Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > Mayberry Lounge

Mayberry Lounge Light-hearted humor and intelligent discussion only. No flaming.

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
Dragonlordxxxxx
Senior Moderator

vCash: 450
THOR: THE DARK WORLD Official Thread (Dragonlord's Review)

Update: October 29, 2013

Dragonlord's Review of THOR: THE DARK WORLD
(No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: A pleasant but disappointingly underwhelming experience that flounders with an unremarkable script, a bland lead villain and misplaced focus on unnecessary comic relief human characters rather than on Sif and the Warriors Three.

Hoping he would bring in some much-needed grittiness or edginess due to his Game of Thrones background, Thor: The Dark World director Alan Taylor seemed to be shackled by the tame script and Marvel's unofficial mandate to keep things light and funny. Taylor does manage to make Asgard more like a real environment this time around. One of my biggest problems is the inclusion of Jane Foster and shoehorning the rest of the human supporting cast to the story. Instead of focusing more on Sif and the Warriors Three, the film seems set on wasting a lot of screen time to these comic relief human characters. When Thor and Loki escape out of Asgard, it was the perfect opportunity to bring along the Warriors Three and especially Sif, whose potential interaction with Jane Foster and love triangle with Thor would have proven to be very entertaining.

Tom Hiddleston as Loki was fantastic in Thor and The Avengers but I am getting tired of seeing him all the time. Marvel should give Loki a break and introduce other interesting characters such as the Enchantress and the Executioner. But putting that aside, Hiddleston is as usual terrific as the God of Mischief, generating some laughs as well as providing a great family dynamic with his stepbrother.

When Christopher Eccleston and Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje were initially cast, I was excited to see them portray Malekith and Algrim the Strong, respectively. Eccleston's Malekith turned out to be a bland lead villain while Akinnuoye-Agbaje, doing his best Sisqo impression, is pretty much useless as Algrim. Akinnuoye-Agbaje becomes vastly interesting when he becomes the all-powerful Kurse but at the same time is no longer needed since he's totally unrecognizable in his new form and any stuntman could have done his job.

It's a bad omen when Thor's first battle in here turns out to be so banal. Compared to the first film where Thor goes to town on the Frost Giants and showcasing how powerful he is, Thor gets tackled here and almost gets killed by an arrow. There's also a couple of instances where we see Thor without his hammer in a fight and it's discouraging to see how weak he is without it. The final battle with Thor and Malekith could have been glorious if it weren't for the distracting interdimensional portal that intrusively cuts any fluidity or momentum their fight had going for it. Thor's battle with Kurse was entertaining but my favorite fight scene surprisingly goes to Frigga (Rene Russo).

There's also severeal set pieces and designs that didn't pan out. The use of hi-tech spacecrafts and laser weapons are a bit disconcerting since it feels unnatural to the mythical world of Thor. It's similar to how uneasy I felt when they introduced laser guns and tanks in the WWII setting in Captain America: The First Avenger. It's discouraging to see how the Asgardian army looks so feeble compared to the Dark Elves. The dark elves using masks was a bad idea as it made them look generic. Svartalfheim, homeworld of the Dark Elves, is a bore. I know the place is in ruins but at least make the layout of the land more interesting.

The unheralded hero for 2011's Thor was Patrick Doyle whose magnificent score is sorely missed here. Composer Brian Tyler steps in and does a commendable job but Marvel screwed up big time not retaining Doyle and his music which could have elevated the sequel a notch and a half. (I'm listening to Doyle's Thor soundtrack right now as I'm making this review. Marvel, you fools!)

Overall, Thor: The Dark World is a pleasant but underwhelming experience that flounders with a bland lead villain, an unremarkable script and shoehorning unnecessary human characters rather than focusing on Sif and the Warriors Three. The film is great for the whole family but fans wanting something more substantial might be disappointed. Watch out for the two post credit scenes, with the mid-credit scene teasing next year's Guardians of the Galaxy.

Rating: 6.5/10

My spoiler thoughts on Thor: The Dark World below:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I really dug Loki's redemption arc but thought they ruined it by prematurely revealing he was still alive. As I said above, I'm weary of seeing Loki all the time and him masquerading as Odin only means he's definitely going to be part of Thor 3.

Love Chris Evans' unexpected cameo.

Expounding on my complaints about how feeble the Asgardian army was depicted. A quick remedy would have been to upgrade the outdated weapons but at the same time make it low-tech like giving them enchanted weapons/shields or mechanical weapons like the ones used in Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters. Seeing how Malekith's stealth mothership and superior technology caused a lot of problems for Asgard, it doesn't make sense for the Dark Elves to lose the war. Plus, it was stupid for Malekith to order his flying armada to do a kamikaze drop on the Asgardians in the beginning.

I'm excited for GotG but seeing Benicio Del Toro as the Collector kinda deflated my enthusiasm just a little and I'm now a little concern about the James Gunn space pic. Del Toro's Collector looks like it was inspired by Will Ferrell's Mogatu from Zoolander.

Ok, I was willing to let that go but then the Collector gave a bow that was so hammy, I cringed a little. Seeing Ophelia Lovibond as the Collector's pinkish-colored assistant wasn't reassuring also. Overall, the scene reminded me of those cheesy low-budget sci-fi TV shows for children.

Update: November 3, 2013

THOR: THE DARK WORLD Opens to Huge $109.4 Million Overseas

Throwing down the hammer in a big way, Thor: The Dark World opened to a sizeable $109.4 million at the foreign box office a week ahead of its North American debut, marking another victory for Marvel Studios and parent company Disney. Returning Chris Hemsworth in the title role, the superhero tentpole opened in 36 countries this weekend representing 70 percent of the international marketplace. Imax theaters generated more than $5 milion in ticket sales.

Thor 2 delivered Disney a notable victory as the studio raced past the $2.3 billion mark in foreign grosses for the year, setting a new record for the studio. The movie opened notably ahead of the first Thor in many territories, and scored one of the top openings of the year so far. The U.K. led with $13.4 million, followed by France with $9.4 million, Mexico with $8.2 million and Brazil in $8.1 million. Thor: The Dark World alights in North America on Nov. 8.

Box Office Report: THOR: THE DARK WORLD Opens to Huge $109.4 Million Overseas

Last edited by Dragonlordxxxxx; 11-06-2013 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Updates
Old 05-17-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Dragonlordxxxxx
Senior Moderator

Update: November 1, 2013

THOR: THE DARK WORLD Aftermath on AGENTS OF SHIELD

Press Release: "The Well" - In the aftermath of the events chronicled in the feature film Marvel's "Thor: The Dark World," Coulson and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. pick up the pieces--one of which threatens to destroy a member of the team, on Tuesday, November 19 (8:00-9:01 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." stars Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson, Ming-Na Wen as Agent Melinda May, Brett Dalton as Agent Grant Ward, Chloe Bennet as Skye, Iain De Caestecker as Agent Leo Fitz and Elizabeth Henstridge as Agent Jemma Simmons.

Guest starring Peter MacNicol as Professor Elliot Randolph, Michael Graziadei as Jakob Nystrom, Erin Way as Petra Larsen, Toby Wilson as Neils, Alex Neustaedter as Maynard and Sylvia Brindis as Elena. "The Well" was written by Monica Owusu-Breen and directed by Jonathan Frakes.

