Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Muay Thai and Kickboxing

Muay Thai and Kickboxing Fist and Feet Fighting Forum Discussion.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2006, 06:44 AM   #21
Kid McCoy
Banned
 
Kid McCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The seat of global power
Posts: 7,367
vCash: 500
The news story about Vitali Klitschkoís kickboxing is NOT that he lost to Pele Reid, a guy who tried Boxing and didnít make it. All top Kickboxers have gotten clocked cold, and for the best ones like Hoost, Aerts, Bernardo, Hug, LeBanner, etc., itís happened often, so that isnít news.

The news story here is that Klitschko ran through all the available competition in Europe in the late 80ís, early 90ís, became a multiple world champion, and he did it all as a teenager !


Actually, the match with Reid was in Varna, Bulgaria at the WAKO European Kickboxing Championships, but it took place in 1992, not 93í.

But because Klitschko actually became famous years later on the world stage, that stoppage loss to Reid has become quite a little controversy, but accounts of what happened contrast sharply.

Smiler Turner is a good guy, good fighter and good poster here and we have no reason to doubt his account, but there are others who disagree.

I donít see why it couldnít have happened, as Klitschko was just a kid at the time (20), and a rail thin 6í7.5Ē 196 pounder who hadnít even gotten to the peak of his amateur Boxing career yet, but itís amazing how difficult it is to get verification of it.

Almost two years ago when people posted first about the KO Iíd asked a friend at ESPN to track Chris McNeish, or anyone down to get a copy, which they offered $5,000 for, but he was unable to get it.

Vitali remembers it being a leg kick for which he had to retire from the fight.
A number of others offer up the same recollection.

When asked, Vitali gets a little defensive, stating:
ďWho is Pele Reid? It was so long ago that I forgot all about him. Nobody knows who Pele Reid is. My fight with him was a semi-contact kickboxing match. I lost that fight because of a kick to my thigh, not a punch. The thigh had been injured previously, and I shouldnít have participated in the match, but I was a determined boyĒ.

Iím told that Master Meiji Suzuki of the Mugendo in London had no recollection of it being a head kick.
Dwyer Evelyn, John Lawson, Keith Wilson, Raf Nieto, George McKenzie and Desmond Burke didnít recall a head kick being involved either, but I personally have no idea if any of them were there in Bulgaria that day & itís not my place to say if any of them were even in position to know one way or the other.

I do know that aside from Reid himself, during at interview with writer Matt Winsper, that Gary Turner is the source always quoted when the idea of a kick to the head of Klitschko comes up.

I know also that Reid never said a word about it to the press until very recently, after the story about a head kick had already circulated for awhile.

That tape would be a great thing to put up on Youtube, if it exists, but so far, nothing.


Maybe Smiler can get hold of it ?

Kid McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:00 AM   #22
RedDawn

White Belt
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 130
vCash: 500
Vitali was also KO'd by Dutch fighter William van Roosmalen. This bout took place in Kiev in 1995. This was Vitali's first and only kickboxing fight with lowkicks.

RedDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:07 AM   #23
Smiler
Professional Fighter
 
Smiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Church Crookham, 30 miles West of London
Posts: 517
vCash: 500
Hi!

Background time...

Pele had some success at boxing, he did pick up a version of the Intercontinental Heavyweight title. But no further unfortunately. Sorry for getting the year wrong - I've been around a bit, lol! Back then I was competing all over the place in one British Team or another, lol!

I'll try and track down Chris McNeish, see if he has the copy.

But trust me, it was a jump spinning kick, the heel caught Klischko's jaw, and pole axed him.

Anyone any good at shrinking image sizes? I have a picture of all those there in Bulgaria, but I can't post it as its too big - I can email it someone to post for me? In the picture are just about everyone that was there...looking at the picture, maybe Chris wasn't there? Unless he was taking it? In it is me looking like a panda in the middle next to George McKenzie, Tom Hibbert, Pele Reid, Dwyer Evelyn, Peter Edwards, Raf Nietto, Mark 'Wasp', Spider Harrison, Aisha Larson, Eunice Huthart, Meiji Suzuki, Alfie Lewis...not in the picture but Wayne Turner was there too, fighting for Northern Ireland....You'll see the people that were in Bulgaria, but I can't remember all the names...Oh! Peter Lewis from Fighter's mag was there too...he definately saw it, as we all ran on and lifted Pele up, and he took a shot of it and I asked whether he'd put it on the front cover of Fighters...I'll have a look in my loft over the weekend and see if I can find the write up in an old copy...one things for sure, most of Mugendo were there, lol, just look at the number of them in the photo...

If I get a chance I'll start contacting those from the event, see if anyone has a copy...

There were a few mats being competed on at the same time - it may be that someone was also fighting on another mat.

My name is associated with the quote because I posted following Vitali's interview when he said it was a leg kick, when it wasn't. Although it was a kick with the leg, it was light continuous, and it struck him on the jaw. So I posted the correction, everyone told me I was telling porkies, lol, so I obviously defended what I had said.

I was there on the edge of the mat. I saw it. I know what I saw. It was an incredible shot.

Smiler

__________________
Gary Turner
Smiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #24
Kid McCoy
Banned
 
Kid McCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The seat of global power
Posts: 7,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiler
Hi!

Background time...

Pele had some success at boxing, he did pick up a version of the Intercontinental Heavyweight title. But no further unfortunately. Sorry for getting the year wrong - I've been around a bit, lol! Back then I was competing all over the place in one British Team or another, lol!

I'll try and track down Chris McNeish, see if he has the copy.

But trust me, it was a jump spinning kick, the heel caught Klischko's jaw, and pole axed him.

