Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > Mayberry Lounge

Mayberry Lounge Light-hearted humor and intelligent discussion only. No flaming.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #121
Dochter
Minerals, not rocks.

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by theocean View Post
Is it a liberal agenda though, or is it just SOOOOO much easier to make fun of the bat shit crazy side? I think it just makes for better TV to use the nut cases to use as the shows fuel.
Making fun of the tea party tards is easy and funny. However there have been other missed opportunities for showing what good reporting would have been that were less clearly partisan.

For example, the show did a pretty good job illustrating how the spill should have been covered and actually hit on some of the incompetence at the MMS. However, if they wanted to actually illustrate what reporters should have done they would have also gone into how the Obama administration reneged on pushing for immediate cleaning up of MMS--which had long been known to be run by industry for industry in a clear example of regulatory capture. Continuing to cover the spill should also have included calling for Salazaar's resignment.

Dochter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #122
Madmick
You Can't Stop the Signal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkenWouldOwn View Post
For the love of fuck Dexter season 6 never happened. They skipped 5 and 6 and are going straight to 7.

Unless 7 sucks too in which case the show ended after season 4.
I didn't care for season 4. I strongly disliked season 5 until the last several episodes. Then I was totally taken by Julia Stiles as a Dexter soulmate.

Anyways, Sorkin is an unabashed liberal, but the mission statement he outlined in the first couple of episodes of Newsroom is a desperately needed message to the American people: our sensationalist news is making us dumber and the whole theater of partisanship that FOX has created has pulled our perception of the center much farther to the right than it really is. There's a great podcast I like called "On the Media" where each week they break down MSM coverage, its spins, and then analyzes the contributing factors to those angles.

I hereby decree this the Official Sherdog HW Forum shibboleth.
Madmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #123
Archie Goodwin
Confidential Asistant and Legman Extraordinaire

vCash: 23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmick View Post
the whole theater of partisanship that FOX has created

Old 07-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #124
AGGAMEMNON66
-----------Villain-----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh View Post

Meh.. typical HBO political BS in this scene imo (I generally love HBO's shows.. but I really dislike most of what they do/have done with things in regards to politics) the script takes a weak swipe at Liberals in this scene and then hauls off on a handful of what can be considered viewpoints that most conservatives would have. Its as if they had Bill Maher write that 1st scene. The scene has some shock value to it I guess, but its nothing original or outside of the box as far as I'm concerned, and I generally felt the same way about the episode as a whole.

In other words, wasn't really impressed with the 1st scene and further more wasn't all that impressed with the 1st episode. I'll give it a few episodes tho before writing it off or getting into it. I didn't like Boardwalk Empire at 1st either, and now I really dig that show so we'll see

Old 07-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #125
cinturão**
Banned

If they don't show some T&A soon I'm out of here.

cinturão** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #126
AGGAMEMNON66
-----------Villain-----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmick View Post
I didn't care for season 4. I strongly disliked season 5 until the last several episodes. Then I was totally taken by Julia Stiles as a Dexter soulmate.

Anyways, Sorkin is an unabashed liberal, but the mission statement he outlined in the first couple of episodes of Newsroom is a desperately needed message to the American people: our sensationalist news is making us dumber and the whole theater of partisanship that FOX has created has pulled our perception of the center much farther to the right than it really is. There's a great podcast I like called "On the Media" where each week they break down MSM coverage, its spins, and then analyzes the contributing factors to those angles.

lol

Lets not for 1 second pretend that FOX news is the only mass media outlet pumping out 'everyone is now dumber for having sat through this shit' material. Mass media in general is just a giant pile of shit regardless of which side of the fence you sit on as far as I'm concerned. In other words, any major Liberal and/or Conservative media sources can go fuck themselves to death

Old 07-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #127
new_mexico1
Super Chile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollgrappler View Post
We were beat over the head with religion in last season of Dexter. I am not an atheist btw. First he is concerned about faith THEN happens to become friends with a preacher THEN the killer happens to be killing because of faith. It isn't like these things caused Dexter to think of faith. Faith was on his mind from the first episode before he even met the preacher.

It was like "here guys we have a theme this year and literally the entire show and every facet will be this theme" It was contrived and annoying.
The season was amazingly crappy but having a theme doesn't mean it's preaching.

"But in New Mexico, chiles are more than a crop. They're a culture, a way of life."
new_mexico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #128
GearSolidMetal

vCash: 50
Watched the three episodes so far, and the idea that the main character is a Republican journalist is laughable.

In fact, the idea that this show is revisiting old political events and re-reporting it as if the liberals won the argument, just shows the fantasy land they live in.

BTW "The debt ceiling doesn't give permission for the government to borrow more money, it gives it permission to pay back the money we already borrowed" was an especially hilarious line, because if it was anything close to the truth, wouldn't the liberal journalists be screaming it up and down? Also, if it doesn't give permission for the government to borrow more money, how'd we get in debt 5 Trillion in 3.5 years?

Hope this show goes on for a few seasons, it's a great comedy.

GearSolidMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #129
Dochter
Minerals, not rocks.

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearSolidMetal View Post
BTW "The debt ceiling doesn't give permission for the government to borrow more money, it gives it permission to pay back the money we already borrowed" was an especially hilarious line, because if it was anything close to the truth, wouldn't the liberal journalists be screaming it up and down? Also, if it doesn't give permission for the government to borrow more money, how'd we get in debt 5 Trillion in 3.5 years?
I'd be interested to know if that's true as well.
Certainly the retrospective reporting on the Deepwater Horizon was correct and I didn't hear any false attribution of quotes to tea party candidates I was familiar with.

Basically your assertion that the comment about the debt ceiling being a lie is based on you (or me) not hearing about it from reporters. Part of the point of this is the show is that reporters these days suck.

Last edited by Dochter; 07-13-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Dochter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #130
WalkenWouldOwn
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme!

vCash: 1345
Enjoying the conservatives crying about the show, with no facts to dispute what the show is saying.... interesting..

Finally watched episode 3. Meh, just not a great show to me. But found the shredding of the tea party hilarious.