Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:16 PM   #1
DrunkFan001
Banned

vCash: 500
Icon7 Van Dammes' real fight history

Found this on another forum:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000241/bio. It's an account of Van Damme's actual in ring fights. I know I'm not the only one who grew up watching JCVD movies, so I figured this might be of some interest.

"When Jean-Claude Van Damme became an international film star, there was some debate as to his ring accomplishments. Former multiple World Kickboxing Champion Don "The Dragon" Wilson even offered Jean-Claude a "$100,000" bounty match to get into the ring and fight him. Van Damme brushed off the "challenge" as a publicity stunt. But, the truth of the matter was that Jean-Claude Van Damme had indeed had a kick-boxing career, which turned out to be very successful on the European scene. Jean-Claude's karate teacher and coach was Claude Goetz in Brussels, Belgium. under Goetz's guidance, Van Damme developed an impressive array of kicks.

In 1978, at the age of 18, Jean-Claude made his full-contact karate debut under his birth name, Jean Claude Van Varenberg, with an 18 second knockout over Germany's Eric "Basel" Strauss at a tournament in Antwerp, Belgium. A few months later at Iseghem, Belgium, Van Damme knocked out Emile Leibman in the first round. After fighting on the under-card of the main event between France's Dominique Valera and the U.S.A.'s Dan Macaruso in Brussels, Belgium, in which he knocked out a fighter named Verlugels in 2 rounds,

Van Damme started to catch the attention of the Martial Arts World. According to Mike Anders, founder of Professional Karate Magazine, and multiple European Champion Geet Lemmens, Van Damme was definitely an upcoming prospect. In 1979, the nineteen year old Jean-Claude (fighting under his birth name of Van Varenberg) wins the European Full-Contact Championship in the middleweight division. A series of quick knockouts over Andre Robaeys, Jacques Piniarski, and Rolf Risberg, prepare Jean-Claude for the up-coming world championships. Traveling to Florida in the United States, Jean-Claude sets his sights on winning the World Full-Contact Middleweight Title. In his first tournament match, Van Damme scores a knockout over Miami, Florida's Sherman (Big Train) Bergman in the first round of a scheduled 3 rounder in the 160 pound division. However, in his next match, Jean-Claude is defeated by a Belgium fighter named Patrick Teugels. Teugels goes on to become Vice-Champion of the World. In a rematch a few months later, Van Damme revenges his defeat by beating Teugels in less then two minutes.

Following the victory, Jean-Claude retired from active competition. Though some sources list Jean Claude Van Damme's full-contact fight record as 12-1 (12 knockouts), it seems more likely his record was 9-1 (9 knockouts). The sport of Full-Contact Karate later became known as Kickboxing. Controversy arose after Jean-Claude's film career took off because none of his fights were found. The basic fact seems to be that his entire full-contact career was fought under his birth name of Van Varenberg, thus there are no fights listed for a Jean Claude Van Damme."

DrunkFan001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
MNJ_1978

vCash:
I heard Chuck Zito knocked him out with one punch.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
Jedi
Banned

Gotta love van damme!

Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
Apocalypse604

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNJ_1978 View Post
True Story.

Apocalypse604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
Rbagu3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNJ_1978 View Post
ya i've heard it to, my trainer knows chuck zito, and says if you ask him he'll tell you it happened...............
you don't mess with Chucky Pancamo, he runs the wise guys

Old 06-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
grecoguy43

Blue Belt

hmm interesting

grecoguy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:24 PM   #7
Matt4786

Silver Belt

too bad theres no kickboxrec.com

Matt4786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:25 PM   #8
Shortfuse5

Yellow Belt

i didnt know van damme was an actual fighter i heard he was a gymnast and he incorporated that into his movies.

Shortfuse5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:26 PM   #9
Tyte Tyson
Banned

van damn prime>cro cop

Tyte Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:28 PM   #10
Nefron

Purple Belt

Didnt know that,thanks.