Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
Dual

White Belt

vCash: 500
Icon4 Why I am against "USA" chants during UFC events

[If tl;dr then see cliffs at the end of the post]

I do not think that chants of "USA" during a UFC event make sense.

In order to form my opinion I tried to think about the basic nature of this phenomenon.
The audience came to see an event which is based on two individuals competing against each other.
It seems rational in this case to show support for your favorite by cheering him on.

By chanting "USA" during a UFC event, the audience is not cheering on an individual but a country. In this case the recipient of the cheer is a group of people whose charactestic is shared by one of the fighters. Thus the audience itself, more than the fighter, seems to be addressed by this cheer. Basically they are cheering rather for themselves then for one of the fighters. This seems to be ignorant in my eyes.

The argument might arise that most of the time the UFC is taking place in the US. So why shouldn't the audience show their national pride on such an occasion?
The essence of this argument would be that it is sensible for the host of an event to create a display of self-praise in front of their guests. I don't agree with this.
Instead pointing out to your guests that you support one of your friends when it comes to a competition (directing your cheers towards an US fighter) is very understandable.

I imagine that there are people who would argue that the fighters represent their countries, but this is not actually the case. From my viewpoint the fighters represent themselves as individuals. They were not chosen to represent their country.

People might argue that the fighter doesn't need to be a chosen representative to represent something. Using this logic it would make the same amount of sense for all men to chant "Go males!". There is much stuff to base your male pride on if you really want to.

There are however cases where chanting out the name of a country might be a sensible idea. In the FIFA World Cup you have teams with selected individuals. This selection of players is meant to represent their country of origin during the tournament. I find it logical to chant a country's name during such an event.

When A.C. Milan is playing against FC Bayern Munich, chants of "Italy" or "Germany" don't seem to make sense in my opinion as those teams are not competing representing a country but their sports club.

At the same time UFC fighters are not competing against each other because they have been selected to represent their country. They primarily represent themselves. So chants which are not directed at one of the two individuals don't make much sense in my opinion.

I am interested in why you are for or against "USA" chants. Please share your reasons.

When there is a flaw in my argumentation I would be happy if could point it out to me, so that I can see where I went wrong.

[CLIFFS]
Chanting "USA" is not cheering for an individual but a country. UFC fighters are not selected representatives of their countries. They represent themselves. Thus chanting "USA" you don't support a fighter. Any cheers that do not address one of the fighters do not make sense in my opinion.
[/CLIFFS]

Dual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Iceman_Fan09

Brown Belt

What about Brazil chanting "You will die" to non-Brazilian fighters?

I'm okay with the USA chants. It's similar to a hometown guy getting a big response from the fans. American fans are likely to chant USA during an American VS Non-American fight just to show some national pride. Though the fighter is not necessarily representing the country, the country will still support that fighter over the foreign opponent (most of the time).

Iceman_Fan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
hot carl

Red Belt

what if the fighter is an american?

Old 04-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
aleksv

except the japanese i think every crowd booed foreign fighters

Old 04-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Fenderson

Green Belt

It's arrogant. Jon jones arrogant.

Fenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
cannabody
Banned

Alot easier to shout USA then the fighter from the undercard

cannabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
MSP**
Banned

There is only 1 person to blame for this:

MSP** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
IAC

Silver Belt

I don't see a problem.

IAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
Fenderson

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP View Post
There is only 1 person to blame for this:

Josh barnett?

Fenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
Edgar Friendly
Taco Bell Heist Champion

I wish we had cool singing chants like in Brazil, or Sweden.

AV courtesy of Babaganoosh
Edgar Friendly is offline   Reply With Quote