Update: October 30, 2013

5-Minute Preview of CAP 2 Attached to 3D Showings of THOR 2

Marvel synergy will be in full effect when Thor: The Dark World opens in theaters next weekend. The studio has ramped up its production schedule in Phase Two, and as a result each year (including 2013) will see the release of two Marvel Studios films instead of one. With Captain America: The Winter Soldier now just six months away from release, Marvel is offering an extended look at the film with 3D showings of Thor 2. Nearly five minutes of footage from the Captain America sequel will be attached to 3D screenings of Thor: The Dark World, so if the film’s debut trailer left you craving more Cap, you now have the opportunity to curb your appetite.

The Captain America footage will only be attached to 3D screenings of Thor 2, which feels like a conscious move from Marvel to make people splurge on the 3D ticket prices. Thor: The Dark World opens in theaters on November 8th, while Captain America: The Winter Soldier hits theaters on April 4th, 2014.

5-Minute Preview of Captain America 2 Attached to Thor: The Dark World 3D Showings

Update: October 22, 2013

First Reviews for Alan Taylor's THOR: THE DARK WORLD

Empire Online - 4/5
There are signs that the story may, at one point, have been in flux (a potential love triangle between Thor, Jane and Sif goes nowhere, for example) and it’s also packed with a Smegload of fridge moments, those pesky plot-holes that will keep you awake at 3am, while its grasp on science is fairly flimsy, with respected actors spouting nonsense about gravitons and wibblyflibs like they’re in a 1950s B-movie. But the whole thing clips along at such a brisk rate — at just over 100 minutes (not including credits, or post-credit stings, or post-post-credits stings) it wraps up when most blockbusters are grinding their gears — and is so entertaining that it doesn’t seem to matter. Now that’s magic-science.

The Wrap - Good
Filmmakers haven’t put a lot of new ideas between Chris Hemsworth and his hammer, but there are enough thrills and laughs to keep it aloft. In the current onslaught of superhero movies, we get a lot of Terrible, some very occasional Excellent and a decent amount of Entertaining Enough. “Thor: The Dark World” falls squarely into Entertaining Enough, with plenty of excitement and panache to make it lots more fun than the first one. This time around, we get no ticky-tacky small-town sets, and director Alan Taylor strikes just the right balance.

THR - Poor
Amiable hunk Chris Hemsworth may play the title character but he is practically a guest at his own party here, as scads of new characters and millions of dollars worth of CGI crowd the screen. Most of it pales into insignificance when Loki takes the stage, which isn't often enough given how wildly uneven the sections without him are. Although director Alan Taylor manages to get things going properly for the final battle in London, the long stretches before that on Asgard and the other branches of Yggdrasil are a drag, like filler episodes of Game of Thrones but without the narrative complexity, mythical heft or all-pervading sexiness.

Digital Spy - 4/5
But effective thought the humour is, it's clumsily placed at times alongside the moments of real darkness and loss – there's an emotional gut punch in the second act, but its impact is immediately blunted by a curt segue into wacky hijinks with the gang in London. With the final cut coming in at a taut 112 minutes, there's a distinct sense that a brutal editing process is to blame for these tonal swings. Despite its occasionally bipolar quality, Thor: The Dark World is a hugely entertaining and sharply written continuation of Marvel's Phase 2, combining heart, spectacle and a shrewd lightness of touch.

Update: October 17, 2013

New Clips, Featurettes and B-Roll Footage from THOR Sequel

Marvel has released a bunch of new clips, featurettes and b-roll footage from Thor: The Dark World. Directed by Alan Taylor (Game of Thrones), the film finds Thor (Chris Hemsworth) reluctantly teaming up with Loki (Tom Hiddleston) to fight off the villainous dark elf Malekith the Accursed (Christopher Eccleston). The clips feature Malekith freed, an action-centered sequence involving Jaimie Alexander’s Sif and the first reunion between Thor and Natalie Portman’s Jane.

Marvel has unveiled a featurette which delves into the film’s location shooting and massive sets, giving us a look at the production filming at Stonehenge and using Iceland as a double for the world of the Dark Elves. It’s a fascinating look behind the scenes of the pic, and it’s promising to see Taylor taking a very practical approach to the film’s locations that will hopefully pay off onscreen. Hiddleston and Hemsworth also discuss the complicated relationship between Thor and Loki and how the two are drawn together after the events of The Avengers.

The studio has also released 15 minutes of behind-the-scenes footage from the follow-up, giving fans the chance to get a look at all the hard work that went into putting The Dark World together. The film also stars Stellan Skarsgård, Idris Elba, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Kat Dennings, Ray Stevenson, Zachary Levi, Tadanobu Asano, Rene Russo, and Anthony Hopkins. Thor: The Dark World opens in 3D on November 8th.

Click the spoiler tag to see the rest of the clips and featurettes:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

2 New Clips from THOR: THE DARK WORLD Featuring Chris Hemsworth

Movie News and Notes
http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f48/a-2762113/

Last edited by Dragonlordxxxxx; 11-05-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
Dragonlordxxxxx
Senior Moderator

Update: October 17, 2013

THOR: THE DARK WORLD Tracking for Strong $75 Million+ Debut

If pre-release tracking is any indication, Thor: The Dark World could enjoy one of the best November openings of all time at the North American box office, particularly for a film opening earlier in the month. The sequel, returning Chris Hemsworth in the title role, debuted on tracking Thursday and is pacing to open north of $75 million, according to rival studios with access to tracking. Thor 2, from Marvel Studios and Disney, doesn't open domestically for another three weeks (Nov. 8). That would easily exceed the $65.7 million opening of the original Thor in May 2011 on its way to earning $449 million worldwide, marking another victory for Marvel.

Thor 2, like Iron Man 3, is expected to benefit from 2012 global blockbuster The Avengers, the crown jewel of Marvel's superhero film empire. Thor 2 is sparking interest among all quadrants of the moviegoing audience. Interest is high among younger females for a superhero film, likely due to Hemsworth and Natalie Portman. Thor 2 is also tracking well among Hispanics.

Box Office Forecast: THOR: THE DARK WORLD Tracking for Strong $75 Million-Plus Debut

Update: September 18, 2013

Joss Whedon Rescues THOR: THE DARK WORLD with Rewrites

It’s no secret that director Alan Taylor went back for some Thor: The Dark World reshoots that, in part, added more of Tom Hiddleston’s Loki to the film, but Taylor recently revealed that he also called in Whedon to rewrite three scenes in the pic, including one major sequence that Taylor was finding difficult to crack. Speaking with SFX Magazine, Taylor revealed that Whedon was flown to the London set of Thor: The Dark World to pitch in on a couple of tough scenes:

“Joss came in to save our lives a couple of times [laughs]. We had a major scene that was not working on the page at all in London, and he basically got airlifted in, like a SWAT team or something. He came down, rewrote the scene, and before he got back to his plane I sort of grabbed him and said, ‘And this scene and this scene?’ And he rewrote two other scenes that I thought had problems. Then finally we let go of him, he took off again, and we shot the scenes; and they were just much better and much lighter on their feet. Much more fun, much more surprising than what we had been trying to do. I can relate to guys who come out of the TV world, since that’s where I come from. And being able to land and work and solve a problem quickly… I really was grateful.”

