Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Muay Thai and Kickboxing

Muay Thai and Kickboxing Fist and Feet Fighting Forum Discussion.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:27 AM   #101
Optimvs**
Banned

vCash: 500
You seem to ignore (on purpose, I hope) the fact that Edwards kept punching at Overeem's gloves long after it became crystal clear that he was getting nowhere. And by doing so he just throwed away any victory chances he had.

Truth is Edwards turned out to be a young guy with potential, but totally unexperienced, especially when it comes to fighting against guys with similar KO power to his own.

Last edited by Optimvs**; 11-03-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Optimvs** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #102
krelianx

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimvs View Post
OK, that's a different song. I accept the apology.

Now, back to arguments, let's take it one at the time.

About Hari taking Overeem for dimes at Dynamite! 2008: do you agree that at the time Overeem's K-1 palmares was really a joke? ...
Now, at the time Hari was a K-1 finalist and
Quote:
I bet he still considered
that Bonjasky robbed him in that final.

Why do you thing Hari didn't took him for dimes at the moment? Because Overeem looks like a muscleman?
I don't have to agree with the fact that Allistair's K1 accomplishments prior to beating Hari were relatively insignificant and unimpressive. That is a fact.

Yet this doesn't entail that Hari would be more disposed to undertrain or underestimate Overeem. Many fighters take all their competition as seriously training-wise, and face it with the same rigor. You ask me to state why would Hari take Overeem seriously, if the latter was not known for his K1 prowess. That is a wrongly formulated question, since it does not follow that Allistair's relatively mediocre showings will entail lack of motivation for his opponents. Maybe Hari wanted to make a point against a popular opponent in a big show. Maybe Hari wanted to bounce back from the tournament loss with a bang. Maybe he disliked Overeem and wanted to shut his mouth. Maybe he just maintains a consistent work ethic throughout his fights, and came in well prepared.

Nothing rules out these possibilities.

It does not suffice to say that he underestimated Overeem, since following that logic he could have / would be losing against comparably lesser opponents consistently, which just isn't happening. So you must be implying it is something of an anomaly in Hari's record against lesser competition, which is an entirely speculative move, and one which requires more faith than to believe it was actually the product of their relative skills playing out in the ring as they did.

I'm afraid your entire consideration about Bonjasky is also a product of wild imagination, and unfortunately corners you into inconsistency. It's not at all obvious that Hari would have been affected by his thoughts/feelings about the outcome of the K1 finals. For all we know, he could have been more motivated to make a return statement, he could have been totally indifferent, or could have had it in mind without it affecting him. We simply don't know this.

The spectrum of possibilities here is too broad and nothing takes you beyond gross speculation.

And that is where you fall into inconsistency. You attack the Overeem hype-wagon because you claim it is not warranted on the basis of proven accomplishment. That is to say, you indict the wagon riders for being speculative about how good Overeem is and what he would be capable of doing, without grounds to justify it. Yet you discredit Allistair's win against Hari on the basis of a grossly speculative hypothesis which exceeds solid grounds, and without which you have to admit evidence as a strong indicator of Allistair's relative skill in the division.

You deliberately choose to ignore the fact that your hypothesis about the relative 'insignificance' of Overeem's victory is grounded on unsupported speculation.

Last edited by krelianx; 11-04-2010 at 09:21 PM.
krelianx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #103
AXelator

Green Belt

AXelator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #104
boudstyle

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXelator View Post
Haha, just saw this pic on facebook, wanted to post it here also...
So funny, and haters gonna hate anyways

boudstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #105
AXelator

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by boudstyle View Post
Haha, just saw this pic on facebook, wanted to post it here also...
So funny, and haters gonna hate anyways
Yeah those pictures are good. When surrounded by tiny asians the reem looks like some sort of demi god.

AXelator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:15 AM   #106
PoundUmOut2
American Gangster

if/when alistair wins the gp, this dude will just say he was gifted fights in a weak division, someone wasnt prepared, someone just got caught, but but badr won the rematch, blah blah blah.

doesnt matter if alistair were to ko semmy, submit fabricio and double leg cain, people like this wont give him his credit.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #107
Patrick86L

Purple Belt

What is it with Alistair and wigs lol he was doing this in Korea too.

Another Av worthy picture.

Patrick86L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #108
Optimvs**
Banned

The wig pic is funny indeed .

As for the pics with the tiny coreeeans, I can do that without sweating either , as a matter of fact any normally developped adult male should be able to .

Back to Overeem's so called uberness and what the official hype-bandwagon's troll said: "doesnt matter if alistair were to ko semmy, submit fabricio and double leg cain, people like this wont give him his credit"

My point is that we should wait to see if this happens, and THEN give him credit . Currently he's being awarded a lot of credit for what his fans imagine he could do, but unfortunatelly he never did .

Optimvs** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #109
Tooth and Nail
Forever Brocktober

I get the impression he's still seen as a bit of an intruder to K1 fans.

He'll be dropped like a sack of shit by his fair weather fans after his first loss in MMA. I know that for sure.

In fact professional wrestling is strong.
- Kazushi Sakuraba
Tooth and Nail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #110
tysnw

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimvs View Post
The wig pic is funny indeed .

As for the pics with the tiny coreeeans, I can do that without sweating either , as a matter of fact any normally developped adult male should be able to .

Back to Overeem's so called uberness and what the official hype-bandwagon's troll said: "doesnt matter if alistair were to ko semmy, submit fabricio and double leg cain, people like this wont give him his credit"

My point is that we should wait to see if this happens, and THEN give him credit . Currently he's being awarded a lot of credit for what his fans imagine he could do, but unfortunatelly he never did .

First off, they're Japanese, not Koreans.

And while I doubt you could do that, I really don't think you could do this

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooth and Nail View Post
I get the impression he's still seen as a bit of an intruder to K1 fans.

He'll be dropped like a sack of shit by his fair weather fans after his first loss in MMA. I know that for sure.
He'll have overrated striking, no wrestling, mediocre ground skills and a glass jaw

tysnw is offline   Reply With Quote