Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #191
NoBiasJustMMA

Silver Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaunman24 View Post
What rankings are you looking at? And having two losses in short order against Rashad and Lyoto will keep him from getting a title shot before Jones does. If he is able to beat Rampage, then he could find himself in a #1 contender fight.

If Jones beats Bader, he would probably get that title fight.
Okay, I was wrong on the ranking, he is right behind Jones in the rankings, though I disagree with this, Jones has never fought a top 10 opponent and Thiago has fought 3. I rank him higher because we can see where he stands against top 10 opponents. I have Thiago at 7 and Jones at 8.

My rankings are closest to mmaweekly's for LHW
LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION (205-pound limit) | MMAWeekly.com
Just swap around Jones for Thiago, and I am not sure if Randy should be number 10 or Rafael Cavalcante.

NoBiasJustMMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #192
MarkyMcFly

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKidd View Post
I don't. Thiago whined about his back and whatever, but that was also Rashad's first fight after losing and getting KTFO for the first time, and he fought a very safe fight, but he was already mixing the striking in more against Rampage and I think he would KO Silva in a rematch
I agree with you, i'm not sure if Thiago could beat Rashad as easy as he's making it out to be. However, I have still yet to see him mix his striking up more. Other than the first big hook to start the fight, most of Evans stand up was quick back hand jabs and straights, while bouncing in and out. No real getting it in, so to speak. However, that might've had more to do with who he was fighting, and not that he was timid still after the Lyoto fight.

I don't like Rashad, at all, just to be clear. I don't like Shogun either (deductive reasoning might tell you who i DO like lol) but i'm real interested in seeing what his strategy is for Shogun. I don't think he wants to stand and bang, but I feel he's quicker with his hand strikes and body movement than Shogun is (and that's saying a lot) but I think Shogun is the more technical, accurate, well-rounded striker...and may be better everywhere except straight up wrestling, and the afore mentioned hand speed.

MarkyMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #193
WANDY187

Green Belt

Quote:
That's a nice little hypathetical there, but even then Thiago's best win would still not be any better than Jones.
Jardine was ranked when he got KO'ed by Silva. So at least Silva did beat a ranked fighter while Jones has never faced one.

WANDY187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #194
MarkyMcFly

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelmonfils View Post
is there any word in english that directly translates? or is this a term that is just lost in translation?
I know, In Spanish culture anyways, calling someone a "jerk" or "stupid" is something thats way more offensive in their culture than ours.

MarkyMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #195
NoBiasJustMMA

Silver Belt

Quote:
I don't. Thiago whined about his back and whatever, but that was also Rashad's first fight after losing and getting KTFO for the first time, and he fought a very safe fight, but he was already mixing the striking in more against Rampage and I think he would KO Silva in a rematch
Are you saying that being afraid of being KOed is a more legitimate excuse then a back injury that requires surgery? I think he might have been fighting a safe fight because of being KTFO but I think a real injury would hamper you more. He was getting up over and over again and Rashad couldn't hold him down when he had a bad back I don't see him doing better when Thiago is healthy.

NoBiasJustMMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #196
LilMountain
Arsenal til I die

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackacid00 View Post
yeah but the fight against rashad was still competitive and with thiago at a significant disadvantage- as a black belt in bjj who wasnt able to grapple because of back problems. and didnt thiago ko jaradine in prime?
As I mentioned before it was also Rashad's first fight after losing and getting KTFO for the first time, which is a pretty big mental hurdle to overcome in of itself.

As for Jardine, he's so inconsistent it's hard to judge his 'prime', but Thiago was the second of a five fight losing streak, so I dont think that was his prime.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #197
nonamenoface

White Belt

Pretty big jones fan, but not a fan of his choir-boy personality. Dude you break people's faces for a living... Oh yeah, and Jesus didn't snitch

nonamenoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #198
LilMountain
Arsenal til I die

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBiasJustMMA View Post
Are you saying that being afraid of being KOed is a more legitimate excuse then a back injury that requires surgery? I think he might have been fighting a safe fight because of being KTFO but I think a real injury would hamper you more. He was getting up over and over again and Rashad couldn't hold him down when he had a bad back I don't see him doing better when Thiago is healthy.
It affects a person gameplan, look at GSP after getting KO'd by Serra, wrestling with Koscheck despite a clear advantage in the standup (as shown in the second fight)

Old 01-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #199
WANDY187

Green Belt

Quote:
As I mentioned before it was also Rashad's first fight after losing and getting KTFO for the first time, which is a pretty big mental hurdle to overcome in of itself.

As for Jardine, he's so inconsistent it's hard to judge his 'prime', but Thiago was the second of a five fight losing streak, so I dont think that was his prime.
You will really say anything to not give Thiago any props, eh? Rashad gets a pass because he was Ko'ed his previous fight when it was the same guy who KO'ed them both and ended both their perfect records. I guess the difference was Thiago came back with a brutal KO that might have actually cause the losing streak as I do remember Jardines legged twitching and a ton of concern.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #200
WANDY187

Green Belt

Quote:
It affects a person gameplan, look at GSP after getting KO'd by Serra, wrestling with Koscheck despite a clear advantage in the standup (as shown in the second fight)
You mean the second fight after he trained with Freddie Roach?