Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #391
Babaganoosh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Haughn View Post
i'm definitely not trying to argue whether it is or isn't, all i'm saying is you can't be sure from this gif. think about it in terms of an nfl review.

You are right and you don't actually see it. I'd like to see this from a different angle.

Babaganoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #392
Brother Numsi

Blue Belt

Look at these Sonnen fans. Trying to grasp at anything they can get their loser hands on. If the rule calls it a knockdown, that's fine with me. Me personally, I think he got tagged really well and lost his balance but was never knocked down. Sonnen fans/Silva haters are acting like Al Bundy with his four touchdowns in a game in high school talk. Chael lost. He fought great, hell better than anyone Silva has faced, but he lost. If SIlva getting knocked down gives you a hard on, then whatever gets you off. I'm done.

Brother Numsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #393
heatbag

Purple Belt

TS you are dumb. Case in point is a recently posted gif of W. Silva vs Bisping in which Bisping is rocked. Bisping is in the process of going down as Wand is about to kick Bisping in the head. Bisping smartly puts a HAND(or both) on the mat. Wand stops himself from kicking Bisping because it is illegal to headkick a DOWNED opponent. IF Sonnen had put a massive knee to AS as he put the hand down would you not say he hit a downed opponent?

heatbag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #394
JMMonday

Yellow Belt

- UFC 117: LIVE RESULTS AND PLAY-BY-PLAY | MMAWeekly.com

(Sonnen fires off a punch and drops Silva, who gets right back up)

Since it is all a matter of opinion. I thank I would go with this one
since it is their job.

JMMonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #395
LilMountain
Arsenal til I die

vCash: 29932
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMonday View Post

since it is their job.
Do you extend the same benefit of the doubt to the judges?

Old 01-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #396
JMMonday

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKidd View Post
Do you extend the same benefit of the doubt to the judges?
over people on here HE** yes

JMMonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #397
Demonix***
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sams0n View Post
That's my point, they all refer to boxing in the references, yet you keep stating that this rule applies to all contact sports including MMA. It doesn't, so you can't just pretend it does. Like I've said earlier it's totally up in the air, not a case closed here's the facts argument like you want it to be.

I mean this is a ridiculous and meaningless argument, but I'm not going to accept that boxing rule to define what a knockdown means in or outside of MMA. Even web definitions for knockdown most of the time use the word itself to define it. Except for some which state: "a blow that knocks the opponent off his feet".

Knockdown - Define Knockdown at WordIQ Online Dictionary

The only thing that mentions a hand being involved is a boxing rule. I'm defining it by how I understand the basic English definition. It's not a big deal that you don't agree, but what bothers me is your claim it's clearly defined in MMA because of your Wikipedia/boxing article.
Your right, what we need to do is redifine every term for MMA regardless of how it is definied in other contact sports...

"A glove is no longer to be called a glove in MMA...I think, that is my personal opinion that a glove is something that covers your fingers..."

That is how stupid this arguement is to me.

option A:

We either go with a nice clear cut definition of a knockdown based off of a website that talks about kickboxing, boxing, and mixed martial arts...

or...

option B:

we can all come up with our own definition because we don't like that definition, and it shouldn't apply to MMA.

"Silva wasn't knocked down, it was clear a half stumble/trip/fall...and he clearly was ok the entire time..."

Demonix*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #398
kflo

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMonday View Post

since it is their job.
he didn't get right back up. he was instantaneously up (because he was never down ).

kflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #399
kflo

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonix View Post
Your right, what we need to do is redifine every term for MMA regardless of how it is definied in other contact sports...

"A glove is no longer to be called a glove in MMA...I think, that is my personal opinion that a glove is something that covers your fingers..."

That is how stupid this arguement is to me.

option A:

We either go with a nice clear cut definition of a knockdown based off of a website that talks about kickboxing, boxing, and mixed martial arts...

or...

option B:

we can all come up with our own definition because we don't like that definition, and it shouldn't apply to MMA.

"Silva wasn't knocked down, it was clear a half stumble/trip/fall...and he clearly was ok the entire time..."

is a football ball carrier knocked down when their hand touches the ground?

mma is not boxing. it has different rules. not sure if you're aware. someone editing a wiki article referencing boxing rules doesn't mean it applies to mma.

then again, meaningless distinction is meaningless.

kflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #400
Zaphod Beeblebrox
On break from Sherdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKidd View Post
How convenient, but the fact remains that anyone unless it cites a credible source it carries no more weight than any of our posts, anyone no matter how well intentioned, or ignorant of the sport could have put that there. Find me a REAL source. If you're right, it shouldn't be that hard.
You seem to be under the impression that I'm arguing against your position on the topic of the thread. I'm not. There is no "if I'm right" about it. I'm simply making a statement on using Wikipedia as a source in a forum discussion. As long as the Wikipedia article cites sources that are peer reviewed and/or credible, and as long as it wasn't suspiciously edited at a convenient time, there is nothing wrong with citing it in a forum discussion.

I do believe it's irrelevant to use an article that cites boxing sources, however, and that's whether it's Wikipedia or not. I'm with you on that.