Joss Whedon Rescues THOR: THE DARK WORLD, Rewrites Troublesome Scenes

Update: August 7, 2013

2nd Theatrical Trailer for Marvel's THOR: THE DARK WORLD

Disney has released the second trailer for Marvel's Thor: The Dark World featuring tons of new footage. The new trailer immediately picks up where the first trailer left off, with Thor (Chris Hemsworth) asking Loki (Tom Hiddleston) for help. We then see poor Loki threatened by Lady Sif (Jaimie Alexander) and Volstagg, and finally bitch-slapped by Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) in retaliation for the Chitauri invasion in New York. The coolest part was at the end where we see a huge Kronan warrior (stone creature race that fought Thor in his very first comic book appearance in Journey into Mystery #83) challenging the Prince of Asgard.

By default, I'm looking forward to watching the film but there just wasn't a big wow factor to the new preview. It's also difficult to be amped up when we really don't have a firm grasp what the new threat is. Hopefully we will get to see more of the main villain, Malekith the Accursed, (Christopher Eccleston) and secondary villain, Kurse (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje), in future trailers.

Directed by Alan Taylor (Game of Thrones), the film stars Natalie Portman, Stellan Skarsgård, Idris Elba, Kat Dennings, Ray Stevenson, Zachary Levi, Tadanobu Asano, Jaimie Alexander, Rene Russo, and Anthony Hopkins. Thor: The Dark World opens in 3D on November 8th. Click here to see hi-res screenshots of the trailer.

Update: April 22, 2013

First Official Trailer for Alan Taylor's THOR: THE DARK WORLD

Marvel has released the first trailer for director Alan Taylor’s (Game of Thrones) sequel Thor: The Dark World and it looks great. Like every well cut trailer, it showcases a ton of impressive looking action, while revealing new details about the story. If you dug the first Thor, you’re going to love this trailer. The film stars Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Christopher Eccleston, Tom Hiddleston, Stellan Skarsgård, Idris Elba, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Kat Dennings, Ray Stevenson, Zachary Levi, Tadanobu Asano, Jaimie Alexander, Rene Russo, and Anthony Hopkins. Thor: The Dark World opens in 3D on November 8th.

Synopsis: Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World continues the big-screen adventures of Thor, the Mighty Avenger, as he battles to save Earth and all the Nine Realms from a shadowy enemy that predates the universe itself. In the aftermath of Marvel’s Thor and Marvel’s The Avengers, Thor fights to restore order across the cosmos…but an ancient race led by the vengeful Malekith returns to plunge the universe back into darkness. Faced with an enemy that even Odin and Asgard cannot withstand, Thor must embark on his most perilous and personal journey yet, one that will reunite him with Jane Foster and force him to sacrifice everything to save us all.

Update: March 19, 2013

Chris O'Dowd Joins the Cast of THOR: THE DARK WORLD

Somehow slipping past media outlets when the Marvel sequel was in its casting stage last year, Thor: The Dark World will apparently include a scene with Bridesmaids star Chris O'Dowd. The Irish actor first alluded to the role back in November, on Twitter, but O'Dowd now tells Indiewire:

“I think I’ll do more dramatic stuff and I think I have some stuff coming out that’s a bit more dramatic. I don’t know if I’d do an action movie because I don’t know if I could keep a straight face honestly, I just think it’s so silly. Like I love watching them but I can’t imagine me doing one. Actually, you know what I’ve done, just for fun because I didn’t think there was any way that I could be in a superhero movie, so I’ve done a scene in the new 'Thor' movie, just for that. I just do like one scene, which was fun.”

Although O'Dowd failed to reveal details about his character, he did tweet back in November that he filmed a date scene with actress Natalie Portman, who's reprising her Jane Foster role in Thor: The Dark World. Therefore, it's possible O'Dowd will play Donald Blake, Thor's human alias in the comics, but the name of Jane Foster's ex-boyfriend in the first Thor film.

Chris O'Dowd Has a Scene in THOR: THE DARK WORLD; Could Be Playing Donald Blake

Update: November 18, 2012

Jaimie Alexander Talks About Her Accident on the Set of THOR 2

Last September, Jaimie Alexander, who plays Lady Sif in Alan Taylor's Thor: The Dark World, was badly injured on the set. The only details that were given at that time was that Jaimie slipped on the set while it was raining. She would later tweet just how serious the incident actually was, which almost paralyzed her. Today, the actress talks about her accident in detail:

“It was raining, it was dark outside, it was like 5 in the morning — and I went down a metal staircase and slipped and slipped a disc in my thoracic spine and chipped 11 of my vertebrae. I knocked my left shoulder out of place and tore my rhomboid on my right side . . . It took me out of filming for a month. I heal really fast. Everyone thinks it’s really funny to tease me about staircases now that I fell down one . . . I’m walking in heels again though, so that’s a good sign.”

Over the past two months, Jaimie has communicated via Twitter that her recovery was going very well, and despite the severity of the injury she assured fans that Sif would not have less screen time in the Thor sequel. To accommodate her injuries the shooting schedule was shuffled around.

Jaimie Alexander Talks About Her Accident on the Set of THOR: THE DARK WORLD

Movie News and Notes

Last edited by Dragonlordxxxxx; 11-03-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
Dragonlordxxxxx
Senior Moderator

Update: August 22, 2012

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje to Play the Villain Kurse in THOR 2

Variety is reporting that actor Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje will be taking on two villain roles, sort of, for the upcoming Marvel Studios film Thor: The Dark World. He will be portraying Algrim the Strong and Kurse. Algrim was one of the most powerful of the dark elves. He is given the task of killing Thor by Malekith the Accursed (to be played by Christopher Eccleston). He is betrayed by Malekith who tries to kill Thor by allowing both the God of Thunder and Algrim to fall to their deaths. While both survived, Algrim developed amnesia from the event and is transformed into the much more powerful being Kurse.

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje has appeared on the big screen in G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, The Bourne Identity, and The Mummy Returns. On the small screen, he played Mr. Eko on Lost and imposing convict Simon Adebisi in the HBO prison series Oz.

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje to Play the Villain Kurse in THOR: THE DARK WORLD

Update: November 14, 2012

First Look at Malekith and the Dark Elves in THOR 2 Set Photos

New photos from the set of Thor: The Dark World have revealed the film’s baddies, the Dark Elves. As we learned from the official synopsis, Thor (Chris Hemsworth) has to stop the vengeful Malekith (Christopher Eccleston) from plunging the universe back into darkness. As for the look of the Dark Elves, they’ve got the neat armor that fits well into the look of the supernatural realms established in the first movie. The unmasked dark elf has a half-black, half-white face.

Hemsworth was also spotted on the set bloodied, bruised, and with large scratch marks across his forehead. Click HERE to see the set photos. Update: Click HERE to see set photos of Thor battling Malekith or just go to post #461 to #468 to see all the new set photos and videos.

