Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Other > Archives

Old 01-18-2003, 03:04 PM   #101
ud

vCash:
Quote:
Originally posted by WingChun
Warm my face up, huh? That's funny how you directly point your finger at me. I cross-train in Muay Thai, boxing, and BJJ.
me too!

Old 01-18-2003, 05:05 PM   #102
FISTICUFFS

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Sorry Wing Chun. My comment was meant to Kung Fu practitioners. I recall you saying that you crosstrain and I also recall saying that was a good thing. All that iron shit is usless IMHO as well.

Old 01-18-2003, 06:14 PM   #103
Adhevil

White Belt

Thumbs down

I took Wing Chun for nearly two years. It was a complete waste of time. We also trained some Mauy Thai and did full contact sparring. I found the Thai stuff more effective than the Wing Chun. I left Wing Chun to train pure Muay Thai after that. Since it was too far to drive to the muay thai school, I took up bjj because it was closer to my house.

The only technique I still use from Wing Chun is the pak sao (slap block). I haden't even seen any MMA events (including the UFC) at the time I quit Wing Chun... so the lack of success of Wing Chun in MMA was not a factor in my decision.

My advice... stick to Muay Thai and Boxing. Boxing will do WAY more for your hands than Wing Chun. Even TKD is better than Wing Chun. At least TKD will help you kick better. IMO Wing Chun is useless.

Old 01-18-2003, 08:25 PM   #104
masterless
Sherdog Veteran

Wingchun wrote...
Quote:
I cross-train in Muay Thai, boxing, and BJJ.
Nowadays we all have to crosstrain...

I have seen some sweet Wingchun moves and I like some of the drills they use.

Problem with Wingchun is, its hard to find a true "Master" in that style(Its easy to find watered down "Masters", thats the real problem), and it takes years of dedicated practice to get to a level that is good for street combat.

BTW I have a video clip of some Russian Wing Tsun from Imesh. If I knew how to put it on this forum I think alot of ppl would be impressed.

Old 01-18-2003, 11:12 PM   #105
FISTICUFFS

Purple Belt

Adhevil

Couldn't have said it better. We have had the exact same expeience, down to the letter. I am not out to "bash" the Wing Chun guys, I just feel that the style is highly over rated and uses the name to promote a uneffective style.

Wing Chun

No matter what styles you are going to mix, the ones you are training in are perfect. Honestly, I don't know why you bother with the KF unless you get some type of happiness out of it. That is all I am trying to get across.

Old 01-18-2003, 11:38 PM   #106
WingChun

Blue Belt

I stick with Kung Fu because I enjoy it, mostly. I've progressed significantly fast in it (light brown sash in Wing Chun, blue sash in Sport Kung-Fu.) There's sort of a passion for it, not to mention a natural talent for martial arts in general. Not that I'm trying to blow my own horn or anything.

I started cross-training in Muay Thai because I wanted to fight in some amateur boughts, and I knew (as a fan of boxing, kickboxing, and MMA) that using just Wing Chun would get me no where. Also, perhaps the biggest reason why I decided to cross-train is a strange one. One of the members of a Sport Kung-Fu fighting team called the Fighting Dragons -- "Blast Dragon" -- fought much like a Muay Thai artist, and he proved to be quite successful in the ring. I wanted to fight like him, especially since my instructor often called me "Blast 2" aside from "Fury Dragon."

Old 01-18-2003, 11:41 PM   #107
FISTICUFFS

Purple Belt

If you are any good, fuck the KF and hit your training hardcore.

Old 01-18-2003, 11:49 PM   #108
WingChun

Blue Belt

Heheheh, to be honest that's what I've done recently. I feel bad about it, but I've sort of pushed my Wing Chun aside and focused most of my attention and efforts on weight lifting and Muay Thai. Unfortunately I only get to go to class once a week, and then use the Vut tapes for reference. My mother hates driving me out there, which sucks because it slows me down a bit.

Nonetheless, progression in Muay Thai seems to be extremely fast. It actually feels more natural than Wing Chun did. There's something about it that clicks, and just feels right.

Old 01-18-2003, 11:57 PM   #109
FISTICUFFS

Purple Belt

It is not really that WC didn't click, its that Muay Thai is the shit for strikers. Get a divers license. I had no idea you were so young. Train hard , quit KF, and kick some ass.

Old 01-19-2003, 12:04 AM   #110
WingChun

Blue Belt

I'm working on it. I already have a car. Paid for it with my own college money (I'm going to the military, don't need the college money much.) When the weather gets a little better, I'll go for it.

But as far as quitting KF is concerned, I doubt I'll do that. I enjoy it too much.