Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > Mayberry Lounge

Mayberry Lounge Light-hearted humor and intelligent discussion only. No flaming.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:00 AM   #1
tough evolved
Banned

vCash: 500
antibacterial soap found to be useless

Triclosan is a popular antibacterial chemical that has been on the market for more than 40 years and found in everything from soap to body washes, but recent studies raise concerns that it might be doing more harm than good.

Studies of triclosan in animals suggest that the chemical could increase the risk of infertility and early puberty and other hormone-related problems in humans.

Consumer advocates have questioned why the chemical is still being used after the FDA said it has no evidence soaps made with triclosan “provide any benefit over washing with regular soap and water.”

In 2007, researchers at the University of Michigan and other universities compiled data from 30 studies looking at the use of antibacterial soaps. The results showed soaps with triclosan were no more effective at preventing illness or reducing bacteria on the hands than plain soap.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2...-fda-scrutiny/

The agency’s review comes amid growing pressure from lawmakers, consumer advocates and others who are concerned about the safety of triclosan. Recent studies of triclosan in animals have led scientists to worry that it could increase the risk of infertility, early puberty and other hormone-related problems in humans.

“To me it looks like the risks outweigh any benefit associated with these products right now,” said Allison Aiello, professor at the University of Michigan’s School of Public Health. “At this point, it’s just looking like a superfluous chemical.”

The concerns over triclosan offer a sobering glimpse at a little-known fact: Many chemicals used in everyday household products have never been formally approved by U.S. health regulators. That’s because many germ-killing chemicals were developed decades ago before there were laws requiring scientific review of cleaning ingredients.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/ger...206103781.html

tough evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:04 AM   #2
SwamiLeoni

Red Belt

Infertility? Could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it.

My mom made me use Dial as shower soap when I was little religiously because of ringworm.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:02 AM   #3
Gawd

Brown Belt

This is well known since forever. Only morons use antibacterial soap.

Gawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
wefwef

White Belt

wefwef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
gotBooched
maximus entertainus

Bruh if you don't want to shower then don't shower just don't expect anywhere here to support that

Old 05-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
Oeshon
ช่างมันเถอะ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotBooched View Post
Bruh if you don't want to shower then don't shower just don't expect anywhere here to support that
I don't think anyone is saying don't shower, they are saying the soap is useless.

There was actually some blogger that went without soap and shampoo for a year. Apparently it actually decreased his body odor and gave him healthier skin and hair. Something about the body naturally balancing the pH levels rather than chemical see-saw.

Oeshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
Gorgo

Purple Belt

Screw that antibacterial stuff... I keep a bar of Lava, Comet and a bottle of bleach next the the sink for a good cleansing. And not that scented bleach either.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #8
Gorgo

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeshon View Post
I don't think anyone is saying don't shower, they are saying the soap is useless.

There was actually some blogger that went without soap and shampoo for a year. Apparently it actually decreased his body odor and gave him healthier skin and hair. Something about the body naturally balancing the pH levels rather than chemical see-saw.
My wife wouldn't let me in bed if I went without some kind of soap for a couple days. Plain water don't cut it when you have underarm stench or have taken a greasy chicken wing poo.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
Zuni

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwamiLeoni View Post
Infertility? Could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it.

My mom made me use Dial as shower soap when I was little religiously because of ringworm.
Since ringworm is a fungus, I'm not sure how effective an antibacterial soap would be. Does Dial also kill fungi?

There are a lot of good bacteria on your body, using a soap that kills those bacteria doesn't sound like a good idea to me. It might also prevent your immune system from building up immunities to bad bacteria.

"Youth is wasted on the young." George Bernard Shaw
Zuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #10
Dogstarman
Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeshon View Post

That would not work with me at all. After jiu jitsu or my LISS training I smell like rotten ass. I don't think my body would balance shit out, I would just scare people away with my stench. Also, I don't really use antibiotic soap just tea tree oil soap and salves for cuts and scrapes.

Dogstarman is offline   Reply With Quote