Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > Mayberry Lounge

Mayberry Lounge Light-hearted humor and intelligent discussion only. No flaming.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
BayAreaGuy
Good Day

vCash: 500
NY Times article on college women & hook ups

Click the link and read the whole article. It's interesting. The comments are interesting as well.

Sex on Campus: She Can Play That Game, Too

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/14/fa...-too.html?_r=0

Quote:
At 11 on a weeknight earlier this year, her work finished, a slim, pretty junior at the University of Pennsylvania did what she often does when she has a little free time. She texted her regular hookup — the guy she is sleeping with but not dating. What was he up to? He texted back: Come over. So she did. They watched a little TV, had sex and went to sleep.

Their relationship, she noted, is not about the meeting of two souls.

“We don’t really like each other in person, sober,” she said, adding that “we literally can’t sit down and have coffee.”

Ask her why she hasn’t had a relationship at Penn, and she won’t complain about the death of courtship or men who won’t commit. Instead, she’ll talk about “cost-benefit” analyses and the “low risk and low investment costs” of hooking up.

“I positioned myself in college in such a way that I can’t have a meaningful romantic relationship, because I’m always busy and the people that I am interested in are always busy, too,” she said.

“And I know everyone says, ‘Make time, make time,’ ” said the woman, who spoke on the condition of anonymity but agreed to be identified by her middle initial, which is A. “But there are so many other things going on in my life that I find so important that I just, like, can’t make time, and I don’t want to make time.”

BayAreaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
heavyarms21
Ryozanpaku Belt

vCash: 50
I see no issues at all , interesting read though

Old 07-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Rex Kwon Do

vCash: 1059
You mean chicks in college often give away sex without getting into a relationship?

I'd expect this type of article from Yahoo; for shame, NYT.

- Mike Goldberg, said while Derrick ”Black Beast” Lewis rains down massive, sloppy GnP sledgehammers on Jack May, a kickboxer with no ground game

11/2 MOLON LABIA
Rex Kwon Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
Dalarna3

Green Belt

While easy sex is cool, she's going to end up emotionally dead/fucked-up by the time she's 30.

Dalarna3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
ufcfan4
Can't Andle The Riddum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Kwon Do View Post
You mean chicks in college often give away sex without getting into a relationship?

I'd expect this type of article from Yahoo; for shame, NYT.
Hahah great use of the gif. Thought the same but I guess the only odd thing is that it's from a woman's perspective. We known chicks have been banging outside of relationships since co Ed colleges came into existence but the bottom line is the assumption is the girl is typically attempting to get more and hoping to use the sex to get the guy to commit...

Usually you don't hear the girl outright saying casual sex with someone she doesn't particularly like is what she's seeking.

ufcfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
highkicknomore

Black Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcfan4 View Post
Hahah great use of the gif. Thought the same but I guess the only odd thing is that it's from a woman's perspective. We known chicks have been banging outside of relationships since co Ed colleges came into existence but the bottom line is the assumption is the girl is typically attempting to get more and hoping to use the sex to get the guy to commit...

Usually you don't hear the girl outright saying casual sex with someone she doesn't particularly like is what she's seeking.
She was probably heartbroken before.

All her hookups profit.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
white-pony

Black Belt

Few things are better than sitting around doing nothing when a fwb texts around midnight.

I'm sure the guy she's hooking up with could get along with her but she probably gave it up so easily that he can be an asshole to her and still know she'll give it up.

white-pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
chunglii

Black Belt

So... Some women are sluts?

Not surprised and have no problem with it either.

chunglii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
faustian
RESPECT THO

vCash: 477
Being in a monogamous relationship throughout most of college was one of the most horrendous selfpwns of my entire life

faustian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
PolishHeadlock
Putin Belt

So in this thread we learned it's not 1954 anymore.

College chicks have been like this for a while now.