoulder.

tachiwaza randori.
got in 2 rounds with a training partner who gave me a bit of trouble last week and perfomed far better against him this week,landed a few uchimatas,a drop seoi nage, and a couple of sumi gaeshi against him.

one round with another guy same weight and grade as me who usually gives me a bit of trouble but has been a way for a while worked on various entries/set-ups for drop seoi and went well.

a couple of rounds with lighter guys.

Last edited by shouldercharge; 03-13-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
shouldercharge
Dave Camarillo idoliser

6am; 4 egg omelette with a cup of stirfry vegetables.
11:30 am, 1/2 cup wholegrain pasta,200gram beef mince
2pm,150g smoked salmon,150g coleslaw
3pm gym
3.45 200ml milk,30g whey,teaspoon greens powder
7pm 200g beef mince

gym work out
squat 1x5x60kg
1x5x100kg
3x5x120kg

OHP 1x5 30kg
1x5 40kg
3x5 50kg (failed on last rep)

pull ups 3xf (10,8,8)

really disappointed with how weak I've got but oh well only one way to fix that.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
shouldercharge
Dave Camarillo idoliser

yesterday.
morning weight 93.1kg
5;30am 4 eggs and veges
11am 150g salmon,coleslaw
1pm 1hr jog not sure on distance at a guess around 4 miles.
2.15 200ml milk,30g whey protien,1 tea spoon greens tablespoon peanut butter,banana
4.30 200g diced beef,150g vegetables.
7 judo
9 4 chicken drum sticks,half cup wholegrain pasta,bowl of vegetables.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
shouldercharge
Dave Camarillo idoliser

judo last night was hellish was still sore from first day at the gym tuesday.
drilled turn overs
4x5min rounds newaza
100 uchikomi
30secs on 10secs off grip fighting times 5 rounds
randori
4x4min rounds
had one round rest
4x4min rounds
one round rest
one round with instructor

all in all not too bad got thrown with a drop seoi thanks to being too aggressive with the high grip,and thrown once with harai by instructor after settling in a bad grip.
Kenken uchi mata was going ok,ouchi gari-sumi gaeshi combination is working great for me,have to get tighter with the arm on my drop seoi over rotated on a few and believe that to be the problem,managed to get the high grip on my instructor and lock him down which i usually struggle with as he is taller and heavier than i am, Its never been my grip as i'm quite short but starting to play with it more and more.

we finished with some conditioning.
with a partner perform 10 uchikomi you both do 10 sprawls sprint length of the mat partner does 10 uchikomi 10 sprawls sprint to the end of dojo 9 uchikomi 9 spralws and so on down.

Last edited by shouldercharge; 03-14-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
shouldercharge
Dave Camarillo idoliser

judo last night heavy newaza day.

warm up, jogging,stretching,shrimping,mat drags.

30 sec rounds one opponent starts in turtle and defends against oponents attacks x10 switching position then switching partner.

7x10min newaza randori-brutal!

and just to add to the pain conditioning 10 shuttle runs length of the mat,50 push ups,50 squats,50 burpies to finish.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
shouldercharge
Dave Camarillo idoliser

Bjj today, warm up with some flow rolling 3x3min rounds.

2 pairs go in the middle of the mat start from guard 1st points or submission loser rotates with some one else winner stays out 20mins

drilled cross collar choke,and ezekiel from mount x 10mins each.

10x5min rounds rolling.

went reasonably well,managed to sweep a couple of blue belts during the positional sparring,and pass ones guard,rolled with one blue belt,one brown belt and the rest of my rolls were with other white belts. the blue absolutely dominated me,went well with the other blue belts landing alot of triangles and triangle arm bars,need to stop giving up position so much though.

Last edited by shouldercharge; 03-17-2012 at 12:40 AM.