Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > Mayberry Lounge

Mayberry Lounge Light-hearted humor and intelligent discussion only. No flaming.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
netbric

Yellow Belt

vCash: 500
Cars without bucket seats

My wife has a nerve problem with her leg and thus it is very uncomfortable for her to sit in cars with bucket seats. Whether or not a certain car has bucket seats is a difficult thing to search for online, so I'm asking you all if anybody knows of any from experience.

In case it's not clear, when I say bucket seat I mean the seats where the seat bottoms are tilted so that the part where your butt sits is lower than the rest. This puts pressure on the back of the thigh, and that's the problem my wife has with them.

I'm looking at compact commuter cars with good gas mileage. The only thing I've driven that's in that class and has OK seats is the Kia Soul. Its seats have flatter bottoms, more like the seats on an airplane or bus.

So, does anybody know of any compact commuter cars that do NOT have bucket seats?

netbric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
asharak

Green Belt

Sounds like you need to buy the fancy adjustable seats

asharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
HaterSlayer

Black Belt

Some Chevy Impalas can be found with bench seats.

HaterSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
Smoove Move
Banned

A lot of trucks have bench seats, which seems to be a better fit.

Get her a small truck. Good gas mileage and seats she can deal with.

Smoove Move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
netbric

Yellow Belt

Even the seats that can tilt every which way are a problem for her. It is the actual contours that are a problem. She's tried sitting on pillows to fill in that extra space, but it doesn't work too well.

We;ve also tried putting a wooden board on the seat with a thin pillow on top, which was OK at first, but it shifted around too much, and there's no way she could drive the car sitting on something like that. I haven't yet tried, but I could custom cut some wood to fit into a particular seat so it doesn't move around and affix some fabric/pillow to the top. I haven't done that yet because we don't own a car yet. I'm first looking to see if there are any cars without bucket seats to consider first.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
netbric

Yellow Belt

I live in a city and this car will be used for commuting on highways most of the time. A truck isn't a good fit.

I'll look into Impalas, thanks.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
Smoove Move
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbric View Post
Even the seats that can tilt every which way are a problem for her. It is the actual contours that are a problem. She's tried sitting on pillows to fill in that extra space, but it doesn't work too well.

We;ve also tried putting a wooden board on the seat with a thin pillow on top, which was OK at first, but it shifted around too much, and there's no way she could drive the car sitting on something like that. I haven't yet tried, but I could custom cut some wood to fit into a particular seat so it doesn't move around and affix some fabric/pillow to the top. I haven't done that yet because we don't own a car yet. I'm first looking to see if there are any cars without bucket seats to consider first.
Your problem is mostly that you're looking for a commuter compact car. They all have bucket seats. You may have to fashion a seat as you described to keep her comfortable. Some luxury sedans have bench seats, most trucks do [used to?], and that should help tremendously. But, as you're looking for a small vehicle, it seems out of range.

Just find a small truck. Good on gas, and more useful anyway.

If not, you get to put your uber manly carpentry skills to practical use.

Edit: Just noticed you said a truck won't work. Like I said, some luxury sedans have bench seats. Lincolns and Chevrolets in particular.

Smoove Move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
chanwahyaoh

Brown Belt

Wouldn't it be easier to find a car based on more practical merits, and then find some kind of a seat-pad to put in it?

Old 02-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
Fatt Hughes

Purple Belt

or find a new wife.

Fatt Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #10
netbric

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to find a car based on more practical merits, and then find some kind of a seat-pad to put in it?
It would but, as I explained, I wanted to ask around to see if anybody knew of any cars that might work. I know very little about cars, this will be the first I've owned in many years. It's difficult to Google information such as this. Now that I know I'm not likely to find a compact with flatter seats, I won't second guess my next decisions. Thanks for your answers, everyone.