Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #161
GracieBJJallDay**
Banned

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by killa12356 View Post
No catchweight. Why should Anderson have to cut down to fight GSP or Shogun cut down to face Silva. Its GSP choice to challenge for the MW crown and same for Anderson if he wanted to challenge for Shoguns crown.
Yep indeed.

There is only one difference in the comparison though.

GSP isn't being FORCED to give up his WW accolades if he fights for the MW strap.

Anderson has been given a "special rule" by Dana that he must make a permanent move to LHW.

GSP is making the CHOICE that he will move up permanently, not being forced.

GracieBJJallDay** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #162
GracieBJJallDay**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed for me View Post
I'm not saying he couldn't attempt it, but I think it would take it's toll on his body changing a weight class every other fight, until he had his last two WW title defense he wanted. Good for Penn if had been willing to try and defend both belts simultaneously but I don't think it would have worked out for him either. If GSP has to go back and forth between the weight classes I doubt he's going to be able to maintain the correct body composition, muscle mass, that he'd want for either division which could hurt his performances.
Well my point was this:

If he is able to beat Anderson, the greatest MW ever, with his current size (a size that he DOES get to WW with), then he won't have to change anything between WW and MW. He can just be a small MW, who is still capable of beating the greatest MW ever.

GracieBJJallDay** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #163
Nate17

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuePee View Post
Why is not EVERYONE screaming for Anderson to compromise???

Anderson over the years has shown boredom and near contempt for the MW division. It seemed like he might actually walk away from MMA at one point as he was speculating about doing anything but fighting at MW in the UFC.

When you look at GSP, Shogun and Anderson the two most exciting fights for Andersons future and the fans would be against Shogun and GSp.

Anderson is the only one of the three nearing his retirement. Anderson is the only one of the 3 who has already cemented his legacy in his division as GOAT and therefore has nothing more to prove in his division. Anderson is the only one of the 3 who has shown boredom and contempt for his division.

If Anderson was to offer 2 catchweights fights, one to GSp (182lbs) and one to Shogun (202lbs) I think both those fights would be made instantly. We already know Shogun would take it. he has brought it up a few times. This would remove GSP's biggest objection about a perminant move to MW, and so make this fight much more likely as well.

But Anderson has drawn a hard line in the sand. He won't accomodate any compromise to make the fights happen and only if they earn it by contending in his division at MW will he fight them.

Why are you fans not outraged by that?

EDIT : Graciebjj is trolling in this thread and I am asking people not to reply to him at all. Thx in advance.

Nate17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #164
Bleed for me

Green Belt

vCash: 1554
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieBJJallDay View Post
Well my point was this:

If he is able to beat Anderson, the greatest MW ever, with his current size (a size that he DOES get to WW with), then he won't have to change anything between WW and MW. He can just be a small MW, who is still capable of beating the greatest MW ever.
I see what you're saying, but I don't think that just because GSP could beat Anderson at MW he could beat everyone else in the division. The main reason I give GSP a chance in a fight with Anderson at MW is because of the stylistic matchup which should negate to an extant the size difference.

Stylistically guys like Okami and Chael are much tougher match ups for GSP at MW IMO. The only way I see GSP being able to beat these guys at MW is by fully committing to the weight class and putting on all the mass he could for that division, but it would be hard for GSP to do that if he knew after fighting one of those guys at MW he had to make the cut again to WW, it would limit the muscle mass he could put on. Trying this kind of thing would likely put unnecessary losses on GSP's record which I'm sure he wouldn't want.

Please keep your stupid political opinions confined to the war room.
Bleed for me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #165
Grymreefer
Banned

Quote:
Why is not EVERYONE screaming for Anderson to compromise???

Anderson over the years has shown boredom and near contempt for the MW division. It seemed like he might actually walk away from MMA at one point as he was speculating about doing anything but fighting at MW in the UFC.

When you look at GSP, Shogun and Anderson the two most exciting fights for Andersons future and the fans would be against Shogun and GSp.

Anderson is the only one of the three nearing his retirement. Anderson is the only one of the 3 who has already cemented his legacy in his division as GOAT and therefore has nothing more to prove in his division. Anderson is the only one of the 3 who has shown boredom and contempt for his division.

If Anderson was to offer 2 catchweights fights, one to GSp (182lbs) and one to Shogun (202lbs) I think both those fights would be made instantly. We already know Shogun would take it. he has brought it up a few times. This would remove GSP's biggest objection about a perminant move to MW, and so make this fight much more likely as well.

But Anderson has drawn a hard line in the sand. He won't accomodate any compromise to make the fights happen and only if they earn it by contending in his division at MW will he fight them.

Why are you fans not outraged by that?

EDIT : Graciebjj is trolling in this thread and I am asking people not to reply to him at all. Thx in advance.
Are you serious HE FIGHTS AT LHW AND WOULD FIGHT AT LHW FOR THE BELT not a fucking catch weight fight and GSP should fucking move up if he wants to challenge Silva and that's the way it is in my eyes anyways.

GSP DOESN:T FINISH FIGHTS
ANDERSON FINISHES FIGHTS
GSP FIGHTS AT WW ONLY
ANDERSON FIGHTS AT MW AND LHW and Hinted around to even fighting at HW so what the fuck kind of drugs are you on.

GSP will get sonned by Anderson Silva if they ever fight. GSP will eventually have no choice but to do it and that will be here soon enough.

Anderson Silva is Undefeated in the Ufc
GSP Is not

GSP is a great fighter at playing it safe and he is very dominating because he doesn't lose and when he does lose it's usely by way of TKO OR SUB

Anderson has beat every one put infront of him, MW's and LHW's former champs from Pride and done so with relative ease.

