Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > Mayberry Lounge

Mayberry Lounge Light-hearted humor and intelligent discussion only. No flaming.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:40 AM   #1
Rick Rock

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
How do you KNOW you broke a rib?

Other than the obvious...get a Xray...how do you KNOW that you broke a rib?

I took a clean shot in my left rib cage, from a strong solid right hook. The pain is not unbearable, but it hurts a little bit. When I inhale deeply it hurts a lil, but once again, not unbearable.

So I expect it to hurt worse tomorrow, but if the pain is still there in a week....I will probably go get an X ray.

Suddenly I remember why I like grappling not boxing.

Rick Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:06 AM   #2
ElbowsBlazing
Maniac Mansion

If its broken you know it usually. It hurts like a bitch when you bend the wrong way, and sneezing is a nightmare. Nothing can be done about it though, it just heals eventually. You may have bruised it and not actually broken it though, but if it is broken, be happy the pain isn't as intense as it could be.

Old 04-24-2006, 02:13 AM   #3
JSN
Banned

you just know. i brokew some doing a bellyflop on my snowboard and the first thing was it felt like i'd just been hit by a truck and couldn't hardly breathe. then i went in the lodge to get my bearings and it was still all fucked up, and i still couldn't breathe too well, and it hurt really bad to lean to that side, and continued to for a couple months. unless you have like no copay it's pretty much not worth going to the doctor- they can't do jack shit.

JSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:19 AM   #4
Rick Rock

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSN
you just know. i brokew some doing a bellyflop on my snowboard and the first thing was it felt like i'd just been hit by a truck and couldn't hardly breathe. then i went in the lodge to get my bearings and it was still all fucked up, and i still couldn't breathe too well, and it hurt really bad to lean to that side, and continued to for a couple months. unless you have like no copay it's pretty much not worth going to the doctor- they can't do jack shit.

ya i go to the free clinic...even tho they charge 20 bucks LOL.

Ive never broken a bone, that I know of, so i'm not sure if my tolerance for pain is GREAT or if its just a bruised bone.

I hope its just a bruised bone...my bones are undefeated!

Old 04-24-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
BritishMMAchamp

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rock
Other than the obvious...get a Xray...how do you KNOW that you broke a rib?

I took a clean shot in my left rib cage, from a strong solid right hook. The pain is not unbearable, but it hurts a little bit. When I inhale deeply it hurts a lil, but once again, not unbearable.

So I expect it to hurt worse tomorrow, but if the pain is still there in a week....I will probably go get an X ray.

Suddenly I remember why I like grappling not boxing.

it doesnt have to be unbearable i have broken ribs countless times and trust me its nothing like a broken nose or toe it jus feels like a sharp pain or a feeling like someones forcing there fingers into your ribcage, try sitting down and reach for something on the floor if its a sharp pain then youv broken it and all of my previous broken ribs and bones have never needed medical attention just let them heal naturally and dont lift any heavy weights

BritishMMAchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
stryker505

Blue Belt

If you broke a rib -yuo could barely walk and breathing/laughing/sneezing would be very painful.

stryker505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:01 PM   #7
Soma
Gettin' dem sponsor's, yo!

I've broke a rib twice. With what you've described it doesn't sound like it's broken, maybe just bruised. Cause as was said, it HURTS to breathe deep, bend, sneeze, laugh. Can't sleep on that side at night and getting up out of bed is a bitch. And yeah, doctors usually can't do anything. If it's broken all they'll do is tell you to rest and take some painkillers. Unless the rib is broken in two place so that a piece is completely broken off. In that case you should see them immediately. But if that were the case you'd be in much more pain and wouldn't need to ask us. You'd have been at the hospital already.

Soma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:44 PM   #8
muerteverde

Black Belt

vCash: 2080
Only way I know of is an X-Ray. I thought I had broken some ribs before but after an extra I was told it was torn cartiledge connecting the ribs. The symptoms were basically the same though. You could also have a serious bruise there that for a time would act the same way.

Old 04-24-2006, 02:26 PM   #9
WUchi
beaver belt

its not broken, i got punched there and i seriously could barely breath for 2 days.. it took like 2 weeks to heal,

its just severly bruised i guess or maybe i had a hairline fracture, who knows, if you grapple, its gonna be easy to injure it again.

2 ˝ ounces gin
2 ˝ ounces tonic water
Splash of Angostura bitters (3 shakes of the bottle)
Juice of a quarter of lime.
Stir ingredients, with ice, in a glass. Serve.
WUchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:30 PM   #10
Rick Rock

Orange Belt

thanks guys...

I think it may be just a bruised bone or torn cartilage or whatever. although it could be broken and I am just an animal when it comes to pain.

okay so i had to take a motrin to sleep last night, soooo what!

Don't get me wrong. It hurts...breathing deep, bending over, lifting, etc....but I have felt worse pain. Id give it a 5-7 out of 10, but its only a quick sharp pain so its not like the pain remains there. I think maybe 'charlie horses' hurt more than this. LOL

once again...i have never broken a bone....so i dont know what it feels like. thanks again for all the input.

Rick

Either way it sucks cuz i am a mechanic. I lift, pull, push, bend over, and crawl every day all day! Work was okay today, but I tried to take it easy.

Last edited by Rick Rock; 04-25-2006 at 01:41 AM.