Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
garlic85

White Belt

vCash: 500
Any good muay thai gyms in New York

I'll be going to New York (staying in Manhattan) soon for a holiday. Would like to find out what are the gyms in NYC that offer good muay thai training. Could be a mma gym as well

Thanks!

garlic85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
HondaS2000

White Belt

For real muay thai, I recommend Coban's gym. Coban Lookchaomaesaithong | Facebook He is a legendary former Lumpinee stadium champion, and still in amazing shape.

HondaS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
Razor Bump
The Authority On Stand Up Fighting

The CRUNCHER..... will always get my vote

Old 04-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
Jukai

Silver Belt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING: This is all second hand information I gathered when researching gyms for my brother very recently. Please take everything with a grain of salt as I've never attended any of these gyms, and if anyone has any corrections or additions, go right ahead.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coban's place is relatively new and certainly worth checking out. Everything I'm reading about it is positive, with not one negative experience. Whenever you have someone like Coban teaching classes, it's at least worth a peak.

The three established powerhouses in NYC, of course, are The Wat, Five Points Academy and Evolution Muay Thai. The Wat is (*generally*) considered the best of the three, Five Points Academy has the best facilities and a massive open gym, and Evolution Muay Thai is a good combo of both, more welcoming to the inexperienced. There's also Chok Sabai that I've heard good things about, and it attracts a sizable amount of good looking women.

If you can make the trip, Sitan's in Astoria Queens is widely considered the best Muay Thai in New York (even though it has more of a dutch flavor to it), but if you're coming from Manhattan, you may be spending more time on the subway than actually training, and Sitan's schedule isn't as flexible as the NYC gyms.
Borodins in Brooklyn is supposedly very good as well, but the Manhattan gyms are on par, and the trip can once again be kinda painful depending on where you are.

For the MMA swing of things, Renzo Gracie Academy, and Camp Undefeated both have great Muay Thai coaches (I believe Renzo's instructor came from The Wat). So if you want to throw in some BJJ/Wrestling/MMA in there, these may be your best bets. Actually, New York Jiu Jitsu may have some great Muay Thai coaching but they seem to drive away their MT trainers every year.

There's supposedly very kickboxing oriented Kyokushin dojos in NYC too, but Kyokushin isn't very beginner friendly.

Also, from what I gather, stay away from NYSanda unless you wanna just take the one free class deal.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Jukai; 04-09-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Jukai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
shera
Banned

I've trained at Ronin Atletics and Five Points (still go there) and can recommend both. Instructor at both are excellent. Haven't trained at Coban but I've heard/read nothing but good things so it's definitely worth a try.

shera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Jukai

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shera View Post
I've trained at Ronin Atletics and Five Points (still go there) and can recommend both. Instructor at both are excellent. Haven't trained at Coban but I've heard/read nothing but good things so it's definitely worth a try.
How does Ronin compare to Five Points? I've heard its standup doesn't compare to the other big named gyms

Jukai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
shera
Banned

^ Yeah Ronin definitely focuses more on grappling, primarily BJJ. I think they only have a single session of muay thai and that’s on a weekend. If grappling's your thing, the student there do well at tournaments (NAGA, Grappler’s Quest, etc.) I myself won a gold after my first 3 months training there back in 2006.

shera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
o0ohhenry

vCash:
if you're in brooklyn (park slope area) theres a new mma gym there called classonemma, they include crossfit also. their website is Class One MMA - Brooklyn's #1 in MMA, Muay Thai, Wresting and BJJ, theres a full list of trainers on that site including luiz azeredo. i tried it out and its pretty awesome.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
swinz

White Belt

Does anyone know how pricey Coban's gym is? Right now i'm paying upwards of $200/month which is pretty ridiculous

swinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
RunBkk13

White Belt

I think Coban is charging $150 at the moment.

RunBkk13 is offline   Reply With Quote