Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Muay Thai and Kickboxing

Muay Thai and Kickboxing Fist and Feet Fighting Forum Discussion.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
Moopsiepuffs**
Banned

vCash: 500
Differences between K-1 and Muay Thai?

Hey,

Complete K-1 newby here, only tuned in because of Overeem as I am a huge MMA fan. Just wondering what the differences are? I know you can elbow in Muay Thai, but I didn't know you could knee in kickboxing.

Any help would be appericated guys.

Moopsiepuffs** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
Slippyj***
Banned

Muay Thai is a sport. K1 is an org. Many of the guys in K1 have MT backgrounds.

Um, as far as differences...lets see well in MT you can hold the clinch as opposed to only being allowed one strike (give or take) in K1. Also yeah elbows are allowed. I dunno what else to say. Someone else will prob give a better answer

Slippyj*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
Lopyswine

Green Belt

knees

Old 12-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
martijn

Brown Belt

In k-1 you can't elbow and there is (very) limited cliching. Also k-1 has different rounds, 3x3 min. In MT every kick counts, in k-1 kicks on the guard etc. don't. k-1 is best described as an 'inbetween' of kickboxing and MT

Old 12-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
cable guy

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippyj View Post
Muay Thai is a sport. K1 is an org. Many of the guys in K1 have MT backgrounds.

Um, as far as differences...lets see well in MT you can hold the clinch as opposed to only being allowed one strike (give or take) in K1. Also yeah elbows are allowed. I dunno what else to say. Someone else will prob give a better answer
This sums it up more or less, one technique is allowed in the clinch, thats why you usually see one knee thrown when fighters clinch and then its broken up quickly. Its difficult for MT purists to get used to at first but i think it makes for cleaner and more entertaining fights. The tournament brackets are what really make K1 great tho. Close fights usually go to an extra round, the most extra rounds there can be is 2.

K-1 INTERNATIONAL RULES | K-1 OFFICIAL WEBSITE

cable guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
MysticNinjaJay

Silver Belt

K-1 is labeled as a Kickboxing organization but it doesn't stick to traditional Kickboxing rules.

Wikipedia can give you a good overview of the history of K-1.

Basically the idea behind K-1 is to have an organizations that blends striking styles. So they applied rules that were deemed to be fair to all the major striking arts.

But lately they have been changing the rules to emphasize pure striking. It's almost like a watered down version of Muay Thai because you can't use the double plum anymore to strike with knees and elbows are not allowed but you are still allowed to knee without the full clinch.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
Boomb

Blue Belt

Muay Thai Rules Muay Thai Rules - The Complete Thai boxing Rules for the Real Matches

K 1 Rules K-1 INTERNATIONAL RULES | K-1 OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Hope that helps. ;)

Boomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
Mophead

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopsiepuffs View Post
Hey,

Complete K-1 newby here, only tuned in because of Overeem as I am a huge MMA fan. Just wondering what the differences are? I know you can elbow in Muay Thai, but I didn't know you could knee in kickboxing.

Any help would be appericated guys.
In k-1 you cannot elbow, you can't double handed clinch and throw knees (which is a new bogus rule). You can only land a limited number of strikes while in the clinch or holding your opponents leg. You technically can't catch a kick and sweep the leg (even though it still happens a lot). The thai style throws that overeem and buakaw use do not count for points. And you are actually not allowed to use a spinning back fist anymore either. They are constantly changing the rules. I have a feeling the no doubble clinch rule was specifically for overeem, buakaw, and shilt. They dont seem to like buakaw too much. The rules are actually quiet different, to keep the fights more exciting, and to limit some fighters that they don't like very much. IMO though it is the most exciting combat sport on the planet.

Mophead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #9
shinkyoku

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopsiepuffs View Post
Hey,

Kickboxing do not have any unified rules. There are as many variations in kickboxing rules as there are kickboxing organizations. More actually, since many organizations have more than one set of rules.
Japanese kickboxing (or oriental rules kickboxing) allows knees, clinch, elbows and whatever (they used to allow headbutts and throws too). Shootboxing (a japanese kickboxing organization) also allows standing submissions and throws.
Shin-karate is a meld of knockdown karate and kickboxing. It allows kicks, knees and punches anywhere, but no elbows.
American kickboxing tend to only allows kicks above the waist. No knees, clinch or elbows. European organizations tend to also allow lowkicks, and occasionally knees.
French Savate allows shoes (not foot-padding but actual shoes), which makes kicking with the point of the toes a valid weapon. Chinese Sanda allows knees throws -and sometimes elbows.

Also point scoring vary to a great degree between the organizations.
Sometimes, like in muay thai kicks (except lowkicks) are scored high and punches (and lowkicks) are scored low. But other times kicks and punches are scored equally

K-1 kickboxing allows knees, but no clinch (since they make for slow fights. They used to be allowed clinch throw one knee and then release, but that was banned since it was difficult to enforce -see Overeem vs Teixeira in the 2009 championship) -although you are allowed to do onehanded hooks+knees- and no elbows (since they cause a lot of cuts and resulting premature stoppage).
Throws are not scored or allowed in k-1, but they have been lax in enforcing this (see basically any 2009 fight with overeem).
In Muay thai kicks that hits the arms are scored as hits. In k-1 kicks to the arms are counted as blocked, and are scored as misses.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
Destroid

Brown Belt

Saki's elbow probably agrees that a hit to the arm counts.

Destroid is offline   Reply With Quote