Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
claudeb

Yellow Belt

vCash: 500
Sakara illegal blows analysis

Hi guys (and sorry in advance for being pedant)
after reading hundreds different opinions about this topic I had to watch the video in slow-mo and go through every single shot, take a snapshot and summarize.

In my humble opinion:
1) Legal (completely missed, lands on Cote's right arm)
2) Illegal (because it landed directly on the spine, as far as I know it's illegal. No doubt it was unintentional since Cote moved forward while Sakara was landing the same hammer-fist as before)
3) Legal (touches the ear)
4) Legal (it lands on the shoulder, there is another broadcast-ed pic of this blow that shows it)
5) I can't tell. Considering the pic I saw here explaining the "Mohawk" area I can't really tell if was in or out
6) Illegal, back of the head. Intentional? You decide, Sakara was landing the same technique over and over while Cote was moving up and down. This blow didn't ko'ed Cote that is moving forward after
7) Legal because hits the ear
8) Final hammer-fist. This is the KO shots and surprisingly is probably the cleanest shot, it lands perfectly on the side of the head
9) Illegal and nasty (neck and back of the head). Cote is already unconscious and the fight its over because the referee already jumped to stop it. Despite that is awful to watch it is clearly the same strike as before landed on the back of the head because Cote fell.

I personally believe that mot of us is biased by Goldberg commentary that counted 4/5 blows without being fully aware of the rules.

Summarizing I believe that there were 2/3 illegal and unintentional strikes during the fight and 1 nasty blow after. None of these 2/3 illegal strikes caused the KO, that was determined by legal shots on the side on the head (on a Cote already rocked by the previous elbows). But that's just my opinion, I respect who thinks different after looking carefully at the video. Cheers

claudeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
GordaoPreguico

Brown Belt

Thanks for the screen caps.

GordaoPreguico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
MMAct
Banned

5 is illegal, it's kinda obvious IMO.
There is no question about the blows, but this fight should've been a no contest because the referee failed to warn the fighter.
Anyway a DQ isn't outrageous, it's just harsh.
End of story as far as I'm concerned.

MMAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
lionp

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudeb View Post
Hi guys (and sorry in advance for being pedant)
after reading hundreds different opinions about this topic I had to watch the video in slow-mo and go through every single shot, take a snapshot and summarize.

In my humble opinion:
1) Legal (completely missed, lands on Cote's right arm)
2) Illegal (because it landed directly on the spine, as far as I know it's illegal. No doubt it was unintentional since Cote moved forward while Sakara was landing the same hammer-fist as before)
3) Legal (touches the ear)
4) Legal (it lands on the shoulder, there is another broadcast-ed pic of this blow that shows it)
5) I can't tell. Considering the pic I saw here explaining the "Mohawk" area I can't really tell if was in or out
6) Illegal, back of the head. Intentional? You decide, Sakara was landing the same technique over and over while Cote was moving up and down. This blow didn't ko'ed Cote that is moving forward after
7) Legal because hits the ear
8) Final hammer-fist. This is the KO shots and surprisingly is probably the cleanest shot, it lands perfectly on the side of the head
9) Illegal and nasty (neck and back of the head). Cote is already unconscious and the fight its over because the referee already jumped to stop it. Despite that is awful to watch it is clearly the same strike as before landed on the back of the head because Cote fell.

I personally believe that mot of us is biased by Goldberg commentary that counted 4/5 blows without being fully aware of the rules.

Summarizing I believe that there were 2/3 illegal and unintentional strikes during the fight and 1 nasty blow after. None of these 2/3 illegal strikes caused the KO, that was determined by legal shots on the side on the head (on a Cote already rocked by the previous elbows). But that's just my opinion, I respect who thinks different after looking carefully at the video. Cheers
Nice analysis. Looking at the bigger picture, I kind of blame Cote - don't sit in a position where you're exposed expecting a technical rule/ref to protect you. On the other hand, Sakara kept reigning down strikes that he must've known were high probability to be illegal, which is a douche move at the least.

lionp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
RampageFaction

Blue Belt

I think it's way clearer when you watch the video as opposed to still shots. I was happy with the DQ because blows to the back of the head are getting out of control and they're almost never called. I wish the ref would have called either the first or second, stopped the action and issued a warning.

RampageFaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
WINNERBYTWISTER

Purple Belt

I think the problem is that the shot that definitively put Cote out was the shot that clearly was to the back of the head.

JDS
Ellenberger
Hendo
Weidman
Hendricks
GSP
WINNERBYTWISTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
oswald1

Black Belt

Most of the hard shots were directly behind the ear. As far as I know, right behind the ear is not the back of the head. Sakara got robbed of a legit KO

Old 11-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
claudeb

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNERBYTWISTER View Post
I think the problem is that the shot that definitively put Cote out was the shot that clearly was to the back of the head.
then you should watch it again, after the two strikes on the back of the head Cote is moving forward. then he got caught by two legal strikes on the side of the head and drops unconscious.

claudeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
ABC

Silver Belt

5 is also illegal. It is on the crown of the head, exactly where the banned area starts.

ABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Azure

Blue Belt

vCash: 50
If you watch a few seconds before this he lands 2 shots to the back of his head that put him on the mat