Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
Branweb

vCash:
Why does boxing in MMA suck so bad?

I'm a life-long boxing fan and a MMA fan since about 2006. I just hate how a lot of you are strictly UFC fanboys who have no idea what striking is. You idiots think Dos Santos is a good boxer.

But fact is, he's not. His boxing sucks. As with almost everyone in the UFC -- their boxing abilitly is laughable. These guys stand straight up, no head movement, no angles, and no defense. And when they get hit, they have no chins. I know 16year old kids at my gym that have better boxing then 95% of the UFC's roster.

Take a look at the UFC's HW Champion, and the face of the UFC, Brock Lesnar. Brock Lesnar, the so called #1 HW in the world gets hit and turns his back and runs for his life(!) WTF!?!?!?! This guy is a champion!?!?!?

Why do you think these world class athletes suck at boxing so much? I mean, dude like Matt Hamil who've been training mma for like 5 years, there is NO REASON why his boxing sucks that much. Even Brock, training 2yrs, and others...

I just don't get it. Simple boxing ability would equal much more success for these dudes.. I mean look what BJ does with a simple jab!!! He uses a very basic boxing skill, shit that's taught on the first day of boxing training, and look at his success...

I just don't get it why MMA fighters suck so much at boxing .

Old 08-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
The Medievalist

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Well first of all you dont need to be a good boxer to be a good fighter. Anyone can figure out how to hit someone and often thats all you really need to do, especially for Brock and Hamill who are both wrestlers. Wrestling is about controlling your opponent, if they control their opponent against a cage or on the ground they can just swing for it, they dont need to be fancy and technical.

Also, MMA fighters dont have weak chins. the reason why so many get knocked out is because they are watching for so many things to come at them, not just punches, this leaves them a bit more susceptible since only about 20% of their focus is on striking, and of that, only half of it on hands.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
zeroryoko1974

Green Belt

I think we will find out in 2 weeks why it isn't necessary to be a great boxer to be a great fighter.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
SODACKER

Silver Belt

Boxing in mma looks a hell of alot different than normal boxing. If you take a boxers stance and movement into an mma fight you will get taken down immediatly or have you lead leg knocked outta the cage.

Boxing in mma is much much different that real boxing and if you don't see that you are an idiot.

"The harder I work the luckier I get" Ralph Engelstead
SODACKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
jmac98

MMA fighters aren't taught to box in a traditional sense, because they need to be aware of all attacks, not just punches. They have to prepare for kicks, takedowns, etc, and as such a traditional boxing approach isn't utilized. So if you are looking at MMA practitioners and trying to compare their form with that of a true boxer, you're wasting your time.

jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
Lethal_Striker

Silver Belt

Boxing and MMA Boxing aren't the same thing. If you come into MMA trying to box like professional boxers do then you'll get eaten alive by legkicks and taken down at will. More of an MMA stance to boxing is required to be successful. They are 2 different sports.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
Master Sword
Banned

boxing looks worse in mma because they have more to worry about.

It is easy to have good form when you know that all you have to worry about is your opponent's punches. But add kicks, take-downs, knees etc, then your boxing will not look as good.

but what do i know, i never trained a day in my life

Master Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
Reach4theSky
Positive Vibration

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medievalist View Post
Also, MMA fighters dont have weak chins. the reason why so many get knocked out is because they are watching for so many things to come at them, not just punches, this leaves them a bit more susceptible since only about 20% of their focus is on striking, and of that, only half of it on hands.
I'm sure the 4oz gloves don't help either...

.....That is all.
Reach4theSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #9
Vividsbricks23

Gold Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SODACKER View Post
Boxing in mma looks a hell of alot different than normal boxing. If you take a boxers stance and movement into an mma fight you will get taken down immediatly or have you lead leg knocked outta the cage.

Boxing in mma is much much different that real boxing and if you don't see that you are an idiot.
This...

The TS's first sentence says it all..he still doesn't get it. You may have great success in Boxing, but if you come to MMA, you will have to change your stance drastically..and it may not look as pretty as it did in the squared circle.

Vividsbricks23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
konagold

Purple Belt

some good responses....

also i think it's just a matter of time. there are only a certain number of hours in a day to train MMA. to train boxing for the amount of time required to become as proficient as you would like to see them would take away from all the time they need to dedicate towards wrestling/jj etc.

konagold is offline   Reply With Quote