Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
bird1965

Gold Belt

vCash: 500
Wong Jack Man

There are so many threads on Bruce Lee but I have never seen any for the man that fought him to a 20 minute draw. Wong fought Bruce in Bruce's only documented fight. That fight was a draw. Bruce and his friends bragged that Bruce won easily but that doesn't add up to what neutral observers say. A waiter who knew Bruce and Wong told Wong that Bruce was bragging about the victory. Wong intreviewed with the waiter who also wrote for a Chinese newspaper in San Francisco (where Bruce and Wong were at the time) and to challege Bruce to a rematch. Bruce never wanted to fight the rematch. It is also strange that everyone who came into to contact with Bruce has been intreviewed over the years but no one has ever talked to Wong about the fight or anything about Wong's style or what Wong does now. Wong is alive in SF and should have an article written about him. Surely Sherdog could talk to Wong. Maybe Josh Gross or Josh Hedges could do a special about Wong?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
modena1983
I <3 Snatches

what? you don't think maybe newspaper guy was just trying to stir up shit? I do not know bruce, (i did a biography report on him though) i am not sure he would brag, but obviously i could be wrong.

Also wasn't that fight before he fully developed his fighting system?

" It's only homo if you don't work to fix it." -Carnal

Save 5% on your trueprotein.com order with the code ASR915
modena1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
Toothlessjoe
Don't be afraid ever, because, this is just a ride

vCash: 50
Who gives a crap if he won or lost?

Every fighter has a bad match up out there.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:56 AM   #4
bird1965

Gold Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by modena1983 View Post
what? you don't think maybe newspaper guy was just trying to stir up shit? I do not know bruce, (i did a biography report on him though) i am not sure he would brag, but obviously i could be wrong.

Also wasn't that fight before he fully developed his fighting system?
No the newspaper guy was a waiter who knew both Wong and Bruce. He was friends with both and just saw Wong after hearing about Bruce bragging around Chinatown about the fight so the waiter/newsman asked Wong his version. The waiter then told Wong the version he heard from Bruce this is why Wong asked for a rematch with neutral witnesses such as the waiter as Wong was pissed at BL version. Bruce also tried to eyegouge Wong during the bow this was confirmed, I believe, by Dan Insonato. IF BL won as easily as he claimed why would BL need to change his whole fighting system/philosophy? Still an intreview with Wong would be nice if nothing more to see if he still does Kung Fu in the traditional way and what Wong has been up to for the last 40 years.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
randell

Brown Belt

SIFU JACK MAN WONG

Best article there is if you haven't read it.

I do know he retired from teaching full time in 2005. The school he taught at also teaches San Shou if I recall correctly.

I love reading Martial Arts history and trivia, and it would be nice to actually nice to hear an interview from him.

randell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
ginopascali
Splash Heaven

Bruce Lee is a legend. Wong Jack Man is a nobody. Bruce Lee wins.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
randell

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird1965 View Post
IF BL won as easily as he claimed why would BL need to change his whole fighting system/philosophy?.
I believe that despite the fact he won as it is widely accepted, he felt he was very unfit, should have finished alot quicker, his techniques weren't working quick enough etc etc. Which caused him to re-evaluate what he was teaching, learning, practicing hence why he became so interesting in condition, bodybuilding, cross-training and so fourth.

randell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #8
bird1965

Gold Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by randell View Post
SIFU JACK MAN WONG

Best article there is if you haven't read it.

I do know he retired from teaching full time in 2005. The school he taught at also teaches San Shou if I recall correctly.

I love reading Martial Arts history and trivia, and it would be nice to actually nice to hear an interview from him.
Thank You as no I have never read that whole article but only saw bits and pieces such as "BL's toughest fight" in part. very good info in that link. I would also like to read an interview (modern) from him as well. Not just about the Lee fight but all he has done for the last 40 years. Also I have to say it was William Chen who I should have quoted in my 1st post not Insonato sorry for the mistake.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
bird1965

Gold Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginopascali View Post
Bruce Lee is a legend. Wong Jack Man is a nobody. Bruce Lee wins.
Wong is far from a nobody. Read the link and you will see. He was a very good TMA fighter who taught for almost 40 years.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #10
Immelianenkoh**
Banned

This...really isn't MMA related...It's just some Karate fight that supposedly Bruce Lee won, although it may have been closer than assumed. Who cares?

Immelianenkoh** is offline   Reply With Quote