Update: October 12, 2012

First Official Synopsis for THOR: THE DARK WORLD Released

Press Release: Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World continues the big-screen adventures of Thor, the Mighty Avenger, as he battles to save Earth and all the Nine Realms from a shadowy enemy that predates the universe itself. In the aftermath of Marvel’s Thor and Marvel’s The Avengers, Thor fights to restore order across the cosmos…but an ancient race led by the vengeful Malekith returns to plunge the universe back into darkness. Faced with an enemy that even Odin and Asgard cannot withstand, Thor must embark on his most perilous and personal journey yet, one that will reunite him with Jane Foster and force him to sacrifice everything to save us all.

Starring Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Stellan Skarsgård, Idris Elba, Christopher Eccleston, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Kat Dennings, Ray Stevenson, Zachary Levi, Tadanobu Asano and Jaimie Alexander with Rene Russo and Anthony Hopkins as Odin, Thor: The Dark World is directed by Alan Taylor, produced by Kevin Feige, from a story by Don Payne and screenplay by Christopher Yost and Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely. Thor: The Dark World opens November 8, 2013.

Update: September 25, 2012

Jaimie Alexander Injured on the Set of THOR 2, Nearly Paralyzed

Fans were shocked yesterday to learn that Jaimie Alexander narrowly escaped being paralyzed after an accident on the set of Marvel Studios' Thor: The Dark World. Online speculation has led many to come to the conclusion that the beautiful actress may have fallen from a horse. But regardless, she is thankfully in good spirits and health as can be seen from the Tweets below.

"Today I sustained a pretty horrible injury. I'm lucky I'm not paralyzed. Thank you (with all of my heart) to those who've looked after me. Already in recovery mode and my spirits are high. I'll be back kicking ass as Lady Sif in no time! It can only get better from here on out! Feeling better today! Speedy recovery taking place! Off to see another specialist. A smile on my face Thank you for all the love! XO. Received great news today! Meds are kicking in. Awesome funny nurses here at the hospital. Physio tomorrow. All good. #HappySif #Thankful"

Jaimie Alexander Injured and Nearly Paralyzed on the Set of THOR: THE DARK WORLD

Update: September 24, 2012

Clive Russell Revealed to Play Tyr in THOR: THE DARK WORLD

Last week, it was reported that Clive Russell and Richard Brake would be joining the cast of Thor: The Dark World in unspecified roles. Now, Deadline has revealed that the two veteran actors would play demigods. Russell is set to play Tyr, the Asgardian God of War and one of Odin's biological sons. Tyr has several times rebelled against Odin due to his love of battle and fought Thor due to resentment of Thor's relationship with Sif and the fact Thor usurped his role as Asgard's greatest warrior.

Brake will play a captain in the elite Einherjar, a warrior team that in the mythology fought alongside Thor on numerous occasions. In Norse mythology, these are the “lone warriors” who die in battle and are brought to Valhalla by the valkyries. In the Marvel world, the Einherjar were led by Ander and were responsible for training Thor.

Russell was recently cast as Ser Brynden the Blackfish, a warrior in the House Tully, in Game Of Thrones’ third season. Brake is currently filming Ridley Scott’s The Counselor, which stars Michael Fassbender, Brad Pitt and Cameron Diaz.

Update: September 11, 2012

Thor Joins the Battle in New Set Photos from THOR 2

Before the Thor: The Dark World went into production, star Chris Hemsworth said that director Alan Taylor (Game of Thrones) was bringing a whole new feel to the film. He said the film would give Asgard a ”more tangible” and “more organic feel.” Mere days into filming, that’s already coming to fruition.

Hemsworth, Taylor, Jaimie Alexander and hundreds of extras are currently filming in England and beautiful set photos have leaked out featuring a massive, massive battle in the woods. Hemsworth is also sporting a new, slightly-altered Thor costume. Gone are the blue color from his costume in The Avengers and added are some armored paddings on the thighs and a black apron. Click HERE to see the recent set photos.

Yesterday, new photos from the Bourne Wood set of Thor: The Dark World have surfaced, featuring an otherworldly battlefield filled with Asgardian warriors taking on a creature-like race known as Marauders, the set photos via Daily Mail notably reveals actress Jaimie Alexander's Sif in action. Click HERE to see the photos.

Movie News and Notes

Last edited by Dragonlordxxxxx; 11-03-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
Dragonlordxxxxx
Senior Moderator

Update: August 21, 2012

Kat Dennings Returns as Darcy in THOR: THE DARK WORLD

The 2 Broke Girls star is coming back to hang out with the God of Thunder. Kat Dennings will reprise her role as the techie Darcy Lewis for Thor: The Dark World. While details are scant for the Marvel Studios’ sequel, it does seem that Dennings’ role has expanded from that of the comic relief sidekick she played to Natalie Portman in the first Thor.

But then a lot has changed for Dennings since Thor came out in May 2011. For one thing, she is now on one of the hottest sitcoms on TV. Since its September 2011 debut, 2 Broke Girls has been one of the highest rated new series this season. The second season is scheduled to start on September 24th on CBS.

Kat Dennings Returns in Marvel's Thor: The Dark World (Exclusive)

Update: August 12, 2012

Alice Krige Joins the Cast of THOR: THE DARK WORLD

Principal photography for Marvel Studios' much-anticipated Thor sequel, subtitled The Dark World, will soon kickoff officially this month. And on-location set preparations have even been spotted overseas in England. And surprisingly, no new cast additions other than Christopher Eccleston have yet to be announced. However, during a lengthy panel at this year's Star Trek: Las Vegas convention, actress Alice Krige announced that she has landed a small role in the Alan Taylor-directed film.

The South African actress added that she may not be recognizable in the film, which indicates that the her role will be some sort of creature or requires a significant amount of make-up and prosthetics. Considering Malekith the Accursed, ruler of Svartalfheim, has been confirmed as the villain, it's quite possible Krige could be playing Alflyse, the the queen of the Dark Elves and the Svartalfheim realm. [or Hela] Krige is best known to sci-fi fans as the Borg Queen in Star Trek: First Contact.

Borg Queen Actress Alice Krige Joins THOR: THE DARK WORLD

Update: August 1, 2012

Christopher Eccleston Cast as Malekith The Accursed in THOR 2

Christopher Eccleston has been cast as the villain in Marvel Studios’ Thor: The Dark World. Deadline reports the English actor will play Malekith The Accursed. In the Marvel Comics, Malekith is the ruler of the Dark Elves of Svartalfheim. He clashed with Thor several times and once wielded the Casket of Ancient Winters. Eccleston is best known for his role as the ninth incarnation of the Doctor in the British television series Doctor Who. In addition, he has appeared on stage and in films such as Shallow Grave, Gone in 60 Seconds, and G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra.

Thor 2 starts filming in London soon. Chris Hemworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Idris Elba, Jaimie Alexander and Anthony Hopkins are all set to come back for the sequel. Directed by Alan Taylor (Game of Thrones), Thor 2 is slated for release on November 8, 2013.

Christopher Eccleston To Play Malekith The Accursed in Thor 2 - Deadline.com

Update: July 14, 2012

THOR: THE DARK WORLD Announced as the Official Sequel Title

Marvel Studios will reveal the title of the upcoming Thor sequel today during the Iron Man 3 panel, along with some possible early footage featuring visual effects reel. Now, IGN has exclusively revealed ahead of the official announcement that the full title for Thor sequel might be Thor: The Darkest World. According to IGN sources, the title will be revealed during today's Marvel panel at San Diego Comic-Con panel in Hall H. They also hear there may even be some footage from the film shown (It might be visual effects/proof of concept-type stuff.)

