Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
Greyskull

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Wanderlei Silva Interview (Translated by a Human Being) :D

LOL! Anyway, I posted this translation in another thread, but since it wasn't on the first page, I think many people will miss it. Sorry about possible mistakes. So here it is:

Q: Wanderlei, what was the main reason for your defeat?

A: I couldn't really hit him, Mirko was more accurate, was trading it well. It really was his night.

Q: Do you think that, as middleweight, going to the HW division had any influence on the result of the fight?

A: Sure, that saying is true, that it's harder to fight someone that is "ajusted" to his weight. The reach is a very important factor. But this isn't an excuse, he beat me because he was better.

Q: When you were on the mat, what did you think?

A: Many things, actually when the referee stopped the fight for the first time I was 'dazed' because his punch hit me on the eye, it was a very precise blow. That blow defeated me. I was thinking that I had to continue, I couldn't stop, I had to see how far I could go.

Q: And what made you continue?

A: I had to overcome my limits, I managed to get up and think that I could win. Actually I was suprised, I managed to push my limits just a bit further.

Q: Did you "break" anything during the fight?

No, just swalling from the punches and a little cut in my head. I use to say that I'm a "blockhead" (stubborn), everytime I get hit on the head, I get smarter.

Q: What about a rematch?

A: Sure, I fought him four years ago, it can happen four years from now, I don't know, but I'm sure this story doesn't end here.

Q: Losing to Mirko CroCop had the same feeling as losing to Arona?

A: Of course not. It's different. Against Arona I didn't do anything... I felt emprty because I didn't show anything I trained, now eiht Mirko was different, I traded punches with him.

Q: Would you still fight in the HW division?

A: It depends. I don't run away from nobody, but it's Pride that organize the fights, so, depending on the deal, why not?

Q: A possible fight with Belfort.

Well, I would fight him. But it's Pride that decides this, everybody knows that I fight anyone and I don't choose my opponents.

Q: When will you fight again?

A: Maybe in November against Chuck Liddell, and I'm expecting to fight in December too. But without a doubt, I'll give my best.

Q: What are your plans now?

A: Travel with my family. I'll rest, go to the beach, and recover from the injuries. I'll dedicate myself to my son and my wife.

Q: Shogun. What did you think about his return to Pride?

A: He used the perfect tactic, he's improving every day and the folks have to pay attention because Shougn is in the house!

Q: Wanderlei Silva still keeps fighting?

Of course, I don't want to retire so soon. I use to say that I'm in the middle of my career and I want to keep fighting for many years.

Q: A message to your fans.

A: I'd like to thank all my fans. It's because of you that I take any challenge, I gave my best and because of that I wasn't so sad about the result of this fight. In life we have hard situations to overcome, but we have to acept it, and that's why I'll train harder.

Also, I'd like to leave a special message to the people that wrote inumerous messages on my website, supporting me, cheering for me. I'd like to tell them that it's in the difficult moments that we see the true friends, I'd like to meet these people in person.

Stay with God and it's on defeat that we learn to deal with the most difficult situations.

---------------

EDIT: Okay peeps, I think Donkey Kong did a better job translating the interview, so here's his version:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKong
Silva speaks in an interview

Check out this super interview with Mr.PRide

Wanderlei, what was the main fator in your defeat against Mirko CroCop?

I think that I wasn't able to land good blows. Mirko's punch was more precise, he was hitting well. It really was his night.

Do you think the fact you are a LHW going to HW influenced the result in any way?

Of course, the saying is true, fighting someone bigger who is used to the weight is much harder. Reach counts for a lot. But that is no excuse, he beat me because he was better.

At the moment you were down on the ground, what went though your head?

Many things, as a matter of fact when the ref stopped the fight for the first time I was stunned because the knockdown he caught me with hit me directly in the eye, it didnt scrape, it was right on. That blow defeated me. I just thought of going on, couldn't stop, wanted to see how far I could go.

What made you go on?

Overcoming myself, I think. I had to overcome myself, i managed to get up and think I could still win. I was even surprised, I overcame myself a little more.

Did you sustain any fractures during the match?

No, only swelling in the eyes and a minor cut to the heat which dropped me. I use to say I'm pretty hardheaded, each time I take a blow to the head I get smarter.

Are you considering a rematch?

Definitely, I haved him four years ago, it can be four years from now, I don't know, but I'm sure our story does not end here.

Losing to CroCop made you feel the same way as losing to Arona. Did you feel the same way?
(Editor's note: odd way to phrase a question)

No way. It's different. Against Arona I did nothing... I felt empty because I hadn't shown anything I'd done in practice, but against Mirko we duked it out.

Would you go on fighting on HW?

It depends on the challenge. I run from nobody, but it is PRIDE who matches the fights and offers us deals so, depending on what we arrange, why not?

People are talking about a possible fight against Belfort?

I would fight him. But that is for PRIDE to decide, everybody knows I'll take on anybody and I don't choose opponents.

When do you fight again?

Maybe in november against Chuck Liddel, we are still expecting that and in December on NYE. But for sure, regardless of the fight I will give my best.

What are Silva's plans now?

I will travel with my family. I will recover, get some sun, I want to heal 100%. I will give plenty of attention to my wife and son.

Shogun. What do you think of his return to PRIDE?

He made the perfect tactics, he's been growing every day and people have to keep their eyes open cause Shogun is a comer.

Is Wanderlei Silva still at it 100%?

Of course, I don't intend to quit anytime soon. I usually say I'm halfway through my career and intend to stay in the ring for many years.

A message to Wanderlei Silva fans.

I would like to thank all my fans. It is for you that I will take any challenge. I tried my best and that is why I was not sad with the result of this fight. In life we come across difficult situations, but we have to accept them so I will train even harder.

I would also like to leave a special message to the people who left countless messages on my site supporting me and praising me. I would like to tell them that it is during hard times that we see our true friends, I would honestly like to meet all these people in person.

Stay with God and it is in defeat that we learn to deal with the hardest situations.

---

there you go

Last edited by Greyskull; 09-15-2006 at 05:46 PM.
Greyskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:08 PM   #2
fscottbaio

Brown Belt

Good guy, I don't care what tactics he does to hype himself up for a fight, when all is said and done, he's got a good heart and head.

Glad to see him give Mirko his due props, and good to see him seemingly in good spirits.

fscottbaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
The Mountain

Blue Belt

Many thanks, Wandy is the man. That punch defeated him, yea we all saw that. But Wandy being the warrior that he is, trying to push on and exceed his limits I think he can only learn and improve from that Mirko fight.

WARRR WANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
tsazmand**
Banned

thanks!

tsazmand** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:10 PM   #5
IMAMEX

Orange Belt

nicely done man. Good read.

IMAMEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:10 PM   #6
KRUSH

vCash:
outstanding job!

thanx.

wook out cwo cwop

Old 09-15-2006, 05:14 PM   #7
Crimson Tiger

Green Belt

Great. I have more respect for Wandy now. Definitely a Warrior.

"When you fear your enemy, he fears you too. For his is a mere man, not a God." - Mas Oyama
Crimson Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:18 PM   #8
lethrdonut

Blue Belt

Wow, I didn't expect to ever see Silva give such an honest and humble interview about why he lost to CroCop. This really raises my opinion of him up some more.

lethrdonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:18 PM   #9
KurtDC

Yellow Belt

A good read. Thanks much for the translation. It sure beats Google!

KurtDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:27 PM   #10
Sub Evil
Senior Sherdog Nonmod

haha... he knows that fight should have been stopped, and he kept begging to fight. Wandy, you so crazy! I love it