Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > Mayberry Lounge

Mayberry Lounge Light-hearted humor and intelligent discussion only. No flaming.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
thetruth2709

Black Belt

vCash: 500
What to do when you bought a new car battery that you didnt need?

Ok so here is the story I donít know much about cars or batteries so I thought I would post this here to get some advice

A few days ago my car went dead, I bought a new battery because at the time I thought that was the problem, when I bought it the salesman told me that I could only return it that day, after one day I wouldnít be able to return it anymore. The battery cost about $110

So my car started but it went dead almost when I got home, it was too late already so I couldnít return the battery, fuck it, I just waited for the mechanic for the following day.

The mechanic fixed my car and told me the problem wasnít the battery it was something else. Now I am stuck with a new battery that I didnít even need. I have two options

1 Ė Just return the old battery for a $12 return and just accept that I spent almost $100 when I didnít need to

2 Ė Keep the new battery in my house so when the old battery really goes dead I already have a new battery to replace it with

My problem with option number 2 is that I donít know if batteries go dead by themselves when they are not being used, the mechanic really didnít give me an answer about this, basically he didnít know or couldnít tell me for sure if the battery would hold its power on its own without being used at my house.

If anybody has experience with this I would appreciate. Do new batteries go dead when you store them for a long period of time (lets say over a year) without being used? Or they donít in which case I should just store the new battery and wait until the old one goes dead?

Thank you

thetruth2709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
thebluerider
positronic brain

vCash: 50
sell it on craigslist

-Doomer
thebluerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
DelbertMengel
Banned

sell it...you really should have got the mechanic in first though, you mutant

DelbertMengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #4
EJAXXX
"Not Bad for an Old Man"

I think you are supposed to keep them charged , they lose charge just sitting on a shelf . It's worse out of a car than in it , from what I hear . I would look into that quickly .

EJAXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #5
marsluna

Blue Belt

please delete

Last edited by marsluna; 08-11-2011 at 09:23 PM.
marsluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:53 PM   #6
thetruth2709

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelbertMengel View Post
sell it...you really should have got the mechanic in first though, you mutant
I was in the middle of a busy street and needed to move the car FAST... buying the new battery was better and cheaper than paying for a tow truck to take me out of there

Old 06-01-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
dkickboxer

Brown Belt

So you bought a battery, installed it, and want to return it? Or was it never installed?

Btw...what sorta shady ass parts store only lets you return a battery the same day?

Reason obeys itself; Ignorance submits to what is dictated to it. - Thomas Paine
dkickboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #8
Dusk Alumni
Banned

you don't need new car batteries...
you just put the old one in the microwave for about 30 seconds it will charge it.
DUH

Dusk Alumni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #9
thetruth2709

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkickboxer View Post
So you bought a battery, installed it, and want to return it? Or was it never installed?

Btw...what sorta shady ass parts store only lets you return a battery the same day?
I installed it, after the mechanic fixed my car he said the problem wasnt the battery so I didnt need to buy a new one. The new battery just gave me enough power to move the car to a safer place before it went dead again.

To my knowledge most auto parts stores dont let you return batteries after a day.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #10
gladuec

Yellow Belt

it wont go dead if its not in use

gladuec is offline   Reply With Quote