Updated: Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige just announced the official title will be THOR: THE DARK WORLD. No other details for the film were revealed but the title is in line with what Feige said in the past few months that the sequel will explore other worlds from the Nine Realms. Directed by Alan Taylor (Game of Thrones), Thor: The Dark World is scheduled to be released on November 8, 2013.

Update: June 28, 2012

Stellan Skarsgard Confirms Return as Eric Selvig for THOR 2

Stellan Skarsgard will be returning as Dr. Erik Selvig for Thor 2. He confirmed this in an interview with Hey U Guys. When asked what he had coming up and whether it involved Thor 2, Skarsgard offered this: "I will try to combine Thor 2 which starts in August and goes to the end of December with the new Lars Von Trier film." Plot details for the film is still kept under wraps.

Thor 2 reunites Chris Hemsworth with Tom Hiddleston as Loki, Anthony Hopkins as Odin, and Natalie Portman as the love interest Jane Foster. Mads Mikkelsen is set to play the mysterious main villain. Alan Taylor (Game of Thrones) is stepping behind the camera for its November 8, 2013 release date.

Movie News and Notes

Last edited by Dragonlordxxxxx; 11-03-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Dragonlordxxxxx
Senior Moderator

Update: June 8, 2012

Zachary Levi to Replace Josh Dallas as Fandral in THOR 2

Not all of the Warriors Three will be returning for Thor 2. While Volstagg (Ray Stevenson) and Hogun (Tadanobu Asano) will be reprising their roles as two of the warriors from Thor, Fandral (Josh Dallas) apparently will not. Dallas confirmed to EW that his prior commitments to the ABC series, Once Upon a Time, will prevent him from joining the sequel. So reports have it that Marvel is looking to ex-secret agent super-spy, Zachary Levi (Chuck) to fill the role.

Heat Vision reports that talks have yet to begin, but an offer is imminent for Levi to join the Asgardian vanguard. In a strange twist of fate, Levi was originally offered the role in Thor back in 2010, but had to decline due to his commitments to NBC’s Chuck. The role then went to Stuart Townsend (The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen), who then departed, which allowed Dallas to take up the sword. Now that Dallas is the one with a television commitment, Levi may be free to travel to Asgard after all.

[Updated: 7/10/12] Appearing as a guest on The Tonight Show with Jay Leon, Levi proudly announced today that he'll be replacing Josh Dallas as Fandral the Dashing in the Alan Taylor-directed Thor sequel.

Update: May 31, 2012

Release Date for THOR 2 Moved Up to November 8, 2013

Marvel’s Thor 2 is shifting slightly from November 15, 2013 to November 8, 2013. The film faced no competition as of yet on the November 15th weekend, but Lionsgate’s sure-to-be-massive sequel The Hunger Games: Catching Fire opens on the 22nd so Marvel is giving Thor 2 a chance to have some legs. The film will now open against DreamWorks Animation’s Me and My Shadow and the One Direction Concert Movie (oh boy!). Alan Taylor (Game of Thrones) is onboard to direct with production set to get underway in London in a few months.

In a recent interview, Kevin Feige confirmed that Thanos would not be making an appearance in Thor 2; another big villain would be stepping in. Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Idris Elba, Tom Hiddleston and Anthony Hopkins will return for the sequel. Mads Mikkelsen was recently announced to play the unnamed main villain.

Update: May 24, 2012

Mads Mikkelsen to Play the Main Villain in THOR 2 [UPDATED]

Marvel is set to start filming Thor 2 later this year. Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Anthony Hopkins, Idris Elba and Tom Hiddleston are all set to return, and after an extensive director search that saw Patty Jenkins join and subsequently drop out of the project, Game of Thrones director Alan Taylor is set to take the helm. As that production looms closer, we now have our first new casting addition and it’s a biggie: Mads Mikkelsen will be playing the villain.

Per Variety, Casino Royale baddie Mikkelsen is in talks to star as the main villain in Thor 2. Though it’s unknown what role Mikkelson will specifically play, Hiddelston’s Loki character is said to still have a big part in the film as an antagonist. Mikkelsen is a Danish actor who is probably best known as the villain in Casino Royale, but also had a strong supporting role in 2010’s Clash of the Titans and starred in Nicholas Winding Refn’s Valhalla Rising.

Updated (7/10): Mads Mikkelsen has dropped out of talks to join Thor 2, citing scheduling conflict with NBC's Hannibal series, in which he plays Hannibal Lecter. “Yeah, that’s not happening unfortunately,” the actor said. “I had a meeting with them, but they were a little too late. And then Hannibal came in, and everything just came in the same period, so now it’s not happening.”

Update: January 16, 2012

Idris Elba Confirms He'll Be Back as Heimdall for THOR Sequel

Idris Elba might have been celebrating at the 2012 Golden Globes for his Luther win, but he has a number of high-profile projects coming up also worth cheering over. MTV News' Josh Horowitz caught up with the British actor to get an update on Elba's role in several of 2013's biggest movies.

Next year, Elba will star in Guillermo del Toro's big, ambitious, monster versus robot movie Pacific Rim. If starring in del Toro's next film wasn't enough, Elba also has his own spot in the Marvel universe to worry about. The actor confirmed that his character, Heimdall, would be making another appearance soon. "'Thor 2' for sure," Elba said. " 'Avengers,' we're not sure about, but 'Thor 2' we're going at it again."

Elba can next be seen in Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance which opens February 17th and the highly-anticipated Ridley Scott quasi-Alien prequel, Prometheus, opening June 8th.

Update: January 11, 2012

Jaimie Alexander Confirms Lady Sif Will Be in THOR Sequel

Thor 2 doesn't strike theaters until September 2013, but actors are already lining up for a return trip to Asgard. Jamie Alexander, who played the fierce warrior Sif in the first film, spoke with MTV News recently and said that her character will return for the sequel, and she already has ideas for where her character should go next.

"I'm a comic book nerd at heart, so I'd like to see the relationship between Thor and Sif progress," she said. "Whether or not they do that, we're not sure yet. We'll see. I think that element will be in there, but I don’t know how much."

"I can't tell you," she teased when asked if she had an "Avengers" appearance in the cards. "Sometimes you never know. It'll be funny—they'll call you and they'll do a post-credits scene and you go, 'Oh, so everything I said in interviews is completely wrong.' So you never know!"

"We just got Alan Taylor from 'Game of Thrones' to direct, so I'm very excited. I'm excited to see what he brings," she said. "['Game of Thrones'] is great. The style and the lighting and the tone of it, everything about it is so unlike anything you see on TV these days. He's got a great history of directing comedic bits and action bits, and that's something our movie definitely has."

Update: January 10, 2012

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN Scribe Robert Rodat to Rewrite THOR 2

Lately, Thor 2’s production has been in flux due to the original director Patty Jenkins leaving citing “creative differences” and new director Alan Taylor having to wait for a new writer to rework Don Payne’s original script. It looks as if Marvel Studios has settled on a new screenwriter so now everyone can just settle down and get back to work on making the sequel to one of 2011’s most successful films.

