Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > Mayberry Lounge

Mayberry Lounge Light-hearted humor and intelligent discussion only. No flaming.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
ufcfan4
Can't Andle The Riddum

vCash: 500
Gotta Say These TV Spots for Phantom Menace Re-Release are Solid

In my opinion they do a good job of drumming up excitement for this 3D release of the film. The use of the legitimately awesome Williams piece Duel of the Fates and the particular clips they show definitely combine for a captivating effect.

Though I highly doubt i'll pay for 3D for that film, i do feel now is a time to talk about this movie. What were your opinions of it when you first viewed it. Have you ever checked it out again? Where do you think it stands as far as the Star Wars series stands.

In my opinion its somewhat underrated. I know, I know Jar Jar gets a lot of hate (excessive in my view), and I know the comedy schtick during the fight where Gungans are getting slaughtered is very out of place (oh that Jar, Jar smashing droids via slapstick), and Lloyd is bad, and Skywalker's involvement in the space battle is stupid, and the virgin birth is borderline cringeworthy but i think these are really complaints that do not bring the entire movie down. The film survives because, at the end of the day, it's pretty damn entertaining.

Among the things I really like about that movie

- Neeson- solid performance as usual and Qui Gon is a good character
- Darth Maul- given very little to say but his actions are badass. coolest lightsaber in the star wars universe and the battle against Obi Wan and Qui Gon is really fast-paced and well choreographed (and again use of Duel of the Fates, great).
- Watto- arguably the best character in the film in my opinion. his segment on Tatooine is awesome and i think he pretty much steals the movie.
- quality effects
- pod race is pretty damn awesome
- brisk pace

so let's discuss this film. im expecting a lot of hate for it but hopefully we get a good variety of thoughts/discussion.

ufcfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
ufcfan4
Can't Andle The Riddum

also i realize the title sounds like i posted videos of the tv spots. so please someone embed if you can find them and prevent me from looking like an ass...

if i were to rank the movies i'd go

Star Wars
Empire
(neck and neck)
Sith
Jedi
Menace
Clones

ufcfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
SleepyPanda

Brown Belt

Empire is the best movie in the series.

That said I'm debating if I want to go. Seeing the original series in theaters is something that must have been magic and re-releasing them in order is kinda fun and could capture a little of that magic.

I dislike 3D though. Its a hassle wearing the glasses over my actual glasses. Plus I would feel weird seeing movies I've already seen a few times, but paying $11 for them this time

It needs to be about 20% cooler
SleepyPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
SafyreSchool**
Banned

The prequels all suck, and here's why.
He did a good job too, and he did it first.

SafyreSchool** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #5
Voltaire

Black Belt

I'll pass.

Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:55 AM   #6
BassNectar
--------FUNKADELIC!--------

Part 1 of 7

You have probably seen it

But he really bring up every point possible about what was wrong with this movie..
The dialogue was something awful man..
But..
The thing is, I still watch it if its on TV.

I agree with the poster above.

Empire Strikes Back was so fucking good. Just looking at it as any other movie... Its excellent.

But yeah that Phantom review.
Its 70 minutes long.
But every second was worth it.

Dr. Filipovic supporter. Always
BassNectar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:55 AM   #7
Killer Kadoogan

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcfan4 View Post
In my opinion they do a good job of drumming up excitement for this 3D release of the film. The use of the legitimately awesome Williams piece Duel of the Fates and the particular clips they show definitely combine for a captivating effect.

Though I highly doubt i'll pay for 3D for that film, i do feel now is a time to talk about this movie. What were your opinions of it when you first viewed it. Have you ever checked it out again? Where do you think it stands as far as the Star Wars series stands.

In my opinion its somewhat underrated. I know, I know Jar Jar gets a lot of hate (excessive in my view), and I know the comedy schtick during the fight where Gungans are getting slaughtered is very out of place (oh that Jar, Jar smashing droids via slapstick), and Lloyd is bad, and Skywalker's involvement in the space battle is stupid, and the virgin birth is borderline cringeworthy but i think these are really complaints that do not bring the entire movie down. The film survives because, at the end of the day, it's pretty damn entertaining.

Among the things I really like about that movie

- Neeson- solid performance as usual and Qui Gon is a good character
- Darth Maul- given very little to say but his actions are badass. coolest lightsaber in the star wars universe and the battle against Obi Wan and Qui Gon is really fast-paced and well choreographed (and again use of Duel of the Fates, great).
- Watto- arguably the best character in the film in my opinion. his segment on Tatooine is awesome and i think he pretty much steals the movie.
- quality effects
- pod race is pretty damn awesome
- brisk pace

so let's discuss this film. im expecting a lot of hate for it but hopefully we get a good variety of thoughts/discussion.
dude no. what are some other movies you think are good? watto the best character in episode 1? watto the best character?? this film pretty much blows and i thought everyone knew that.

Killer Kadoogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
BassNectar
--------FUNKADELIC!--------

One of my FAVORITE things about that review..

The producer got a bunch of people together..
And asked them to explain the characters of the original Star Wars with adjectives and not talking about any physical features..

Obviously it was easy doing it with the original characters..
Then they had to do it with everyone in Phantom..

And its not possible. Everything is forgettable and bland. Some decent jobs by the actors.. I actually enjoyed the second half of the movie.. But yeah.
Atleast check out part 1 for what I just described

Dr. Filipovic supporter. Always
BassNectar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #9
bubkusjones

Brown Belt

The Star Wars movies always bring a bittersweet reaction. I see such potential, with rather sub-par execution. In the hands of a proper writer (or team), with quality direction, they could've been amazing.

Never judge a book by its shoddy movie release.
bubkusjones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:38 AM   #10
RackemWillie

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post

I'll pass.
Jar Jar Binks is basically a CGI Chris Tucker.

"When in doubt, shout FHRITP!"
RackemWillie is offline   Reply With Quote