Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Muay Thai and Kickboxing

Muay Thai and Kickboxing Fist and Feet Fighting Forum Discussion.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
cassius84

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Masato

I usually follow MMA more then K-1 but from the Dynamite promos they say this is Masatos last fight. Can anyone fill me in? Why is he retiring?

And i read the sherdog preview under kawajiri and said he fought Masato in K-1 and linked the following figter.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Masato-Kobayashi-40487

Is this the same guy? He doesnt look anything like Masato and I dont believe he is 5'3"..

If not why is it that no Max fighter tried some MMA, but alot of MMA fighters tried their luck in K-1?

thanks guys.

-Raoul Duke, Fear and loathing in Las Vegas.

Save the Whales motherfucker...

-South Park episode 913 - Free willzyx
cassius84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
Karaev fan

Purple Belt

1. Yeah Masato is retiring, though he's only 30. He's always been talking about retiring early since he first won the MAX belt 6 years ago, partly because he wants to retire on top and partly because he doesn't want his son to see him punch-drunk.

2. He's a completely different fighter, but Masato's real name is Kobayashi Masato so I suppose that's why he got linked.

3. There's been a few MAX fighters who've crossed over into MMA. The most famous is probably Duane Ludwig. Some others like Jadamba Narantungalag and Takehiro Murahama have fought in HEROS as well. That said, I doubt that a lot of top fighters have reason to cross over when they're fighting on a much more prestigious ring without having to get a ground game.

Karaev fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
southpaw447
Banned

Masato always says he's going to retire. I'm not holding my breath.

southpaw447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
cassius84

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karaev fan View Post
1. Yeah Masato is retiring, though he's only 30. He's always been talking about retiring early since he first won the MAX belt 6 years ago, partly because he wants to retire on top and partly because he doesn't want his son to see him punch-drunk.

2. He's a completely different fighter, but Masato's real name is Kobayashi Masato so I suppose that's why he got linked.

3. There's been a few MAX fighters who've crossed over into MMA. The most famous is probably Duane Ludwig. Some others like Jadamba Narantungalag and Takehiro Murahama have fought in HEROS as well. That said, I doubt that a lot of top fighters have reason to cross over when they're fighting on a much more prestigious ring without having to get a ground game.
Thanks man. That pretty much sums it up. The reason I wondered why so little cross is because alot of the HW K-1 fighters tried MMA. Top guys like Lebanner, Aerts, CC etc. I would have thought they were even bigger stars because they are HW..

-Raoul Duke, Fear and loathing in Las Vegas.

Save the Whales motherfucker...

-South Park episode 913 - Free willzyx
cassius84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:09 AM   #5
Karaev fan

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius84 View Post
Thanks man. That pretty much sums it up. The reason I wondered why so little cross is because alot of the HW K-1 fighters tried MMA. Top guys like Lebanner, Aerts, CC etc. I would have thought they were even bigger stars because they are HW..
They're bigger stars, which is why Aerts and Lebanner were sent off to HEROS and Bombaye to hype up the events. Crocop was part of the whole PRIDE vs K-1 shtick before he realized that he could make more money easier in MMA.

Karaev fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:09 AM   #6
Snubnoze707
มวยไทย

Andy Ologun is 2-1 in MMA. He got flying armbared by Daisuke Nakamura in his loss. He's 2-5 in MAX so he's not exactly the cream of the crop but has good striking compared to most MMA guys.

Snubnoze707 is offline   Reply With Quote