Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Muay Thai and Kickboxing

Muay Thai and Kickboxing Fist and Feet Fighting Forum Discussion.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
Hinch**
Banned

vCash: 500
The less than great debate: Yodsanklai versus Buakaw.

With the appearence of Lumpini/[ee] monster Yodsanklai in K1 MAX, we have the salivating prospect of this Muay Thai magician taking on the man who has become the most well rounded and dangerous fighter in K1 MAX, Buakaw.

So, I ask the people this, just which man is the better fighter? In K1 MAX rules, who would be the victor? I stress K1 rules, as it doesn't look like Buakaw will be heading back to the two big stadiums anytime soon.

Two fighters who are both very young, and both very decorated. Yod is garnered with such titles as:

WBC Muay thai Championship (won from Parr.)
Thai Championship (won from Samkor Kiatmotep)
Lumpinee/Lumpini Stadium Championship. (gets me everytime.) (won over Sam A Tor.Rattanakiat)
Rajadamnern Stadium Championship
Toyota D4D commonrail Tournament Championship.

Buakaw, on the other hand, boasts such held titles as:

* Omnoy Stadium Featherweight Champion
* Muay Thai Authority of Thailand Featherweight Champion
* Omnoy Stadium Lightweight Champion
* Lumpinee Stadium Lightweight 2nd place
* Toyota Muay Thai marathon tournament 140 lb. class winner
* KOMA GP Lightweight Champion
* K-1 WORLD MAX 2004 Champion
* S1 Superwelterweight World Champion
* WMC Middleweight World Champion
* K-1 WORLD MAX 2006 Champion

(Cheers Wikipedia, I was in no mood to type it all out.)

Now, titles can be meaningless half the time, but an insight is always an insight, if not for anything less than the intriguing difference in success within Thailand. Yod has taken the big two (Raj and Lump titles) where as Buakaw has dominated K1 MAX, which boasts a more varied style of fighter to fight. Bear in mind it was said Buakaw's stop at #2 in Lumpinee was due to his teammate and friend being rated #1. Take it with a pinch of salt, but it all adds to a very difficult decision.

So, people of Sherdog, do my thinking for me! I mean, your thinking for you.

Hinch** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:27 PM   #2
anorak

Purple Belt

Yodsanklai was never Ratchadamnern champion.
I would go for Buakao ever so slightly

anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
Hinch**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anorak
Yodsanklai was never Ratchadamnern champion.
I would go for Buakao ever so slightly
From a recent interview with Yod (thanks to Mr.K-1.):

3.How many your fight reccord?your champion belt?Which is your proud belt?
Yodsanklai: my reccord is 180 fight(12 KO,73 lose), I hold 5 belt,
-WBC Muaythai Champion(win JWP)
-Thai Champion(win Samkor kiatmotep)
-Lumpini(win Sam A Tor.Rattanakiat)
-Rajadamnern championship
-Toyota D4D commonrail tournament champion
and WBC Muaythai Belt is my proud.

You may very well be right, as I find it hard to get title histories these days, but I considered if he said it, it's fair play. If you can prove otherwise, I'm happy. It doesn't take away from him in my eyes.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
Eduardo R.
Amateur Fighter

I think Yodsanklai has the edge in power both in his kicks and punches, though it is closer with the punches. Buakaw to me is much more well rounded with better overall defense and he puts his combos together better. I think Yodsanklais best chance would be landing one or a few big shots but as we've seen Buakaw prove his chin and his defense I don't think Yodsanklai would be able to finish him so I'd say Buakaw by decision.

Eduardo R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:34 PM   #5
Hinch**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo R.
I think Yodsanklai has the edge in power both in his kicks and punches, though it is closer with the punches. Buakaw to me is much more well rounded with better overall defense and he puts his combos together better. I think Yodsanklais best chance would be landing one or a few big shots but as we've seen Buakaw prove his chin and his defense I don't think Yodsanklai would be able to finish him so I'd say Buakaw by decision.
I like the summary. It's a given these days that fights with Buakaw will go to decision, uinless he finishes them, thanks to that ungodly chin, Although, I could see the fight being a bit like Kraus versus Buakaw I. Yod is a better fighter than Kraus, and could press the action with those punches.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:28 PM   #6
anorak

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by --Hinch--
From a recent interview with Yod (thanks to Mr.K-1.):

3.How many your fight reccord?your champion belt?Which is your proud belt?
Yodsanklai: my reccord is 180 fight(12 KO,73 lose), I hold 5 belt,
-WBC Muaythai Champion(win JWP)
-Thai Champion(win Samkor kiatmotep)
-Lumpini(win Sam A Tor.Rattanakiat)
-Rajadamnern championship
-Toyota D4D commonrail tournament champion
and WBC Muaythai Belt is my proud.