Anyone any good at shrinking image sizes? I have a picture of all those there in Bulgaria, but I can't post it as its too big - I can email it someone to post for me? In the picture are just about everyone that was there...looking at the picture, maybe Chris wasn't there? Unless he was taking it? In it is me looking like a panda in the middle next to George McKenzie, Tom Hibbert, Pele Reid, Dwyer Evelyn, Peter Edwards, Raf Nietto, Mark 'Wasp', Spider Harrison, Aisha Larson, Eunice Huthart, Meiji Suzuki, Alfie Lewis...not in the picture but Wayne Turner was there too, fighting for Northern Ireland....You'll see the people that were in Bulgaria, but I can't remember all the names...Oh! Peter Lewis from Fighter's mag was there too...he definately saw it, as we all ran on and lifted Pele up, and he took a shot of it and I asked whether he'd put it on the front cover of Fighters...I'll have a look in my loft over the weekend and see if I can find the write up in an old copy...one things for sure, most of Mugendo were there, lol, just look at the number of them in the photo...

If I get a chance I'll start contacting those from the event, see if anyone has a copy...

There were a few mats being competed on at the same time - it may be that someone was also fighting on another mat.

My name is associated with the quote because I posted following Vitali's interview when he said it was a leg kick, when it wasn't. Although it was a kick with the leg, it was light continuous, and it struck him on the jaw. So I posted the correction, everyone told me I was telling porkies, lol, so I obviously defended what I had said.

I was there on the edge of the mat. I saw it. I know what I saw. It was an incredible shot.

Smiler

That's awesome Gary, thanks for your efforts man !

Vitali might just want to put it all behind him, or maybe the shot was so hard it KO'd the mamory- lol.

He is getting involved in politics now, so.......

Kid McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:00 AM   #25
Smiler
Professional Fighter
 
Smiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Church Crookham, 30 miles West of London
Posts: 517
vCash: 500
No sweat!

Mammories or memeries, lol!!!!

Pop me an email over to gary@teamgaryturner.com and I'll send you over the picture of the British Team in Bulgaria...see if you can post it...

It could turn into one of those 'where are they now' kinda posts...

Best regards,

Smiler

__________________
Gary Turner
Smiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:24 AM   #26
Smiler
Professional Fighter
 
Smiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Church Crookham, 30 miles West of London
Posts: 517
vCash: 500
Just tracked some emails down...emails gone...I'll let you know what kind of response I get!

Smiler

__________________
Gary Turner
Smiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:31 AM   #27
eycemanf
Banned
 
eycemanf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: B-TOWN
Posts: 549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel_Corpse
He's retired due to prolonged injurys that's why he retired from boxing.
thank you for schooling these guys for me

eycemanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:46 AM   #28
mikebourkefan

Purple Belt
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: the safta fighting center in tulare california U.S.A.
Posts: 2,425
vCash: 500
great thread lots of information

__________________
"they were absolute garbage. those guys are trash they are absolute jokers of the century those are not fighters"-tank abbott talking about jon hess vs andy anderson from ufc 5
mikebourkefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:51 AM   #29
Kire Khar

Green Belt
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: TU KOS-E MADARET
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid McCoy
The news story about Vitali Klitschkoís kickboxing is NOT that he lost to Pele Reid, a guy who tried Boxing and didnít make it. All top Kickboxers have gotten clocked cold, and for the best ones like Hoost, Aerts, Bernardo, Hug, LeBanner, etc., itís happened often, so that isnít news.
To an extent, yes. But Hoost, Aerts, Bernardo, Hug, LeBanner, etc. got clocked cold due to fighting top notch opposition at a very common rate in K-1, back when K-1 legitimately brought in the best of the best. Klitschko, for the most part, fought feeble opposition. The best he fought were an old, past-his-prime Hefton and James Warring. He got KO'd by Pele Reid, and if what a poster on this thread said is true, by William van Roosmalen as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid McCoy
The news story here is that Klitschko ran through all the available competition in Europe in the late 80ís, early 90ís, became a multiple world champion, and he did it all as a teenager !

Hoost, Kaman, Cikatic, and Aerts were 4 kickboxers off the top of my head who were available in Europe during the late 80's & early 90's. Klitschko never fought any of them.

I even question whether Klitschko could have beaten Adrian Carl Thompson, another kickboxer who later went into boxing.

__________________
US Tomato Can on Ramon Dekkers: "Don't get me wrong Ramon is a legend and always will be but he is and still is in the core a karate guy who fought well given his background."
Kire Khar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:31 PM   #30
Yakima Canutt

Purple Belt
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: new york
Posts: 2,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kire Khar
To an extent, yes. But Hoost, Aerts, Bernardo, Hug, LeBanner, etc. got clocked cold due to fighting top notch opposition at a very common rate in K-1, back when K-1 legitimately brought in the best of the best. Klitschko, for the most part, fought feeble opposition. The best he fought were an old, past-his-prime Hefton and James Warring. He got KO'd by Pele Reid, and if what a poster on this thread said is true, by William van Roosmalen as well.




Hoost, Kaman, Cikatic, and Aerts were 4 kickboxers off the top of my head who were available in Europe during the late 80's & early 90's. Klitschko never fought any of them.

I even question whether Klitschko could have beaten Adrian Carl Thompson, another kickboxer who later went into boxing.
I assume from what ive seen that Vitaly only fought full contact rules in kickboxing, or did he ever try modified MT?

Yakima Canutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Latest Threads



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.

Sherdog.com Forum Rules Clear Cookies Social Groups Lost Password
Contact Us - Sherdog Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices

Skin made by Alex. © iStyles.uni.cc Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
forums.sherdog.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.
monitoring_string = "fd5733925866a04e50edd70f38dfaa35"
monitoring_string = "603ac9fff68f23709f2a42bf5e29272b"