Originally considered a contender for the rewriting job, Robert Rodat has bested competitors John Collee and Roger Avary for the position. According to Deadline, the Oscar-nominated scribe behind Saving Private Ryan and the creator of TNT’s Falling Skies will have the task of scripting where the Asgardian’s story will head after he wraps things up with the The Avengers this May.

Marvel is looking to get production started as the film is currently scheduled for a November 15th, 2013 release.

Movie News and Notes

Last edited by Dragonlordxxxxx; 11-03-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
Dragonlordxxxxx
Senior Moderator

Update: December 24, 2011

GAME OF THRONES Director Alan Taylor Set to Helm THOR 2

The musical chairs game of choosing a director for Thor 2 continues on this fine Christmas Eve, as Marvel has now nabbed a (hopefully) permanent director for the project. Following the exit of Patty Jenkins over “creative differences”, Deadline reports that Emmy-winning TV director Alan Taylor has now been set to take the helm. Taylor’s impressive resume includes the pilot of Mad Men, two episodes of Game of Thrones (the shocking penultimate episode “Baelor” and the season finale), and a handful of installments of The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, and The West Wing.

It was previously reported that Marvel had narrowed their picks down to Taylor and fellow television director Daniel Minahan, but Deadline reports that they’ve settled on Taylor. With a director now set, Marvel can push forward and make their November 2013 release date.

The studio was said to be mulling over a new screenwriter just as Jenkins left the project, and one assumes that’s their next step after tapping Taylor. Scribes apparently on Marvel’s shortlist include John Collee (Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, Happy Feet), Robert Rodat (Saving Private Ryan, creator of Falling Skies), and Roger Avary (Beowulf).

Update: October 13, 2011

MONSTER Director Patty Jenkins to Helm THOR 2 [Updated]

Monster director Patty Jenkins (Monster) has signed on to direct Thor 2. Last month it was reported that Jenkins was in early talks to direct and we commented on how it was surprising that Marvel would hire someone who’s biggest directing credit to date was an independent drama known primarily for how Charlize Theron uglied up and won an Oscar. Jenkins is an interesting choice and makes it more interesting in the film than if some journeyman director had been hired.

We don’t know much about the plot other than Marvel President Kevin Feige’s comment that “[Thor 2 will] primarily be the journey of that character, of he and Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) and how the new dynamic with his father is working out, as well as what are the broader stakes for The Nine Worlds.”

[Updated: 12/06/11] Director Patty Jenkins is leaving Thor 2. Deadline reports that Marvel Studios is already talking to agencies as it canvasses for a new director, something that is expected to happen quickly. Her exit had to do with creative differences, but the feeling is that she’ll probably end up working on one of these superhero films, but perhaps not on a sequel.

Update: August 4, 2011

GAME OF THRONES Director Brian Kirk in Talks to Helm THOR 2

Following the news that Kenneth Branagh would not be returning to the director’s chair for Thor 2, fans were left wondering who Marvel would pull in as his replacement. Variety now reports that Brian Kirk is now in negotiations to helm the sequel. The film will mark Kirk’s big-budget film debut, as he’s been dabbling in TV for the last few years following his 2006 feature debut Middletown. He’s best known for helming episodes of The Tudors, Dexter, Boardwalk Empire, and he most recently directed three episodes of HBO’s fantasy series Game of Thrones. He’s currently at work on the BBC series Great Expectations.

Marvel/Disney has settled on Kirk as their man given his ability to handle large ensembles and ground fantasy in reality. The report states that Thor 2 involves “a large cast of Asgardians and creatures in the Norse mythology-set world.” Don Payne, who co-wrote the first film, is writing the screenplay. Other directors apparently considered for the job include Drew Goddard (Cabin in the Woods), James McTeigue (Ninja Assassin), Noam Murro (300: The Battle of Artemisium) and Breck Eisner (The Crazies).

[Updated: 10/13/11] Thor 2 was originally set for July 26, 2013, but will now try to own the Thanksgiving holiday weekend with a November 15, 2013 release.

GAME OF THRONES Director Brian Kirk in Talks to Helm THOR 2

Update: July 1, 2011

Marvel Hires Screenwriter Don Payne to Write for THOR 2

Screenwriter Don Payne will write the script for Thor 2. Payne was one of the writers credited for Thor and his past credits include the terrible superhero movies My Super Ex-Girlfriend and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. Deadline doesn’t say whether or not Payne will be on the only credited screenwriter on the flick or if Marvel will also bring back co-writers Ashley Miller and Zach Stentz.

As we reported yesterday, Marvel has set the sequel for July 26, 2013. Chris Hemsworth will reprise his role as Thor, but Kenneth Branagh will return only in a producing capacity so a search is underway for a new director.

MY SUPER EX-GIRLFRIEND Screenwriter Don Payne to Write THOR 2

Update: June 30, 2011

Kenneth Branagh Won’t Return to Direct THOR 2

(Posted first by CrazyJHL in the MNN thread)

Of all the Marvel movies released thus far (and this includes those made outside the Marvel Studios banner), Thor has been the toughest sell. He comes from a different world, that world has funny costumes and architecture, and he has to convincingly exist in both Asgard and our mundane world. But somehow the film, despite some various issues in plotting, came together in a fun way that effectively sold the character. And now that the film has raked in $437 million world, Marvel and Disney have decided to release the sequel on July 26, 2013. Marvel’s Iron Man 3 is already set for May 3, 2013.

Deadline reports that Kenneth Branagh won’t return to direct but will stay on in a producing capacity. The split was reportedly amicable and now we can start a new sweepstakes to see who will take the reigns of the series. Chris Hemsworth will return but no other casting announcements have been made.

THOR 2 Set for Summer 2013; Kenneth Branagh Won’t Return to Direct

Update: May 17, 2011

The Enchantress and Executioner Might Be the Villains in THOR 2

Thor is already slated to show up in the upcoming team-up movie The Avengers but once that’s over with, it’s believed that Marvel Studios will already have a Thor 2 in the works. Cinemablend's source is reporting that they’ve already begun kicking around story ideas for the sequel with the hope that they’ll have it ready and in theaters in 2013. The source tells them that while the Thor 2 project is still in very early stages and they don’t expect to start actually writing the script until the end of the year, internally producers are kicking around possible villains. In contention to face off against Thor are two characters named The Enchantress and The Executioner.

In Marvel Comics lore The Enchantress is a powerful Asgard sorceress named Amora. In the comics her first appearance involved an attempt to take out Thor’s love interest in order to have him all to herself. That notion seems to fit pretty well with where the first movie left us. When last we saw him Thor was pining for, and obviously head over heels in love with, Natalie Portman’s Jane. Eventually he’ll have to bring her to court, and that’s going to piss a lot of Asgardians off. The Executioner is a character closely tied to The Enchantress. He’s in love with her, and she manipulates him into doing her dirty work. He’s a warrior and easily manipulated. Toying with him could be fun for Loki too.