You may very well be right, as I find it hard to get title histories these days, but I considered if he said it, it's fair play. If you can prove otherwise, I'm happy. It doesn't take away from him in my eyes.
nope doesnt take anything away from the fact he is a great fighter and probably no more than a misunderstanding during interview.

http://www.muaythai2000.com/muaythai...erEn.php?fid=7

that link to his profile I put up a while back also shows his record of titles, the fight with SamA was for the flyweight title, I forget who he beat for the welterweight Lumpini title, ive seen a lot of Yods fights from since he was fighting at flyweight and I dont recall him ever fighting for Ratchadamnern title, ive seen him fight there but very rarely as he mainly fights out of Lumpini.

anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:23 AM   #7
Sanchoy
muay thai ownage

BPP vs Yodsaklai

Yes, (true muay thai experts know) Yod poses the true real threat to BPP's super stardom in the world of max competition.

Hands= Yodsaklai takes this category, he is far more powerful (and game) than bPP in this area. Although BPP's hand exposure has been lighting up various boards lately, he still does not edge Yod in this game.

Feet= edge goes to BPP, although i dont think BPP has the more powerful kick, BPP gets it due to pure speed and accuracy. He is not called the LUmpini assasin for nothing, his kicks are fast, both legs.

Defense= BPP hands down, this guy is godly in the world of defense. Rarely do i see BPP take a strike flush shot, he is good. Maybe Yod can prove us wrong.

Power= I give edge to Yodsaklai, Yod possesses godly power in his left hand and left kick.

Overall= This will be a great fight, both fighters are in their prime time... If i had to pick, even though its close, i give BPP the decision do to more experience under max rules...

Look to see Yodsaklai making a big presence in the Max division in 07/ even rivaling BPP in the Max finals is predictable.

Last edited by Sanchoy; 10-31-2006 at 12:59 PM.
Sanchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:59 AM   #8
Hinch**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anorak
nope doesnt take anything away from the fact he is a great fighter and probably no more than a misunderstanding during interview.

http://www.muaythai2000.com/muaythai...erEn.php?fid=7

that link to his profile I put up a while back also shows his record of titles, the fight with SamA was for the flyweight title, I forget who he beat for the welterweight Lumpini title, ive seen a lot of Yods fights from since he was fighting at flyweight and I dont recall him ever fighting for Ratchadamnern title, ive seen him fight there but very rarely as he mainly fights out of Lumpini.
I appreciate the link, and the help. It's good to get some detail behind people.
I like to know my title histories, just for the sake of having a complete view of a fighter, so the information was very helpful.

And Sanchoy, great post. The only thing I would call on is BPP's defence. He does get tagged on occasions. (Sato, Souwer, Masato, Jomhod to name a few caught him recently) but it doesn't seem to matter based on his fantastic chin. He took a thunderous hook from Masato in 2004, and it barely registered, so we know he can take a shot. The tagging from Kraus also showed that despite him going down to a knee, he has a much stronger chin than most. It would all depend on if Yod really does hit harder, and more accurate, than Kraus and Masato.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:40 AM   #9
derUbermensch
Above the average sherdogger

I don't even know why there's a thread about this. Buakaw is top of the MAX chain and Yodsanklai is not. He hasn't even fought against people who are really good in MAX rules yet so the discussion is purely hypothetical.

derUbermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:04 PM   #10
chlorox

Blue Belt

It is hypothetical, but a good discussion point. Yodseanklai is arguably the best muay thai fighter in this weight class and his skills actually do lend themselves somewhat to Max rules. He kicks and punches harder than Buakow, his punch evasion is excellent. But Buakow's chin is exceptional and so is his speed.

I pick Yod in this matchup by a CLOSE decision because he is a bad matchup for Buakow. Yod has seen and handled Buakow's style of fighting for years and has faced much quicker fighters (in the lighter weight classes in Lumpinin).

chlorox is offline   Reply With Quote