Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > Mayberry Lounge

Mayberry Lounge Light-hearted humor and intelligent discussion only. No flaming.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
explosives
Banned

vCash: 500
When do you hit your intellectual peak?

I have heard strongmen hit their strength peak at around 40 years of age, but I am wondering not about the peak physical capacity of a human being but the peak mental capacity. Of course there are alot of different factors that play into this but lets avoid those for now and just focus on the growth of a human being. I have heard you loose brain cells by 40 thousand when your fourty, so I guess it might not be after fourty, however opinions?

explosives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:45 PM   #2
Cojofl
<:(((><|

I've heard mid-20's for mathematics. and other quantitative fields

Old 10-31-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
Reaper Man

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosives
I have heard strongmen hit their strength peak at around 40 years of age, but I am wondering not about the peak physical capacity of a human being but the peak mental capacity. Of course there are alot of different factors that play into this but lets avoid those for now and just focus on the growth of a human being. I have heard you loose brain cells by 40 thousand when your fourty, so I guess it might not be after fourty, however opinions?
Where did you hear this about strongmen?

Most studies state that adults begin to lose muscle mass/power at late 20s early 30s. Of course this is tested on generally average people.

Guaranteed
-Eddie Vedder; song playing on Evan Tanner's myspace
Reaper Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
InSummary
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper Man

Most studies state that adults begin to lose muscle mass/power at late 20s early 30s.
you must be forgetting about the Vitamin S which is so popular among strongmen.

InSummary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
muerteverde

Black Belt

vCash: 2080
I have heard that somewhere between 18 and 21 is usually when intelligence stops increasing. You can continue to get better at something after that and continue to learn, but intelligence usually stop around there, along with bodily maturity. Some people keep going for longer, just as some people keep getting taller.

There is a reason why IQ tests divide your score by your age, and also why they stop doing this division at a certain age. I don't remember the age, but I think it is probably 18 for most IQ tests, but there is of course a range there. It is certainly NOT the 40's though.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:15 PM   #6
Sir Burton
Wendy Peffercorn's house

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosives

There is no such thing. Unless you are a Victorian medical theorist.

Sir Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:17 PM   #7
Neu!

Brown Belt

me at 57

Neu! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:47 PM   #8
JSN
Banned

i think i can tell a pretty good (bad actually) difference between the speed of my mind now than 5 years ago (when i was 20) but then again i've taken alot of drugs and also i feel like at least i'm smart enough now to recognize that a) i don't know very much and b) who gives a fuck anyways?

JSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:40 PM   #9
imyourgod2

Yellow Belt

well, you actually start losing neurons at age 4ish, if i remember correctly. So that means you have the most neurons at age 4, and then it's downhill from there. That doesn't have anything to do with intelligence though.

imyourgod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:13 PM   #10
explosives
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper Man

Most studies state that adults begin to lose muscle mass/power at late 20s early 30s. Of course this is tested on generally average people.
well I heard it in the S&P forum, never read it in any official newspaper article or a study.

explosives is offline   Reply With Quote