Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > Mayberry Lounge

Mayberry Lounge Light-hearted humor and intelligent discussion only. No flaming.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Valiss

vCash: 500
Icon1 Scientist have officially created artificial meat!

The Telegraph reports that scientists have created the first artificial meat by extracting cells from the muscle of a live pig and putting them in a broth of other animal products where the cells then multiplied to create muscle tissue. Described as soggy pork, researchers believe that it can be turned into something like steak if they can find a way to 'exercise' the muscle and while no one has yet tasted the artificial meat, researchers believe the breakthrough could lead to sausages and other processed products being made from laboratory meat in as little as five years time.

"What we have at the moment is rather like wasted muscle tissue. We need to find ways of improving it by training it and stretching it, but we will get there," says Mark Post, professor of physiology at Eindhoven University. "You could take the meat from one animal and create the volume of meat previously provided by a million animals." Animal rights group Peta has welcomed the laboratory grown meat announcing that "as far as we're concerned, if meat is no longer a piece of a dead animal there's no ethical objection while the Vegetarian Society remained skeptical.

Article: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6936352.ece

For the vegetarians on this site, would you start to eat meat if it was all created in a lab with no animals being harmed (if that is the reason you dont currently eat meat)? Seems like if even PETA has no objections, then most would probably be cool.

Valiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
kodiak

Blue Belt

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f54/gr...nimal-1099352/

Old 11-30-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Valiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooba View Post
Sounds bizarre and it might have unforseen effects on health. We wouldn't need an artifical way to grow so much meat if people just learned to eat less. Im not vegeterian btw.
Side effects would be bad for sure. But let's say there aren't; its simply lab grown meat. IN fact the scientist working on this say the opposite would be your real problem:

"The big question is how could you guarantee you were eating artificial flesh rather than flesh from an animal that had been slaughtered. It would be very difficult to label and identify in a way that people would trust."

What if you couldnt tell the difference at all?

Valiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
prometheus

Brown Belt

interesting stuff.... for years I've ebeen treying to tell anyone that'll listen (most won't) that it won't be long before they'll be able to grow organs on damp cloths in the lab, liver's in petrie dishes, that sort of thing.

looks like they're getting closer to the day

Old 11-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
Lubaolong

vCash:
Yes, I wouldn't have any objections to eating the meat. I just hope it is tasty.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
Broncoi
Banned

sounds awesome if you ask me, has to taste decent tho

Broncoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
Random_Poster
Tease~<3

Let's try this scenario:

Lab-grown penis lets rabbits mate like bunnies - Science- msnbc.com

Say you could have your own lab grown freight train. Would you get it?

I like his AV. If his AV was on a hand towel, I would ejaculate into it. - Will Jacobs

NOT a Gimmick.
Random_Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
Badtangent**
Banned

Pretty awesome if you ask me, this could potentially have a huge effect on world hunger, although I'm sure some corporation will find a way to exploit it for profit. Just imagine though if we could use all the corn and soy that gets fed to cows to help feed people in impoverished countries.

Also, for some reason this makes me think of Wadded Beef.

Nothing like a nice plate of Wadded Beef with a side of Creamed Eels. Yum!

Badtangent** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
cinturão**
Banned

I would eat it if it's proved safe for humans. The name 'soggy pork' doesn't sound appetizing so I would change it.

cinturão** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
Random_Poster
Tease~<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinturão View Post
I would eat it if it's proved safe for humans. The name 'soggy pork' doesn't sound appetizing so I would change it.
Sork.

I like his AV. If his AV was on a hand towel, I would ejaculate into it. - Will Jacobs

NOT a Gimmick.
Random_Poster is offline   Reply With Quote