Thor 2 Being Planned And We May Know Who The Villains Are - CinemaBlend.com

Movie News and Notes

Last edited by Dragonlordxxxxx; 10-22-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
Dragonlordxxxxx
Senior Moderator

Update: April 29, 2011

My Review of Kenneth Branagh's THOR

Bottom Line: From the amazing performance by the cast, to Patrick Doyle's awesome score, to the formulaic yet humorous and charming tale, Thor is probably the 2nd best Marvel Studio superhero movie to date.

Though I was excited to see Kenneth Branagh's big budget adaptation of Marvel's THOR, it lacked a certain zeal since I was looking forward more to seeing the character coming to life on the big screen rather than because I was blown away with the previews. Then the positive early reviews came and I was happy for the film but I still was a bit apprehensive that it can't live up to my expectations.

Well after finally seeing it, I'm delighted to tell you that THOR, not only deserved all the accolades it has been receiving, but it is also the 2nd best Marvel superhero movie ever made so far. You can just tell from the first 15 minutes that there's something magical about the film. The story just flows so naturally, so seamless. There's no boring moment even when there's a lull in activity. The action finally picks again up in the third act which leads to a sensational all-stops-out climax.

The film opens in the realm of Asgard and with Thor's folly which threatens the peace his father Odin has maintained for millenniums. Banished to Earth, a powerless Thor encounters Jane Foster and learns what it takes to be a true hero. Just in time to thwart his brother Loki and the Frost Giants from taking over Asgard and the Nine Realms.

The wonderful cast gave strong performances, especially Anthony Hopkins, Tom Hiddleston, and Chris Hemsworth. In a star-making turn, Hemsworth gives Thor the perfect balance of arrogance, charm, vulnerability, and heroism. Hopkins imbues Odin with a regal gravitas befitting a king among gods. But what's surprising is Hiddleston's Loki which reveals a surprising depth and even sympathy to his multi-layered villain role. Another delightful surprise is Kat Dennings whom I just mistook as an unnecessary comic relief in the trailers. But she is really naturally funny in here and had the most laughs among the many humorous scenes.

The production values are top notch. Asgard looks breathtakingly divine. The architecture of the structures truly represent magic and science in perfect harmony. The interior sets in Asgard are equally stunning and seeing the Bifrost Bridge in action was awe-inspiring. The Asgardian costume designs were absolutely perfect, from Thor himself down to the Sif and the Warriors Three.

Of course all of the success would not be possible if not for the excellent music of Patrick Doyle. I've said it many times before and I'll say it again -- A great score will elevate the film to greater heights. Doyle's score is rousing and grandoise, and reminiscent to the sound of Steve Jablonsky's Transformers score.

There are two criminal offenses director Kenneth Branagh has committed though. The first is why isn't he making films more often and the second is why isn't he directing The Avengers? Branagh truly did an amazing job with THOR and pulled off with flying "rainbow" colors what many say was an impossible movie adaption. It is to Branagh's credit as a superb storyteller that you are simply captivated by the story despite the tenuous and predictable plot.

As a fan of the character, it was gratifying to see Thor in action at last. I geeked out when Thor hurled his mighty Mjolnir and shattered multiple Frost Giants in a row or when he smashed the ground with such force that it created an explosive ripple around the area or when he finally flies. Even insignificant moments like the twirling of his hammer was such a joy to watch. And I guarantee you'll also geek out when Thor finally prove his worthiness to wield the enchanted Mjolnir.

For sheer spirit-lifting entertainment, THOR is the ultimate superhero fantasy epic for all ages.

Rating: 9/10

Movie News and Notes

Last edited by Dragonlordxxxxx; 01-14-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
Dragonlordxxxxx
Senior Moderator

Update: December 9, 2011

Sherdog's Review of THOR

Sherdog Rating: 91% Approval Rating *(178 out of 195 posters liked it)

Consensus: A fantastic blend of comedy, drama and action, Thor is one of the better comic book movies out there and catapults Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston to stardom.

Liked (178): Aas Gutú Adéli, -ACE-, Ace70 V2, afterganger, AgentOrange24, AgonyandIrony, airtight39, ajw204, ALDOallday, Alvino, Amerikuracana, amp_1986, anarchy_12, Anthony10892, Anung Un Rama, Archie Goodwin, armbarforhire, AxeMurderer2010, AZ103, Bad Company 000, bbbdvan81, Beach Head, BearAKA, Beelzebub7, BigD66, BIP0LAR, BJJ NINJA, Black Bars, Blitz55, bobby boulders, Bob Gray, boomshine888, brownft10, bubkusjones, BuckSlayer50, Captain Hulk 83, Carl25, Chernabog, ChillyPalmer, christhakingpin, Chow-man, codykay2, coldfusion73, Cool Hand Luke, complete, cookeboy189, Cosmo Kramer, cptsteve21, CrazyJHL, CrazyPope, CuePee, Cyke_out, DanaEmelianenko, Dolomite, Doomer, Dragonlordxxxxx, DrBdan, dugforeva, dza76wutang, Edco76, EgonSpengler, electricfuneral, Electric Wizard, elementz, emelianenkoNog, Escabar, esotamoc, esum80, FamousSFO, Fanu, feedmelies, footgod, Fraz1, Gedanke, Gottagetit, groo, harr3929, heavyarms21, highkicknomore, _hoodwink, HorrorPlease, hugekent, hughesfan20, IFightInVegas, IHateUPS, ImRickJames, ironchefigor, IronMaidenfan#1, Ivan Moser, Jakkaru, Janderson Silva, japanese steel, Jay Oliver, JE$$E, Johner, Johnny2fists, journeyman, J Storm, juggernautakira, JustAnotherGuy, justblaze717, KNOB, KONG-D'SNT-TAP, koquerelle, KOPower24, last gunslinga, Level25Virgin, lewm, lildog, Linkuei, liquidus, Mad Max, malkodude503, mastergracie, milliniar, mmafreedom, MMA since 1993, Mr.Bump, Mr Jay, Mugen, mycorona135, Namek, Nordic Nonsense, Old Mate, Opfer, Phokuz, pinkybrief, pinoy ninja, pittelp, Plutoburn, PRIDExxFC, prod2821, pv3Hpv3p, Randy Marsh, Reuben J Cogburn, Rhood, Roryfan, RytroSpyk, ryouboard, SamboPunch, Saint Connor, Sakuraba is #1, SaraJM, skarface, seau45, Separatista, Shinedown88, ShinuKotoWaNai, shotintheface2, Sigh Gunranger, SignalZero, solarnoise, Striker22 Redo, Substance Abuse, sylaxRKO, Syd, Tarantula152, taurus, TheBearJew, thebluerider, The Clinch, The Diplomat, TheKnightMare, ThinkGreen, TKO4SHO, t_o_freak, Trollgrappler, Truebeliever, uberkneeofdoom, ufcfan4, Viva, WARserra, Whitemare, XalexinchainsX, Xion385, XMETALHEADX, yoder

Disliked (9): Aragonian, BryanIam, das omen, Echt, Fonx, Hammer_Fist, RedAger, sodapopinski, ventrue

Average (8): CoffeeandBeer, DelbertMengel, facultas, Jocke, Magooglie, sparky79, theskza, TrueGrit

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aas Gutú Adéli - Good
I found the earth humans very charming. all three of the main people he interacted with. Sif was pretty perfectly cast. Loki was what I wanted him to be. the action was easy to follow. good flow, didn't drag, i was entertained throughout. Thor felt like Thor despite being relatively powerless there for a bit. Hopkins was a great Odin, too. even smaller characters like Heimdall totally worked. it's high up there on the list of Marvel movies

Cool Hand Luke - Good
The movie was very good. The rest of the cast was chosen well. No one else could have been Odin in my opinion and I think Chris Hemsworth was a great find as Thor. (thank God no HHH). There was a perfect mix of action and story telling that made this a wonderful movie to watch. Even if you knew nothing about this character before watching, it is a movie to be enjoyed for the spectacular visuals. The fight scenes with his hammer were also well done. Iron Man is still the best comics2film movie ever made. This is definitely number 2 in my book.

