Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > Mayberry Lounge

Mayberry Lounge Light-hearted humor and intelligent discussion only. No flaming.

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #481
Fraz
The Dado

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonlordxxxxx View Post
There was this one-minute scene where he interrogates this guy and it was classic crazy Cage. It's a great addition to his list of infamous movie clips.
Oh yes that one minute will make the whole film worth watching for me. thanks

Old 02-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #482
Aas Gutú Adéli

vCash: 500
This Means War

During the first ten-twenty minutes I seriously entertained the notion that I was going to enjoy the movie. That it'd strike a fun balance between girly stuff and guy(y?) stuff. A decent action scene, good production, good editing. There was cause to be hopeful. They got to the "two friend assassin partners competing over one chick" thing pretty quickly and they did a good job with that. But as the movie pushed on, as it intended to ramp everything up it slowly came apart at the seems. The characters seemed progressively less real, their actions and the government's ambivalence to their actions and their subordinates playing along, became impossible to suspend disbelief. Where Charlie's Angels flicks (same director) live way past that line where I don't even think about it, trying to dabble in things like friendship and relationships this one was rooted in something more real, so it was more jarring for it to break from reality.

Chelsea Handler performed her schtick and provided the uninitiated a few laughs. There were other scenes that provided very real laughs. But eventually it was just too silly. Tom Hardy shot a predator drone down with a pistol while it surveiled his date. Silly that FDR could get access to one, silly Tuck could should it down, silly that they don't wind up in a secret prison for misuse of government resources. The underlings initially were bullied into helping them gather intel, they were told that it was super secret special classified, but a scene or two later they understood EXACTLY the plot of the movie and had no problem helping their boss out.

Later action scenes featured the classic situation of "for every two bullets a hero shoots from his pistol, a bad guy vehicle will explode mightily"

for the first 10 minutes 7/10
then by the end of the first 35 minutes 6/10
then by the end 4/10

Old 02-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #483
guiza

Brown Belt

8/10

Old 02-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #484
cinturão**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonlordxxxxx View Post
She was fine, as was the rest of the cast.

Wondering if anyone here would hit that ass.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #485
TrueGrit

Purple Belt

Bad Teacher - 2/10

Bad movie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KghlQU8e3g - Why I love MMA.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #486
LEGS MAHONEY

Black Belt

Just saw the imaginarium of dr Parnassus. It had a great story line and was trippy as hell.

10/10

Old 02-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #487
Spoken

Silver Belt

Scott Pilgram vs. the World.

Really underrated, FUN film. 7.5/10

Old 02-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #488
Smashandgrab

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinturão View Post

Wondering if anyone here would hit that ass.
Not I.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #489
RytroSpyk
Giallorosso

vCash: 50
J Edgar - 8.5/10

I'd only seen a few positive reviews for the film and I think generally overall it's about 50/50 for critics, so I thought going into it that if it's not great I wouldn't be shocked and vice versa.

I was pleasantly suprised, I thought it was a really well done film, the costume designs and the whole setting was convincing, from 1920s America all the way up to the 60s and 70s, the lighting was a little dark but generally suited the mood of the scenes.

Leonardo DiCaprio is always on his A game, he's clearly one of the best actors working today and has been for probably his whole career and in this he's no different, stunning performance. I wasn't a fan of Armie Hammer before this but I think this may have helped me come around to him, and aside from the badly done aging makeup he was very good in this as well.

I don't really know much about J Edgar Hoover so it could be completely inaccurate and I wouldn't know but it felt genuine and was a gripping story from start to finish, the guy who wrote it, Dustin Lance Black also wrote Milk which was one of my favourite recent films so I'm glad he did another good job on this.

Although Clint Eastwood is a bit hit and miss when it comes to directing, he definitely is dead on here and it was a really impressive piece of directing, and considering he had to try to condense 48 years of a mans life into just over two hours, I think he was spot on.

I was really glad that the Eastwood, DiCaprio pairing worked so well in my opinion, despite the negative reviews I'd seen, and I think regardless of what you've read it's definitely worth seeing if just for DiCaprio's performance.

“The Spurs play basketball the way your dad fights.” - Bill Burr
Old 02-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #490
cinturão**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
I always assumed that he uses the 10-point-must system.
cinturão's movie rating chart:
10: Perfection
9: Brilliant
8: Great
7: Pretty darn good
6: Enjoyable
5: Worth watching once
4: Average
3: Underwhelming
2: Not worth the time
1: Crappy
0: Absolutely shitty