Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
Rob34207

White Belt

vCash: 500
Backstage Stories Of The Pro-Wrestling Industry

Backstage Stories of Pro-Wrestling!!!
I was in the business at one time and have kept up with it. Some stories you mightve heard elsewhere. Yeah theyre that good.

B Brian Blair said on a Radio-Show - "(time-period was mid 70s in Florida where Dusty Rhodes was HUGE Ba Dum Ch), Dusty Rhodes, Blair, Andre the giant are driving in one car which is modified in the back seat to give Andre room. Theyre all piss-drunk, and it's the middle of the DAY. Rhodes was also the "Booker" at that time too (One who makes stories, match-ups, who wins, etc...). So they have this cooler in the back seat with bottles of piss cause they HAVE TOO make it too this City for a show. Of course theres a seperate cooler of beer on Andres other side too.

Blairs driving and he says "Out of the fn'blue this Deer comes tearingass right across the road in front of the car....I swerve hard and missed it, but the cooler of Beer flies forward drenching me. Rhodes started screaming very hyperly "Oh my god you got pizz on the dream! Damn you BB Im gonna make you pay! I'm a superstar oh mercy! Etc.." The Piss cooler had drenched Dusty Rhodes, B Blair said Andre was laughing so-hard (of course the volume), car was shaking, and tears were coming out his eyes.

Not even a week later the three were driving somewhere but its Pitch-Black at night, and being drunk again they gotta gotake a piss. No coolers for obvious reason. They haul their butts out of the car, and cant see shit. Theyre in the middle of nowhere so theyre holding their arms out waving so they dont walk into something....B Blair says he sees a tree...so he whips it out and starts peeing. All of a sudden he hears right in front of him "Not again! Oh no Im jobbin ya BB! The Dream gets pizzed on two times in one week! Oh ill etc...." B Blair was mistakingly pissing on Rhodes leg. He could hear Andre laughing so loud in the woods.

Last edited by Rob34207; 02-03-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Rob34207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
rncgnp
The Captain

hahaha thats some funny shit man. btw theres a wrestling thread in the wasteland. its usually front page, top 3. stop by some time. im sure the guys there, including myself, would love to hear some more of these stories

I am the SoCal Kid, The Captain, Your Saviour!!
rncgnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
chknhawk
Captain Hawk

that's great...got any more?

chknhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #4
Rob34207

White Belt

WHEW! I didnt know how this would be received! Yeah I got more, and if y'all have any Id love to hear them...

Anyone remember JYD, The Junkyard Dog?!

I could get REALLY detailed in this story because the "flavor" of the time was incredible (If I did Dave Meltzer would sue me btw, He's the foremost historian on ANYTHHING to do with "Wrestling" (including MMA) and did the most incredible bio on Dog when he died. To you Dave I just try and recall your story, and omit anything I didnt know and keep in what the general public knows. Go to Dave and get it cause its WAY more awesome than anything I'd write - Wrestlingobserver.com ).

Ok. Back in the early 80's again. This is before Vince McMahon put the "Death Knell" on the wrestling industry dispelling making the public believe "wrestling was real". The territory Dog was in Easily was the poorest Demographic in the country for the business. This is Mid-South Territory Louisiana and surrounding states. JYD was selling out 30,000 seat auditoriums....WEEKLY. The public adored him fiercely, and again realize, the public believed Pro-Wrestling to be real. It was so rough the security for that company was stuff of legend. Bill Watts the promoter even had a place called the "room" where people that jumped a wrestler were taken too, beaten, and by Watts sometimes too. This all happened.

JYD had a program against The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael Hayes, Terry Gordy, and Buddy Rogers). Make long story short - Michael Hayes has this cream that magicians use to create fire (Y'all DON"T KNOW just how much money that magicians cream made for wrestling btw), and he throws it in JYDs' face. Big Ol Fireball goes into Dogs face, and he sells it well. The audience is freaking, and the Freebirds run like madmen into a car that speed them out of the building. This was typical back then in this territory cause fans of JYD would wait outside the auditorium to beat-up JYDs opponents.

The Junkyard Dog is Blind! He'll never be able to see! His career is over! The public outcry was overwhelming. The big sell for the auditorium was JYDs farewell speech. Complete almost instantaneous sell-out.

Audience that night is SOBBING when he's led out to the ring. Selling it all, Dog has the dark glasses on and is holding onto a guys shoulder in front of him being led. Theyre in the ring finally, Security in the place is on High-Alert. Dogs talking - then all of a sudden the "Freebirds" show up.

Place is absolutely Out-of-control! Freebirds get in the ring where JYDs standing there by himself. What happens next was not "planned") They get in the ring, and "Bam" Some brotha dressed like "Dolemite" jumps two rows and is in the ring in-between Dog and The Birds. With a gun outstretched right at Micheal "P.S." Hayes. "I GOT YOUR BACK DOG! DOG I GOT YOUR BACK!!! For a few brief seconds Hayes thinks himself a dead man, and Dog has the gunman right in front of him, but he can't "see" remember. So he is unable to help because he CANT RUIN THE ANGLE!

Like Ants security swarms this guy! They tackled him hard simultaneously! Reports were he was elevated even in the air from impact like the Iwo Jima flag, and then smothered him like Secret Service. The Freebirds run like madmen into a car that speeds them out of the building.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
chknhawk
Captain Hawk

that is fucking awesome!!!! and JYD can't do anything cause he doesn't wanna fuck up the angle!!!!!classic!!!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
chknhawk
Captain Hawk

more, more.....

Old 01-21-2008, 11:55 PM   #7
Rob34207

White Belt

I hope someone else throws some out too.

Abdullah the Butcher had to be one of the fattest pro-wrestlers ever. He was supposedly arabic, acted like a crazed-madman, and bled from the forehead like nobodies business. There was SO-MUCH scar tissue on his forehead Abby while playing cards would joke around and have needles, pins, etc... in his forehead while playing cards or whatever. His immense fatness would typically be seen lounging across two seats with a cigar in his mouth.

So theres this wrestling-show being held in this huge bar/restaurant. They book Abby in the Main-Event vs some guy. Whats funny is this "bar" is more of a Family restaurant than anything so theres lots of little kids. Anyway the two start fighting in the final match, and fall out the ring. They start hitting each other with chairs, brawling through the crowd...to the back, and go thru the Double-Doors leading into the kitchen.

All the little kids go running to the doors to see what happens. Nothing for a bit (building anticipation), and then ALL the little kids scream out and are running full-speed away from the doors.
Here comes Abdullah staggering out of the double-doors, bleeding with a Dinner Fork sticking out of his forehead.
Morale of the story is that when booking a family show dont hire Abdullah.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:00 AM   #8
White Snake

Gold Belt

In his book, Mick Foley mentioned that Abdullah the Butcher could put a poker chip in between his head scars like you would put a quarter into an arcade machine and he would do it just for kicks.

Sherdog: Home of the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet
White Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 AM   #9
Rob34207

White Belt

Yeah that was an awesome read! Did you read "Foley Is Good"? I havent and was hoping its good. No pun intended.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
chknhawk
Captain Hawk

"Foley is Good" is ok, not as good as the first one. It is alot more self serving, and seeing as how he hadn't expected to write a second book, he put most of the good stuff in his first one. What you are left with for his second book, is the time period between his WWE championships and Trips retiring him, and there isn't really alot of interesting things to say about that time period. Foley says it himself in the prologue that the 2nd one was kinda hit and miss.