Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > Mayberry Lounge

Mayberry Lounge Light-hearted humor and intelligent discussion only. No flaming.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #31
BryanIam

Green Belt

vCash: 500
I love sci-fi movies but this looks like pure cheese

BryanIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #32
Eagle Press

Brown Belt

I'll definitely catch it.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #33
cinturão**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RytroSpyk View Post
I'm looking forward to it, it's just I don't really like Taylor Kitsch, although he wasn't bad in Friday Night Lights.

The best young actors on the show was Jesse Plemons and Taylor Kitsch.

cinturão** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #34
Dragonlordxxxxx
Senior Moderator

vCash: 50
Update: March 2, 2012

Critics' Review for JOHN CARTER

Rotten Tomatoes: 80% Approval Rating (8 out of 10 critics liked it)

IGN Movies AU
John Carter is wondrous, exciting and emotional entertainment that ends on exactly the right note. It's that rare epic that's not only visually spectacular, but full of heart. My hope is that it will be successful enough to warrant the sequels it so rightly deserves, for it would definitely be a shame not to return to Barsoom again in the near future. 4/5

SFX Magazine
John Carter is an oddly underblown epic, which at least makes a nice change from the overblown bombast that normally parades itself as the sci-fi blockbuster. Lynn Collins’s feisty Dejah Thoris is the best kick-ass sci-fi princess since Leia, and she looks stunning too with her Martian tattoos. All in all, this is one trip to Mars you won’t regret. 4/5

Digital Spy
The film is a dazzling spectacle, for sure, beautifully rendering a desert Martian landscape and its myriad inhabitants. When John Carter moves up the gears it's an accomplished blockbuster packed with pulse-racing action. John Carter may not rack up the box office bucks to make a sequel a formality, but on this evidence we'd be very intrigued by a return trip to Barsoom. 4/5

HitFlix
The good news is that Andrew Stanton, one of the cornerstones of Pixar and the director of both "Finding Nemo" and "WALL-E," has made a nimble jump to live-action, and much of his movie is imbued with a wild, thrilling pulp energy and a genuine sense of wonder. It is a charming science-fiction adventure that makes no apologies for what it is. B+

Matt's Movie Reviews
John Carter is a fun blockbuster. There is fun in its action scenes, in its jaw dropping imagery and especially in its surprising sense of humour that Stanton melds well with its brand of sci-fi spectacular. There has been much fretting about the quality of this $250 million picture. Rest assured Stanton has created a blockbuster worth the money spent and worth spending money on at the cinema. 4/5

Total Film
A handsome new sci-fi adventure that feels rather familiar. Enjoyable enough while it lasts, John Carter is big on ambition and disappointingly short on action. But adrenaline and emotion rarely throb strongly enough to propel the story, making it tough to get particularly excited about a John Carter franchise, despite the vast world and mythology to explore. 3/5

Quickflix
However, once all the confusion regarding names and locations in the first half fades away, we are treated to a series of fairly thrilling action sequences. The film’s extravagant $250 million budget can be seen on the screen in the mostly sumptuous special effects. Who knows? Perhaps the sequel – if we ever get there – will fill in the gaps and expand on John Carter’s legend now all the expositional heavy-lifting has been done. 2.5/5

Fan the Fire
There is plenty to like here, it’s just that we only tend to see it in flashes, and what’s good is far too frequently let down by an awkward script, some flat performances and a dearth of characters to really root for. The film’s rushed but actually fairly satisfying ending helps round things off adequately enough, but comedy dogs and some strong CGI can only carry this adventure so far. 2/5

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f48/a-2641257/
Dragonlordxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #35
CrazyJHL

Brown Belt

I'm somewhat excited for it. I know it looks cheesy, but it is getting good reviews so far. The cast is strong, the source material is good...it should be decent. I look forward to some weird fight scenes since Carter is superhuman on mars.

CrazyJHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #36
Dragonlordxxxxx
Senior Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJHL View Post
I'm somewhat excited for it. I know it looks cheesy, but it is getting good reviews so far. The cast is strong, the source material is good...it should be decent. I look forward to some weird fight scenes since Carter is superhuman on mars.
The media embargo has been lifted and the reviews are slowly pouring in. I'm also getting excited with the positive feedback the film has been receiving.

Gonna see this in IMAX.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f48/a-2641257/
Dragonlordxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #37
CrazyJHL

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonlordxxxxx View Post
The media embargo has been lifted and the reviews are slowly pouring in. I'm also getting excited with the positive feedback the film has been receiving.

Gonna see this in IMAX.
Every review I have seen talks about one particular sequence where they reveal Carter's past and how touching it is. Seemingly the movie is worth seeing for that. Sadly, I probably will see it after I take this horrible test next week.

CrazyJHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #38
heavyarms21
Ryozanpaku Belt

vCash: 670
Well now looks like I'll be watching John Carter

Old 03-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #39
Fizzee Water

Black Belt

vCash: 767
Despite the positive reviews, I just don't give a shit about a guy fighting a bunch of CGI

Old 03-03-2012, 02:34 AM   #40
Bubble Bath
************************* **********************fu

vCash: 100
Disney...nah. You must be an idiot if your excited for this movie.

Bubble Bath is offline   Reply With Quote