Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > Mayberry Lounge

Mayberry Lounge Light-hearted humor and intelligent discussion only. No flaming.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #61
touchedbyjab

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Started drinking diet soda to lose weight. I lost 30 pounds and now I'm not dieting anymore, but I still drink diet soda. Regular soda is just too sweet to me now, plus all the refined sugar and carbs in them is ridiculous.

touchedbyjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #62
shaqitup1**
Banned

I drink my rum with diet dr pepper, as my friend said the sugar in pop gives you hangovers, but i never looked into it but it still tastes pretty good.

I don't drink diet regularly though, i think it always tastes a lot worse, well at least for most of hte ones i usually drink like colas or even root beers.

shaqitup1** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #63
cinturão**
Banned

Drink more water.

cinturão** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #64
Shawn91111

Brown Belt

If its soda I will try and stick to Diet Pepsi or Diet Dr Pepper. But then the Mountain Dew calls my name and I submit to its seduction

Old 03-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #65
DocStrange

Blue Belt

I rarely drink any kind of soda, but the two kinds I drink on occasion are Nestea Zero and Coke Zero, because both taste better then their sugar-filled alternatives.

DocStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #66
Madmick
You Can't Stop the Signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker22 redo View Post
Used to drink Diet. Now I only drink water and tea. I feel so much better. These fucking artificial sweeteners are killers. They can cause cancer and many doctors are finding a correlation to stomach and joint pain. Im sure a soda a day aint hurting you, but after a few weeks I didnt miss it and I swear I feel better and lost 20lbs.
Show me a study linking diet soda consumption to cancer. It doesn't exist, Striker. The only link to cancer (or brain tumors) is in rats- not humans- being dosed per body mass thousands of times the amount humans consume in a diet soda. I won't argue that water + tea is healthier and probably less hazardous than also consuming diet soda, but this brand of alarmism is unfounded and has no empirical basis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungtvann View Post
I did watch something about why diet soda is not necessarily better for you and may be worse.

Diet Soda – Is it Bad For You and Can it Cause Weight Gain?

Not the thing I saw but I just pulled this up from google.

Another thing though, US Coca Cola is disgusting. Like, so much so I won't ever drink it again. Good thing we have wonderful sugar Coke in Europe and not that sweetened crap you guys get.

Has anyone else drank sugared coke? Mexican/European or whatever?
Pure sugarcane Coca-Cola is still the standard everywhere else but here. Corn has a chokehold on our sweetener industry. It's just so cheap. And Americans have the worst palates of any people on earth. We don't care if something is well-made; we just want huge, cheap portions.

Nevertheless, it's a myth that diet soda causes weight gain. Excess calories cause weight gain. The problem is that long-term intake of artificial sweeteners tends to increase the craving for more sweet foods:
Gain weight by “going diet?” Artificial sweeteners and the neurobiology of sugar cravings
If you can exercise self-control in relation to your diet, then drinking diet soda is irrefutably better for maintaining a better overall calorie profile. I abhor the notion that "drinking regular soda" is better than drinking diet soda. It's pure sugar in liquid: the only way to make this solution a greater enemy to your midsection would be to add some easily drinkable fat to the mixture (like coconut oil).

If you don't want to exercise discipline, then it's obviously best to drink neither regular nor diet soda.

I hereby decree this the Official Sherdog HW Forum shibboleth.
Madmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #67
Archie Goodwin
Confidential Asistant and Legman Extraordinaire

vCash: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHeDor View Post
Between regular soda (pop for you mid-western folks) and diet soda, which do you prefer?
Regular. It tastes better.

But, regular mostly because I don't have a vagina.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #68
Fists of Fire

Red Belt

I got used to diet cola and just cant go back. Regular seems.too sweet now. My friends will laugh when we go out to eat, ill order a fatass meal and then a diet soda. Then i have to explain that i just like the taste better.

Fists of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #69
NorCalNinja
Banned

Diet soda contains Aspartame, which is proven to cause cancer and make you hungier..

The only people that are fucking retarded enough to drink this shit seem to be Americans.

Even more to the point, all soda is just High Fructose Corn Syrup in a can. Drink that shit and get fat. Simple as that. Cut it out and drink water instead and get skinny. Not rocket science.

NorCalNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:11 AM   #70
ivandrago805

Brown Belt

red bull cola is good. theres like 4 ingredients in it, all natural. diet coke i think tastes better than reg. rreg is too syrupyy

UFC 113 av bet w/ Kidcanada: Daley over Kos

sig date: 9/09 wont take it down for 2 years
ivandrago805 is offline   Reply With Quote