DanaEmelianenko - 8/10
By the power of Thor’s mighty hammer, by Odin’s left eyeball, by Loki’s shaved nutsack, I swear to you that the impossible has happened. . .a comicbook movie has been made that doesn’t suck. The whole thing is pretty campy but spectacular, with gods and superheroes wearing ridiculously designed armor. Thor is brisk and efficient and uses its budget wisely.

Anung Un Rama - 7.5/10
Loki was fucking awesome. Everything that took place in Asgard was awesome. They really nailed that whole God/Space theme. Loved it. Heimdall was badass. Destroyer was cool as fuck. Pretty much everything on Earth sucked except for Destroyer and Hawkeye. Jane Foster was completely unbelievable as an astro physicist. Dialogue was weak.

SylaxRKO - 8/10
Really liked the film, the action and the comedy was good. But, did anyone else think the CGI on the frost giants looked bad all the other effects were great but the scenes with the giants sucked. I hope JMS returns to write for the sequel even tho he's DC exclusive now, you could see alot of his influence in the film and its cool he got a cameo.

solarnoise - Good
Awesome movie. Loki stole the whole show, he was amazing. Odin was great and Hopkins kicked ass in the role. Chris as Thor was pretty good, not exactly Downey Jr. level but was cast perfectly and did the job. The only things I didn't like were the pacing and they really under-played the "thunder" bit in "god of thunder.

juggernautakira - 6/10
Thor was better than I had predicted, which leaves me corrected. I wont piss and moan nor praise and craze because Id agree with those already with realistic judgements. However, id be bored if I watched it twice. Not much really happened besides the beginning and end. No replay value. Just a cut hair above average.

Echt - Bad
Thor full of American casts and jokes is and will be boring. Stop that shit and start to really go deeper in this whole mythology thing and maybe the next movie will have a 8.0 IMDB. But the way they try to market Thor they doing it wrong! Those crappy Marvel movies have to stop. Shit was awful.

prod2821 - 8/10
solid superhero movie, the visuals were really good but some of the fight scenes in the beginning were too dark too see at times. Tom Hiddleston as Loki to me was what made the movie pretty solid. Movie gets a little campy and cheesy at times, but for the most part the action makes up for it.

Bob Gray - 8/10
They did a pretty damn good job. A couple flaws, the biggest being the typical "origin story" slowness after an initial action sequence. The first action sequence was also the best in the movie, which made the climax good and all. All in all, a very fun film, though. Something like this could have been a disaster and its credit to Branaugh that it works. And Hiddleston owns.

pinoy ninja - 8/10
great movie. the cast was fantastic. portman and hemsworth had great chemistry together i thought and hemsworth deserves all the praise he's getting as the god of thunder. he really nailed it. loki is easily one of the best cbm villains ever. the hawkeye cameo tbh was kinda pointless but it was nice seeing him. and anthony hopkins as odin = badass!! my only gripe about it is that it felt rushed at times and the editing could have been smoother. the movie also could have been a bit longer imo. other than that i liked it very much."

Movie News and Notes

Last edited by Dragonlordxxxxx; 01-14-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
Dragonlordxxxxx
Senior Moderator

Update: June 28, 2011

Critics' Review of Kenneth Branagh's THOR

Rotten Tomatoes: 78% Approval Rating (190 out of 245 critics liked it)

Consensus: A dazzling blockbuster that tempers its sweeping scope with wit, humor, and human drama, Thor is mighty Marvel entertainment.

Rolling Stone - 3/4
"Directed by noted Shakespearean Kenneth Branagh with a class-act grasp of how action works best when it defines character instead of obliterating it, Thor comes on like thunder, delivering epic fireworks that don’t neglect the dramatic sparks ignited between father and son, brother and brother, and lovers from two different worlds. Hemsworth, an Aussie actor with a vocal command to match his heaving brawn, doesn't just play the role, he owns it."

CinemaBlend.com - 4.5/5
"Thor is Marvel Studios' best movie so far. This is exactly the sort of movie you'd want to kick off the summer. The story flips almost seamlessly between the fantastical, beautifully realized outer space world of Asgard and a rather more normal, small town in New Mexico. Chris Hemsworth is utterly convincing as Thor, a born fighter with a heart of gold and the film’s anchored by firm performances from the talented cast."

ComingSoon.net - 8/10
"Though occasionally wry it's not as out and out fun as some of the best comic films, but Thor rises to the challenge on the back of solid storytelling and a focus on character more action films could do with. Branagh has cast aside the typical adventure film cliché of plot driving character, instead using his characters to drive his plot and the result is beyond satisfying."

Los Angeles Times - 2.5/5
"For despite all the hype, despite the $150-million budget, despite stars like Oscar winners Portman and Hopkins, what we have here is an aesthetic standoff between predictable elements and unexpected ones. "Thor" has its strengths, but it is finally something of a mishmash with designs on being more interesting than it manages to be."

Richard Roeper - 4/5
"Thor" is the most entertaining superhero debut since the original Spiderman."

Roger Ebert - 1/4
"The story might perhaps be adequate for an animated film for children, with Thor, Odin and the others played by piglets. In the arena of movies about comic book superheroes, it is a desolate vastation. Here is a film that is scoring 79% on Rotten Tomatoes. For what? "Thor" is pitiful. Consider even the comparable villains (Lex Luthor, the Joker, Doc Ock and Obadiah Stane). Memories of all four come instantly to mind. Will you be thinking of Loki six minutes after this movie is over?"

James Berardinelli - 3/4
Those who are looking for high-octane action may be disappointed but those satisfied with an understanding of the complex mythology surrounding the character, coupled with the entertaining "fish out of water" that results from a God wandering around 21st century America, may be delighted. Branagh's Thor is big enough and bold enough to fit under the Marvel umbrella but infused with sufficient uniqueness to make it work for those weary of generic superhero stories.

Entertainment Weekly - A-
"Kenneth Branagh's rousing popcorn adventure about the Norse-blond, hammer-wielding god of thunder who made his Marvel Comics debut in 1962, pulls off something I wouldn't have thought possible: It restores the innocence to big-budget superhero mythmaking. Though it's often a very funny god-out-of-water origin comedy, the movie has a stirring emotional core as well. It's not art, but it's mighty fun."

Movie News and Notes

Last edited by Dragonlordxxxxx; 10-31-2013 at 03:46 AM.
Closed Thread