Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
nibbles69

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
smoking and stamina

A lack of stamina due to smoking is due to the levels of carbon monoxide in one's blood. Red blood cells responsible for delivering oxygen to all parts of the body via the vascular system. When smoke is inhaled to the lungs, the carbon monoxide (CO) attach themselves the red blood cells. This creates a stamina problem in two ways. One, the CO will not detach themselves for weeks. Secondly, the body must produce more red blood cells and raise ones pulse in order to carry out its job. Smoking (cigarettes or weed, which has 3 to 5 times the amount of CO as cigarettes) a couple weeks before a fight will still have a lingering effect due to the presence of the CO in the bloodstream.

These effects are the exact opposite of training at altitude. When at altitude, the thinner air requires that your body increases the level of hemoglobin (red blood cell) production to function normally. When one returns to sea level, their larger oxygen capacity in their blood stream enables for increased stamina.

I do smoke, so this is not an attempt to bash anyone for what they choose to do. This is simply an attempt to inform.

nibbles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:03 AM   #2
EKyello

Brown Belt

wrong forum

If the ladies wiggle when you talk to them, then you've got yourself a moustache, partner. -Don Frye

Dan Gable by GnP
EKyello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:06 AM   #3
Goldenboy2345

Green Belt

Smoking also causes low birth weight

Goldenboy2345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:07 AM   #4
Cat_Smasher**
Banned

After you quit smoking .... You will have more stamina then you did before you even started smoking ?Also its better to smoke Weed then Cigs for cardio ????

Cat_Smasher** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:07 AM   #5
EKyello

Brown Belt

and impotency

If the ladies wiggle when you talk to them, then you've got yourself a moustache, partner. -Don Frye

Dan Gable by GnP
EKyello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #6
nibbles69

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_Smasher
After you quit smoking .... You will have more stamina then you did before you even started smoking ?Also its better to smoke Weed then Cigs for cardio ????
No. Your body produces only the amount needed. When red blood cells die the are replaced by new ones made in bone marrow. After quitting smoking or returning to sea level after training in altitude, your blood will immediatly begin to thin out.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:14 AM   #7
strecharmstrong

Black Belt

maybe you should buy some of those extended pleasure condoms with climax control lubricant. that should help your stamina.

"Talk to me when you've done something, other than swing back and forth from hatin' to nut hugging." - Brother Ali
strecharmstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:15 AM   #8
babalufan_916

Purple Belt

I completely disagree. I have better stamina than almost anyone I go against, that is actually how I win half of my bjj and wrestling matches, with stamina. It could just matter with the person.

babalufan_916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:17 AM   #9
twh20
Banned

smoking is clinaclly and sceintifcly proven to reduce penise size that being said the reason smoking affects cardio is it disables the hemoglobans in red cells from carrying oxygen .

twh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:19 AM   #10
nibbles69

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by babalufan_916
I completely disagree. I have better stamina than almost anyone I go against, that is actually how I win half of my bjj and wrestling matches, with stamina. It could just matter with the person.
You can still train to have great stamina while smoking. However, your stamina is not at its full potential. If you smoke a joint a week, that is the same as three to five cigarettes a week. That amount is not going to have a large effect on stamina. If you smoke a larger amount, the accumilation of CO in your bloodstream will take a greater effect.