Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
m25105

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Wandy, Fedor or Minotauro, who had the greatest legacy in Pride?

After the spectacular performance by Wandy (and hats off to Stann for standing, trading and being respectful after the loss, I can't stress that enough that despite rooting for Wand that my opinion of Stann improved immensely) and the crowd reception of Wanderlei, I'm wondering as of right now who had the biggest legacy in Pride?

Fedor fought and defeated great fighters such as Herring, Schilt, Coleman, Fujita, Nogueira twice and Cro Cop. I'm not afraid to admit that there were fights that should've happened, but considering the circumstances you can't really lay the blame on anyone. Nogueira and Cro Cop pretty much kept the contenders down by defeating them and at other times sometimes fights were declined against Fedor.

Nogueira is pretty much immortalised in MMA with his victory over Bob Sapp after he was manhandled for an entire round (to those unaware, the first round in Pride was 10 minutes), debuting the Anaconda choke, defeating great fighters such as Cro Cop, Herring, Barnett, Kharitonov, Schilt, Coleman and Dan Henderson. In fact despite losing against Fedor twice I'd say his resume is better in fighters who he beat (Which kinda makes Fedor beating Nogueira all the more awesome).

Then you got Wandy, the man who ruled Pride's middleweight (light heavyweight) division with incredible fights against Rampage twice, Mezger, Sakuraba three times, Yoshida twice, Dan Henderson, Fujita, Cro Cop, Nakamura, Kondo and Mark Hunt. Everytime the fighters got introduced during the Pride Wanderlei would always get the biggest pop from the crowd (only Sakuraba got more love, cause he's Sakuraba and that's reason enough).

Looking back now, I think Wanderlei had the biggest legacy in Pride followed close by Nogueira with Fedor at third. Now before I get assaulted by Fedor supporters "He was undefeated in Pride", yes I know that. But because of the circumstances he couldn't compete against the other big names among the heavyweight. We all know we would've have loved to see Fedor against Kharitonov, a rematch with Cro Cop and a bout against Barnett. I think this is why I couldn't place him as number one.

Thanks in advance to those that took the time to read.

Last edited by m25105; 03-20-2013 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling errors, grammar and included a link.
m25105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
DarkKnight81
Macho Belt

1. Fedor
2. Wand
3. Crocop

DarkKnight81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
VorTeX Raptor

Brown Belt

From that list

Fedor
Wand
Big Nog

WW: Maia, Diaz
MW: Wand, Belfort
LHW: Machida, Rampage
HW: JDS, Nog, CC, Werdum, Nelson
VorTeX Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Hanri
Fedor

1. Fedor
2. Nog
3. Shogun

imo

Old 03-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
istay

Purple Belt

Fedor
Nog
Wand

istay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
bjpenngoat

Brown Belt

i think crocop has a stronger legacy in Pride just due to his spectacular finishes and the absolute FEAR opponents had before the fights even began. Nog did beat him and had a fantastic run and its very close, but man crocop was so mysterious and deadly. He captured peoples imaginations much more so than Nog did. Crocop was never in any trouble in any fight save for the randleman ko and Fedor. even in the Nog loss he was beating the piss out of him till he was caught.

bjpenngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
Idonotbelieveit
Banned

what others have said..

fedor
wand
nog

Idonotbelieveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
Riodejaneirofan

Blue Belt

Nog
Wand
Shogun
Fedor

Old 03-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
Groundmaster
Banned

Wand
Fedor
Nog

Fedor came a bit to late to compare with Wand in Prides heyday and to early for Nog to do so.

Groundmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
BuffaloEmperor

Brown Belt

i think you have to say 1.) fedor 2.) wanderlei 3.) big nog.
i say fedor first b/c he was undefeated and the way he defeated everyone left to room to even question who was the most dominate Pride Champ. as for saying fedor didn't fight everyone and what not. i dont agree i think the only fight fedor really missed out on in pride was the barnett fight. but they gave barnett a chance to fight fedor ,but josh claimed he wasn't in "the best shape" for the fedor fight, but ended up fighting on the same card as fedor.
wanderlei is #2 mostly because he was undefeated for 5 years and beat everyone except mark hunt(heavyweight) , cro cop(heavyweight), and hendo(freak).
big nog #3 primary b/c he lost to fedor twice and was the first pride fc heavyweight champ ,but wasn't greater than fedor.

BuffaloEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote