Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Muay Thai and Kickboxing

Muay Thai and Kickboxing Fist and Feet Fighting Forum Discussion.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
Pinoy Badboy**
Banned

vCash: 500
Attn: Muay Thai scholars, Moving & changing gyms...

I'm relocating and might be training under this guy, he seems legit, but i'm not good with old school Thai fighters and names in general. Idk, it's just really throwing me off that he's doing a jackie chan pose in his pic...ugggh

Maybe you more seasoned and knowledgeable Muay Thai vets can help me in seeing if this guy is worth training under. Here's his bio.

Quote:
Arjarn Tong Trithara was born 1952, on the 27th March, Banpan, Autthaya, Thailand in and had his first introduction to the Thai fighting techniques at the age of twelve years old.He was trained by his uncle, who was a fighter under the name of "Saming Lukbanpan". He started Tong training at the age of twelve years of age.

by C. Heyliger

Later Tong began to be trained by a Champion fighter named "Samaair Sorndang", who was a Thai Boxing champion and western style boxing. Tong fought a few times in Central and Southern Thailand accumulating around 22 fights. On May 5th 1971 at the age of eighteen, Tong traveled to the United States of America. He began to train at the Thai Boxing Academy (The first Thai Boxing school in the United States) and was under the instruction of another famous Muay Thai and western style boxing champion champion named "Niyom Prasertsom" at the The Thai Boxing Academy in Hollywood, California.

Tong saved his money and eventually opened his own school in Down Town Los Angeles, California, with a Vietnamese Thai Fighter who had been training for over ten years in Southern California. In 1979 Tong decided to move to Springfield, Missouri and began teaching and promoting small Muay Thai events until 1985. He has worked as coach and corner-man in many Thai Champion's corner who came to America to compete in International events, He became the Thai Interpreter and advisor for the International Thai Teams that came to the United States, in the City of Tulsa, Oklahoma (twice), the City of Los Angeles, California and the City of Phoenix, in Arizona.

He became the founder of the the Muay Thai Academy in Springfield Missouri in 1989 and formed the Muay Thai U.S.A. Association in the same year and acted as President of the association. He was appointed to be Muay Thai Technical Advisor for Fighter International Magazine, (one of the best Muay Thai magazines at that time).

In 1991 Tong was appointed as a State Athletic Inspector, and finally as a State Athletic Advisor for the State of Missouri. Over the 20 years Tong has trained hundreds of American and European Muay Thai Fighter and several Thai Champion Muay Thai fighters:

Name of the champion fighters he has worked with since 1970

1,) Pud Lorlek (2.) Pud Pad Noy Worawoot (3.) Niyom Prasertsom

Name of the champion fighters he has worked with since 1980 - 90's

1.) Superman Osotsapa (2.) Chumpung Chomputong

3.) Yasin Lukkongtan (4.) Oodnoi Lukprabath

5.) Jamhod Lukkongtan

Pinoy Badboy** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Pinoy Badboy**
Banned

He only has 22 fights, so he's no Bunkerd or Jongsanan or Ganyao

.....Maybe i'm just spoiled by Fairtex.....

Old 09-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
Pinoy Badboy**
Banned

I couldn't find a "Samaair Sorndang", but i could find a Samart Sorndaeng, i wonder if that's the right guy.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
Mr. Death
คนตายแล้ว

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoy Badboy View Post
I couldn't find a "Samaair Sorndang", but i could find a Samart Sorndaeng, i wonder if that's the right guy.
Probably. Surnames in Thailand are very unique. Also, spelling can have a large variance when translated to English. That looks close enough that I would bet it is the same guy.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
KAYNE

Blue Belt

When did you train at fairtex last? I wonder if we were there at the same time?