Both are the most dominating fighters of out time besides Fedor but to act as if Anderson has something to prove to you is fucking joke.

Grymreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #166
jameswolfe
Satanic Metal Belt

Quote:
I think that is exactly what he should do to 'earn' his MW shot.

but there are problems with that which then make a fight improbable.

- Anderson is getting old
- GSp still has at least one and maybe 3 ww fights left if he wants Hughes record.

A catchweight fight gets around all the problems.
Maybe. The thing is GSP wants the fight at 170......not catchweight. There is nothing to suggest that GSP will accept a catchweight fight. This is only your suggestion.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #167
mccallievols

Gold Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswolfe View Post
Maybe. The thing is GSP wants the fight at 170......not catchweight. There is nothing to suggest that GSP will accept a catchweight fight. This is only your suggestion.
it would be very uncompromising of GSP to not accept a catchweight.

no freaking way anderson makes 170 these days.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #168
CuePee**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed for me View Post
I see what you're saying, but I don't think that just because GSP could beat Anderson at MW he could beat everyone else in the division. The main reason I give GSP a chance in a fight with Anderson at MW is because of the stylistic matchup which should negate to an extant the size difference.

Stylistically guys like Okami and Chael are much tougher match ups for GSP at MW IMO. The only way I see GSP being able to beat these guys at MW is by fully committing to the weight class and putting on all the mass he could for that division, but it would be hard for GSP to do that if he knew after fighting one of those guys at MW he had to make the cut again to WW, it would limit the muscle mass he could put on. Trying this kind of thing would likely put unnecessary losses on GSP's record which I'm sure he wouldn't want.
Agreed.

Stylistically Couture saw that he could matchup against Tim Sylvia well and win the HW title. That does not mean that he would have beat the 3-4 top HW's that most others contenders would have had to, to earn his title shot.

stylisticall BJ Penn matches up against Hughes well. that does not mean he would have been able to put together the3-4 wins against top WW contenders to earn the shot as any other WW contender had to.

Stylistically GSP matches up against Anderson better then the other top contenders at MW. The path to successfully beating Anderson is not the same path he would likely use against Sonnen or Okami.

When it comes to parachute Title shots you hear many argue that because the guy won his shot that proves it was justified. I could not disagree more. There are a lot of top fightwers who would win a lot of title fights if they could only skip all the necessary contender fights.

CuePee** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #169
CuePee**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grymreefer View Post
Are you serious HE FIGHTS AT LHW AND WOULD FIGHT AT LHW FOR THE BELT not a fucking catch weight fight and GSP should fucking move up if he wants to challenge Silva and that's the way it is in my eyes anyways.

GSP DOESN:T FINISH FIGHTS
ANDERSON FINISHES FIGHTS
GSP FIGHTS AT WW ONLY
ANDERSON FIGHTS AT MW AND LHW and Hinted around to even fighting at HW so what the fuck kind of drugs are you on.

GSP will get sonned by Anderson Silva if they ever fight. GSP will eventually have no choice but to do it and that will be here soon enough.

Anderson Silva is Undefeated in the Ufc
GSP Is not

GSP is a great fighter at playing it safe and he is very dominating because he doesn't lose and when he does lose it's usely by way of TKO OR SUB

Anderson has beat every one put infront of him, MW's and LHW's former champs from Pride and done so with relative ease.

Both are the most dominating fighters of out time besides Fedor but to act as if Anderson has something to prove to you is fucking joke.
This post is way too dumb and biased to reply to line by line.

You ignore that Anderson has said definatively that he will not fight anyone for the LHW belt at LHW and that he won't take Shogun up on his multiple challenges unless SHogun drops to MW to fight him and contend for the MW belt.

Almost everything you say above could be countered or destroyed just as that was.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #170
CuePee**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswolfe View Post
GSp has not said he wants the fight at 170. that is just the latest misinterpretation and spin of his statement where he says he does not know where the fight would take place as there have been so many comments.

And YES there is SOMETHING to suggest that GSP would accept a catchweight fight. While it is not certain he has shown a lot more openness to a catchweight or ANY fight then Anderson has.

Quote:
Speaking via TSN’s ‘Off the Record’, Dana said:

June 26, 2010
“GSP told me straight up, I’ll fight him [Anderson] right now. If you guys want to make that fight, make the fight. GSP is not concerned what so ever with fighting Anderson Silva.”

cite
and while it is clear that few details have been discussed or hammered out and GSp is trying to make it clear that nothing is yet decided with regards to where, what weight or other details a fight with Anderson would take place...it is also clear that GSp has green lit for Dana pending them working out acceptable details for both of them.

it is also clear that while Dana is confident they can work it out with Anderson and get him to agree...he has not yet.

Quote:
“It's looking like we are doing the [Silva]-GSP fight. If GSP wins his next fight, that will probably be the fight we'll do. Georges made it clear that he'll take the fight, and I think Anderson is ready to go, too.

cite
and unless Anderson has changed his view he has made it clear in the past that he won't compromise to make the GSP fight happen at catchweight or any weight. The only way it happens is the way anyone fights Anderson. Make weight at MW and contend.

Quote:
July 2010,

Well, put all those dream bookings on hold. The mercurial star now says that he's perfectly content ruling over the 185-pound weight class, and that he plans to stay there for the remainder of his career.

Eschewing possible superfights with the likes of St. Pierre and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, Silva says they'll have to meet him on his own turf to face him.

"If you want to beat me up, make weight and come fight me in my category, my division," Silva said through his manager and interpreter Ed Soares.

cite