Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
mmafan988
$200 Belt

vCash: 500
UFC Has not reached 1 million PPVs since 2010

source up front: http://mmapayout.com/blue-book/pay-per-view/

UFC or Dana White, however you want to view it, has failed to grow UFC or mma in years. I think the UFC loss of big stars like Liddell, BJ Penn, Matt Hughes, Lesnar, even Kimbo Slice, has hurt the hype of mma (UFC). Dana White has tried a few new things such as adding new weight classes and female division but it hasn't really helped much. I think something total new has to be done to help it grow. Either something totally new and innovative or find more big stars.

I've been saying this for well over a year now, but getting someone like Tim Tebow would be Dana White's best option. Tebow is only making $650,000/yr in the NFL now, being a 3rd string qb. He is known to show interest in the mma world http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tim-teb...0687--nfl.html. I'm not saying it has to be Tebow but that is an example of what the UFC needs to grow. At least 2-3 big name stars....new Coutures, Liddells, Lesnars, Slices, Hughes, Royce Gracies, etc...

Either way you can't argue the facts that the UFC has been on a decline or non-growing path for the last 3 years or so.

mmafan988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
akutz1
Panch>>>>>>Akutz

Non growing?
Arent they doing several million on Fox Saturday nights?
Dont they have several new shows and damn near their own network in Fuel/FoxSports 1?
Thats decline?
Tough crowd

Old 06-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
NosLliWhsoj

Orange Belt

Sure. Get Tebow.
Also, add Tag team matches, right?

Or, according to everyone else, just put Chael on every PPV. I hear he's a top PPV seller,

NosLliWhsoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
mccallievols

Gold Belt

sadly, tebow in a ufc fight would threaten the ppv record.

casual fans love a freakshow

Old 06-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Emjay
... this is bad comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmafan988 View Post
Either way you can't argue the facts that the UFC has been on a decline or non-growing path for the last 3 years or so.
Ok and what are we supposed to do with these "facts"?

Should we stop watching because we're only one of 800,000 instead of one of 1000,000 that's watching a PPV?

I never understood the reason for the need for people to point this shit out

Problem isnt "weak cards". Problem is the sense of entitlement to always be delivered the greatest thing ever all the time
Emjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
Jballer

Brown Belt

Michael Mcdonald is sort of like Tim Tebow

Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
A84

Green Belt

Well its pretty obvious that UFC is on the decline. It isn't as popular as it once was. PPV buys are down.

A84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
RiotWyatt

Orange Belt

vCash: 463
UFC is doing fine. They just shifted their focus a bit from almost strictly PPV to network TV. Halfway through the year and we've already seen almost as many events as there were in all of 2010.

RiotWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
mmafan988
$200 Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by akutz1 View Post
Non growing?
Arent they doing several million on Fox Saturday nights?
Dont they have several new shows and damn near their own network in Fuel/FoxSports 1?
Thats decline?
Tough crowd
They've always had free fight cards except they were on Spike. I actually preferred them being on Spike vs. Fuel. Lots of cablel carriers dont even offer Fuel TV.

I also didn't even mention the low ratings of TUF as well. If it wasn't for the new weight classes and female division numbers would probably be even lower.

MMA is always evolving, that's the hardest thing about it. Other major sports rarely evolve. But I think by having bigger names, UFC can get back on the rise. It sucks to be in White's shoes now though, all his boys are gone.

mmafan988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
Mikedh

Red Belt

They did more last year than 2011 and similar numbers to 2008 (though obviously with a lower average).

They will eventually have to move away from PPV, it is a contracting buisness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmafan988 View Post
They've always had free fight cards except they were on Spike. I actually preferred them being on Spike vs. Fuel. Lots of cablel carriers dont even offer Fuel TV.

I also didn't even mention the low ratings of TUF as well. If it wasn't for the new weight classes and female division numbers would probably be even lower.

MMA is always evolving, that's the hardest thing about it. Other major sports rarely evolve. But I think by having bigger names, UFC can get back on the rise. It sucks to be in White's shoes now though, all his boys are gone.
Except the free cards since the FOX deal blow the Spike fight nights out of the water.

Mikedh is offline   Reply With Quote