Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > Mayberry Lounge

Mayberry Lounge Light-hearted humor and intelligent discussion only. No flaming.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
AR6
Banned

vCash: 500
Should evangelical pastors be considered con men?

This is a serious question. I'm seriously getting sick of seeing people give their hard earned money to churches or questionable value so that the pastor can wear a 10,000 dollar suit and have a different rolex every week.
You may say they want to. Well, they are TOLD to by their indoctrinators all the time. When you have been indoctrinated (just like a Maoist killing his own brother in the 60s, or like Nazi, or like a Stalinist soldier in the gulag), the person giving money is more like a victim. Evangelicals truly believe that they need to be good Christians (and these con men insist in the extreme importance of giving money as part of that "be a good Christian" thing) to avoid suffer in hell for all eternity.

Some churches seriously show what they do with all their money. Usually they can be found at the Evangelical Council for financial accountability

ECFA

But many mega churches are not in here and it is painfully obvious what is going on. We all know that vampires like Benny Hinn,

YouTube - Benny Hinn Exposed by nbc Dateline [Unverified Healing Miracles]

the deceased traitor/fraud Jerry Falwell, the diamond trafficker Pat Robertson or the pro genocide/international criminals Rick Warren and Richard Cohen and many more are clearly, we have to say it, Con men.

Since my best friend got cancer and survived 7 yrs ago every year we all go to the hospital for Christmas to get them some toys and stuff. When I invited my girlfriend's parents ("ministers" that didn't even know that the bible was put together by the catholic church) to this they replied that instead of asking donations from the people of the church, I could take the kids to church where Jesus could save them.
That was the first time I got in an argument with them. I calmly explained to them that these kids will die soon or later and the last thing they need is going to a church and be told they need to give money to be saved.

But not only this. These poor indoctrinated ignorant people are exposed week after week to truly theater acts where unknown individuals show up claiming to have been saved from all of these horrible criminal lives (Weird, most people aren't criminal. But it's like in church everyone is some kind of demon before converting) and all kinds of deceases. Including AIDS. Of course no medical records are shown. No legitimate doctors representing a hospital show up saying "yes, this guy had AIDS or a tumor the size of a basketball and one day he was just fine".
In fact I met one person that had claimed to have been infected with HIV and that is supposedly fine. He refused to show me his medical record, refused to give me the name of his doctor, etc.
Benny Hinn has never provided any medical record in all these years. Not even 1, even though we can all more or less think of the huge number of people that have been "cured" if he shows a few every week for years.
One of the most laughable was this woman saying she had no job and all of a sudden 3 thousand dollars showed up in her account. Showing some bank statement that was never read and wasn't even clear in the image.

Of course all of these pastors live a fantastic lifestyle. Wear expensive clothes, have several residences and with time end up using private jets and stay at the best hotels around the world. Of course they do charity, but should we applaud them for that? After all if they receive 100 million dollars a year, not only they should give 80 million to charity, how about giving 99.9 million and the rest you can use it for your expenses if you need them so much?
Some of them are truly despicable. Like one from Guatemala called "Cash Luna". Who has like 10 houses, private jets, etc in a country with like 75% of their population below poverty line. These are poor illiterate peasants that give him whatever they can while he tells them that if he's rich, it's because God makes him rich.

Should the authorities get more involved and once and for all, take control of the finances of the church? Maybe tax the churches and use that tax for charity instead of trusting them with the money from the beginning? Also I think that all claims of "healing" should go through some department or some hospital.
Stop with the bullshit. It's time to consider pastors what they are;

CON MEN

AR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
Hellfire
Banned

I believe that no person should ever put pressure on other people religion wise nor ever bother people because of the beliefs they have, be it Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, Atheist, etc in any way, shape, or form. And yes I am religious.

Hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
Heisenberg

vCash: 10000
The love of money is the root of all evil.

RIP KANSAS
Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:44 PM   #4
el viejito
Banned

i used to do security when i lived in nashville. i actually worked backstage at a benny hinn show. here is what i saw

1. as he drove into the arena, everyone around was forced to hide. you were not allowed to see him as he pulled in. literally, there were 60 year old men who had to hide behind doors. i forget now, but at the time i was prepping for a trip to israel. it was something like the one time god showed himself on earth, the regular humans were not allowed to lay eyes upon him. hinn was actually acting as if he were god.

2. you had to pay $500 to go on stage. it didnt guarantee it, it just allowed you the possibility of going up. once you paid, they took you into a room. it was like a class where the suckers/afflicted were taught how to properly fall and twitch once benny "healed" them.

3. they were recruiting full time employees to work for benny. to be eligible you had to at a minimum join his ministry ($50 a month or something like that), pay for all your own travel expenses, get no pay.

it was a really creepy experience. i have no idea how this is allowed

el viejito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:47 PM   #5
Youthanized

vCash:
TS is angry he didn't think of it first.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:48 PM   #6
spin_

Black Belt

are there actually people outside of their congregation that don't consider them con men?

spin_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
AR6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youthanized View Post
TS is angry he didn't think of it first.
Not really. I'm not good at trying to take people's money. I don't mind speaking in public but I am not good at showing fake emotion.

But there's only one life on earth and it sucks to see people making other people, wasting it in such a useless way.

AR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #8
Bob Gray
Deadlights Belt

vCash: 50
Should?
No.

Could?
Yes.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #9
WandyWiolentFan
Banned

Damn near all of them I know both famous and local sure seem like they are.

WandyWiolentFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:19 AM   #10
Wylian
War Wand

I'm a christian, and this whole asking for money does not sit right with me. Thankfully I've been in a church that is all volunteer, you contribute if u want to, the only expenses are regular bills.