Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
Zora*
Banned

vCash: 500
Icon4 WHOA! Luiz Cane issues warning to Thiago Silva + Wand

Luiz Cane Irked by Past History between Thiago Silva and Wanderlei Silva

| Jake Hattan | Denarosports.com | 9/26/08 |

Shortly after our coverage of Fight Night 15, we had the chance to sit down with Brazilian powerhouse and UFC Light Heavyweight, Luiz "Banha" Cane, along with his camp. Though Luiz Cane's UFC debut against James Irvin was controversial, Cane was certain that a victory would have been the outcome, in his favor. "If anybody saw that fight, I was clearly ahead. I was winning the exchanges on our feet and catching his every offense that I've trained for. I felt like he gave up and quit because of that... because I would beat him and he decided to take the easy way out." Six months later, Banha would face the tough veteran Jason Lambert, who was best known for his knockout win over Renato "Babalu" Sobral. Cane battered Lambert into a first round knockout and served notice to the division immediately. "It felt like a moral victory more than anything. I felt like that is how I should have beat James (Irvin) and felt good to have fought the fight that I've trained real hard for. I have a lot of respect for Jason (Lambert) and I even told him that. I don't think he understood me, because I spoke to him in Portuguese", he said with a laugh.

A month later, Banha's camp was offered a fight with top ranked Rameau Sokoudjou, in an intriguing clash. Luiz Cane was quick to give the African Assassin respect. "He is a great fighter. Me and my family were watching his pride fights and we were just so quiet when he knocked out Minotoro (Antonio Rogerio Nogueira) and Ricardo (Arona). That was the last thing we expected. He is a top fighter, for sure, but I know many of his weaknesses that I'm going to expose and I'm going to stand with him and knock him out."

Though, Cane seems focused and ready for Sokoudjou, he seemed more focused on old foes and comfortable to speak to us about them. "Of course. I'll fight anybody that the UFC puts in front of me. It doesen't matter to me if it is another Brazilian. This is a sport where we must fight to see who is the toughest. But I'm going to keep winning until I'm recognized enough to ask for a fight against Thiago Silva. We were supposed to fight in the Fury FC but it didn't work out because of injury problems he had and management problems." Banha wasn't hesitant to say that there is plently of bad blood between him and both Thiago Silva and Wanderlei Silva, as well. "Back when Thiago Silva won the Fury FC title, Wanderlei Silva was in his corner. And in his post comments, he has said many negative things about me and said that I was ducking him. Wanderlei Silva also made a comment about me ducking him (Thiago). Ever since then, I lost my admiration for Chute Box. Me and my family and friends worked real hard. I had to deal with a lot of my friends and family passing away. Now that I'm in the UFC, I will make them proud."

When asked Cane when he sees a fight with Thiago taking place, Cane was more hopeful rather than making predictions. "I wish it could be tomorrow", he said with a laugh. "But Thiago is a great fighter. He proved himself in the UFC. I still have to do that. Now that I get to fight in England in a month and on the main card, I will take full advantage of that and dominate Sokoudjou. Then I'll keep training hard and winning until I get a fight with Thiago Silva. I hope to fight both Thiago and Wanderlei because I know that I could beat both of them and show them I don't duck anyone. I'm going to make so much noise in the UFC and in this sport, that everyone will know who Banha is. I refuse to go unrecognized any longer."

Zora* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
CrankJohnson

Purple Belt

Why don't you either highlight the threat portion or just delete everything else??

Sherdog users won't read more than 3 sentences because it takes too much effort.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
jrd8523

Purple Belt

Good read, thanks.

Cane is an intense dude, and there is no doubt that he impressive skills.

Damn, anyone else think Soko Vs. Cane will easily be the best fight on the card? Both of those guys are pretty intense and both get after it.

jrd8523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
potato*
Banned

good read, ts. thanks. i knew that Cane and Thiago had bad blood before. i hope they get to fight. that'll be one helluva fight!

potato* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
Chaosmaker_BR

Brown Belt

Banha is a nice dude. He is a great striker. Will make some good fights in the LHW division. IMO, I think he will KO Sokoudjou...

I didn't know there is animoisty between Wand, thiago and him... that's bad.

Machida - Shogun - Minotauro - Wanderlei - Babalu - Arona - Fedor - Cane - Belfort - Feijăo - Carwin - Cro Cop - GSP - Dan Henderson
Chaosmaker_BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
DSHO

Black Belt

Good read. I would like to see him fight both Thiago and Wand. See if he can back it up, i know Wandy and Thiago wont turn that fight down.

On board the WANDWAGON!!

WAND
BJ Penn
Joachim Hansen
Dan Hardy
DSHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
youdamnright

Blue Belt

I'd like to see him tell Wand that to his face!

Old 09-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
Space
Less, but better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankJohnson View Post
Why don't you either highlight the threat portion or just delete everything else??

Sherdog users won't read more than 3 sentences because it takes too much effort.
TL/DR OMG LOL!

Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:55 PM   #9
Michael Davis
Professional Fighter

good read thanks, he at least called them out in a very respectable way, props to him.

"I was stopped afterward, but even if I hadn't been, continuing to break it more would have been fine by me.”
Shinya F***ing Aoki
Michael Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:55 PM   #10
Gahd
Banned

right on..thanks for the post

Gahd is offline   Reply With Quote