Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:19 AM   #1
jagwar911

White Belt

vCash: 500
is 31 yrs old to late start MMA?

Is 31 yrs old to late to start trainning MMA?

Old 10-04-2006, 02:21 AM   #2
Maxwell
The stuff dreams are made of

Its never too late to gain something valuable from trying.

Except in your case, you are too old.

Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:23 AM   #3
Rematch
Female oil checking = AWESOMENESS!!!!!

When in doubt get a Randy Coutore poster.

People with paid SD accounts opposing UFC Fight Pass. LOL.
Rematch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:24 AM   #4
speedworks75**
Banned

It may be too old to think of a shot at the big leagues unless you're a phenom. You can always test yourself at KOTC or some other smaller circuit. To be honest training is all ways good cause you never know when you're going to need it plus it's a lot of fun. I say give a shot!!!

speedworks75** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:25 AM   #5
Mr. Dead Sexy**
Banned

Couture went at it into his 40s, after starting at 33. And Severn into his 50s, and he started at 40. So age doesn't always tell you when to start/stop. Then again, Shammy is kind of old..

Mr. Dead Sexy** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:27 AM   #6
Mule-Kick

Blue Belt

It all depends on your goals really, if you just want to train and maybe a couple of fights you are not too old, but if your wish is to become pro i'd say you're too old

Mule-Kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:28 AM   #7
flynny

Orange Belt

vCash: 50
look at ian freeman in the uk he didnt start till he was older and hes the heavyweight cage rage champ. and ufc vet.

flynny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:29 AM   #8
Teedoh74

Black Belt

i just started bjj at 31. never too late to learn, keep your body healthy, stretch right. Go get em!

Teedoh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:33 AM   #9
kaewkaew
Banned

No age is too late, you just have to be more conservative physically and more intensive technically.
So instead of trying to become a machine physcially and end up wearing your body out in 3 years, you should instead really work hard on techniques and gameplans. 31 isnt old at all an dit depends on how you feel in general, but i advise you not to over-do it physcially because at 31 you should be trying to maintain and protect your health and physcial condition instead of wear down your body.
I am 27 so not too much younger than you and i dont do the things i used to do when i was 18-22! The reason is because alot of what i will do now and in the next few years will affect how sore of an old man i will be in 20-30 years from now. I want to be able to run around and play football with my kids when i'm 50 and in order to do that i would rather strengthen my body functionally instead of wearing it down.
You dont need to squat max weights and you dont need to run 2 hours on the treadmill daily. Instead focus on high intensity short rounds that are actually closer to the real fight situation. And then work hard on really having a great fight game with a gameplan. Focus on the details in your grappling and standup and make your techniques awesome.

Go for it man, i am sure that i will still be doing MMA even when i am 40, but like i said i'm just being more conservative physically because i dont want to be a sore old man later down the road.
And statistics say you will have more money and free time when your older and they also say that women are very quickly taking over when it comes to the ratio of women to men so in 15-20 years there will be way way way more women than men in the world so you want to be in shape to do all the single young chicks out there with no boyfriends.

kaewkaew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:35 AM   #10
Puzzle_Cube

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagwar911
Is 31 yrs old to late to start trainning MMA?
Of course not.

Good luck, and have fun.