Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > Mayberry Lounge

Mayberry Lounge Light-hearted humor and intelligent discussion only. No flaming.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:15 AM   #1
plasterdog

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Comedians/deep thinkers and depression (smart people) ?

What do you think about this ?

I know many comedians suffer from depression, why is this ?

I think it was Einstein who said he'd never met a happy person who was clever.

I'm a pretty deep thinker and I get depressed often, I can be having a normal day and suddenly start thinking about life/universe etc. and I'll sit and think about all of that shit until I end up becoming depressed.

I'm not trying to say I'm smart because I'm not particularly clever but I am a deep thinker.

Comedians seem to be pretty clever, deep thinkers who question many things and many of them are completely fucked up which is pretty ironic.

Sometimes I see ditsy blondes and think dam I wish my life was simple as just bumbling a long caring about who's famous or fashion instead of thinking about meaningful things.

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

This wasn't a well thought out thread so maybe someone can add some input.

I like Joe Rogan but dam I think he's got some bad shit going on inside.

If anyone knows a way I can contact Big Rhys or what the last song in his UFC 50 HL is then could you pm please, thanks.
plasterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
netei

Green Belt

A lot of my friends are comedians/improvisers/philosophy majors. A lot of my friends have depression.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:22 AM   #3
nerf

Green Belt

the solution is irony, deep tinkers become comedians, not the other way around

here, a bit of kierkegaard could help, the moody bastard...
On the Concept of Irony with Continual Reference to Socrates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-03-2012, 04:28 AM   #4
axion
Suspenders

A lot of comedians have manic tendencies. There's also the idea of IQ vs emotional IQ, just because you have a high IQ doesn't mean you'll be happy and/or successful, in fact you probably won't.

axion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:55 AM   #5
Goodfoot

Brown Belt

Most comedians have turned their defense mechanism into a job. If you look into it, many comedians had terrible childhoods. You'll hear it, stories about not having food, being beaten, having to protect yourself from bully, etc... it all comes out in their comedy.
As for smart people getting depressed, i chalk it up to being able actually know how screwed humanity is as a whole. People who aren't as intelligent can't be bothered to look into all the issues that plague humanity and instead turn on Teen Mom on MTV2. Which of course the smart people know is exactly whats happening, which depresses them even more.
There was a new article about this child genius about a year ago who killed himself because he took a logical, empirical look at the world, figured out that even if succeeded even beyond his wildest dreams, the world would still be shit. So he took his own life.

Goodfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #6
JonesBones
What I need is a good defense..

I don't think they are deep thinkers at all. They just make observations that the average idiot finds profound. If you think someone like George Carlin or Joe Rogan is deep, there is a lot of other stuff out there..

I think you could give much better examples of genius being depressed than comedians.

-Hugo
JonesBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:01 AM   #7
Goodfoot

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by axion View Post
A lot of comedians have manic tendencies. There's also the idea of IQ vs emotional IQ, just because you have a high IQ doesn't mean you'll be happy and/or successful, in fact you probably won't.
Emotional IQ is a crock of shite. I'm not smart but i have feelings!!!!! DUUUUHHHRRR

Found an article about that kid. Brilliant pupil's 'logical' suicide - News - The Independent

Old 08-03-2012, 05:07 AM   #8
homergr

White Belt

There's an interesting concept called depressive realism, which suggests people prone to depression tend to look at the world in a somewhat more "realistic" way than other people. Obviously realism is subjective, but more having to do with seeing the evils of the world and the meaninglessness of life (if you're not religious). Anyway an interesting concept to consider; the closer we come to seeing the world 'objectively", the more unhappy we'll become. So perhaps these people view the world in a more objective way? (this is a broad generalization)

homergr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:15 AM   #9
JonesBones
What I need is a good defense..

Quote:
Originally Posted by homergr View Post
There's an interesting concept called depressive realism, which suggests people prone to depression tend to look at the world in a somewhat more "realistic" way than other people. Obviously realism is subjective, but more having to do with seeing the evils of the world and the meaninglessness of life (if you're not religious). Anyway an interesting concept to consider; the closer we come to seeing the world 'objectively", the more unhappy we'll become. So perhaps these people view the world in a more objective way? (this is a broad generalization)
I don't think the world is objectively anything. People can get what they want out of it.

And honestly, the "evils" of this world do not affect the majority of us on this forum. Most of us will never have to deal with war, famine, etc. and will live pretty comfortable lives. And we rarely think of those who aren't as lucky. The world may be fucked up, but not where I live.

I do think an idle mind can be like idle hands though. You can over analyze for the worse. But if you stay in the moment, you can have some good times.

-Hugo
JonesBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:16 AM   #10
plasterdog

Purple Belt

I'm not saying comedians are geniuses and I'm definitely not the kind of person who says George Carlin is a philosopher more than a comedian.

I lump them into the same category though because they have different world views to your every day person.

Also saying that those comedians make observations that usual idiots find profound I think you need to look at how many people you're calling idiots. There's a lot of people out there impressed with these observations and no-one else is making them or thinking about and going out of their way to bring it up.

When you say usual idiot what you're really saying is your average person.

That thing about the school boy is extremely interesting but it doesn't really tell you much, I'd love to read his diaries and see the maths he used to come up with the idea to kill himself.

If anyone knows a way I can contact Big Rhys or what the last song in his UFC 50 HL is then could you pm please, thanks.
plasterdog is offline   Reply With Quote